Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How To: Make Your Own Short Metal Rulers

Process is simple:
- Grab your 5' aluminum straightedge/ruler to measure any object in
the shop
- Get a cell phone call
- Set the ruler down on your miter saw
- Finish the phone call
- Respond to wife's request for help in the house
- Answer phone again and talk to son for 15 minutes
- Get another call and lay Oak on miter saw while fumbling with the
phone
- Talk on phone for a few minutes
- Measure Oak with tape measure
- Cut Oak at mark
- Presto - two rulers.

Note: Some minor tweaking is needed to get ends of ruler to line up
with ruler graduations.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 2:19*pm, RonB wrote:
Process is simple:
- Grab your 5' aluminum straightedge/ruler to measure any object in
the shop
- Get a cell phone call
- Set the ruler down on your miter saw
- Finish the phone call
- Respond to wife's request for help in the house
- Answer phone again and talk to son for 15 minutes
- Get another call and lay Oak on miter saw while fumbling with the
phone
- Talk on phone for a few minutes
- Measure Oak with tape measure
- Cut Oak at mark
- Presto - two rulers.

Note: Some minor tweaking is needed to get ends of ruler to line up
with ruler graduations.

RonB

Loved it. Still laughing about that one.

I remember the day I made the adjustments on my old steel miter saw
permanent. With a brand new thin kerf Freud blade, I cut through TWO
(yes, TWO) bolts right at the base of the knob. Heard a bit of noise,
but that was it as the blade sliced through those low grade bolts
easily.

My helper actually thought I did that on purpose to keep him from
fiddling with the saw once I had it set up.

Thanks for the laugh.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 4:15*pm, "
wrote:
On Jan 4, 2:19*pm, RonB wrote:

I remember the day I made the adjustments on my old steel miter saw
permanent. *With a brand new thin kerf Freud blade, I cut through TWO
(yes, TWO) bolts right at the base of the knob. *Heard a bit of noise,
but that was it as the blade sliced through those low grade bolts
easily.

My helper actually thought I did that on purpose to keep him from
fiddling with the saw once I had it set up.

Thanks for the laugh.

Robert

Yeah. I heard it too.

But it was like that instant when you realize the toilet seat us up,
but there ain't a damned thing you can do about it.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 12:19:51 -0800, RonB wrote:

Talk on phone for a few minutes
- Measure Oak with tape measure
- Cut Oak at mark
- Presto - two rulers.

Do *not* try this on your new Sawstop :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 6:17*pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 12:19:51 -0800, RonB wrote:
*Talk on phone for a few minutes
- Measure Oak with tape measure
- Cut Oak at mark
- Presto - two rulers.

Do *not* try this on your new Sawstop :-).

Larry:
Instead of replying to your comment, I will respond to your byline.

" Intelligence is an experiment that failed"

Yep.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:
Process is simple:
- Grab your 5' aluminum straightedge/ruler to measure any object in
the shop
- Get a cell phone call
- Set the ruler down on your miter saw
- Finish the phone call
- Respond to wife's request for help in the house
- Answer phone again and talk to son for 15 minutes
- Get another call and lay Oak on miter saw while fumbling with the
phone
- Talk on phone for a few minutes
- Measure Oak with tape measure
- Cut Oak at mark
- Presto - two rulers.

Note: Some minor tweaking is needed to get ends of ruler to line up
with ruler graduations.

RonB

I think you were just momentarily confused about the "measure twice, and
cut once" rule... It happens.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 7:35*pm, Bill wrote:
RonB wrote:
[...]

Hee Hee. Yes, if I have anything left to measure with :^)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 12:19:51 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

Process is simple:
- Grab your 5' aluminum straightedge/ruler to measure any object in
the shop
- Get a cell phone call
- Set the ruler down on your miter saw
- Finish the phone call
- Respond to wife's request for help in the house
- Answer phone again and talk to son for 15 minutes
- Get another call and lay Oak on miter saw while fumbling with the
phone
- Talk on phone for a few minutes
- Measure Oak with tape measure
- Cut Oak at mark
- Presto - two rulers.

Note: Some minor tweaking is needed to get ends of ruler to line up
with ruler graduations.

RonB

I can attest to a cool way to divide a shop vac electrical cord into
equal halves:

1. Drape the shop vac cord over the the back of a contractor's table
saw, without paying close attention to exact placement (i.e. resting
on the drive belt).
2. Set up saw fo rthe cut, turn on shop vac, then hit the "On" switch
on the saw.
3. Hear the funny sounds, see the pretty sparks.
4. Reset breaker, patch vac cord, act like I meant to do that.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Process is simple:
- Grab your 5' aluminum straightedge/ruler to measure any object in
the shop
- Get a cell phone call
- Set the ruler down on your miter saw
- Finish the phone call
- Respond to wife's request for help in the house
- Answer phone again and talk to son for 15 minutes
- Get another call and lay Oak on miter saw while fumbling with the
phone
- Talk on phone for a few minutes
- Measure Oak with tape measure
- Cut Oak at mark
- Presto - two rulers.

Note: Some minor tweaking is needed to get ends of ruler to line up
with ruler graduations.

Ron, friends don't let friends use FARKIN' PHONES in the shop.

P.S: Condolences on your expensive lesson.

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 17:55:10 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

On Jan 4, 7:35*pm, Bill wrote:
RonB wrote:
[...]

Your modified adage is "Measure twice, cut rule."

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one
tumble down the stairs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Process is simple:
- Grab your 5' aluminum straightedge/ruler to measure any object in
the shop
- Get a cell phone call
- Set the ruler down on your miter saw
- Finish the phone call
- Respond to wife's request for help in the house
- Answer phone again and talk to son for 15 minutes
- Get another call and lay Oak on miter saw while fumbling with the
phone
- Talk on phone for a few minutes
- Measure Oak with tape measure
- Cut Oak at mark
- Presto - two rulers.

Note: Some minor tweaking is needed to get ends of ruler to line up
with ruler graduations.

Ron, friends don't let friends use FARKIN' PHONES in the shop.

P.S: Condolences on your expensive lesson.

I'd say he got off dirt-cheap. I'd rather have 1000 lessons like that
than one expensive one.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

You obviously haven't priced 5' straightedges, Bill.

I'm still wondering why people have to be glued to farkin' teevees and
phones 24/7. Amazing.

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one
tumble down the stairs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one
tumble down the stairs.

Love your Signature... Kinda like Stupidity should be painful!

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bravo...nice write up.

On 1/4/2011 3:19 PM, RonB wrote:
Process is simple:
- Grab your 5' aluminum straightedge/ruler to measure any object in

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 3:19*pm, RonB wrote:
Process is simple:
- Grab your 5' aluminum straightedge/ruler to measure any object in
the shop
- Get a cell phone call
- Set the ruler down on your miter saw
- Finish the phone call
- Respond to wife's request for help in the house
- Answer phone again and talk to son for 15 minutes
- Get another call and lay Oak on miter saw while fumbling with the
phone
- Talk on phone for a few minutes
- Measure Oak with tape measure
- Cut Oak at mark
- Presto - two rulers.

Note: Some minor tweaking is needed to get ends of ruler to line up
with ruler graduations.

RonB

When I saw the subject line, I (wrongly) assumed it was a thread about
some sort of small rule, made to please a neander in his quest for
perfect dove-tails and superbly balanced scraper blades.
What I read was a very funny 'slice-of-modern-life' anecdote. The kind
of story which reassured me that something like that neither has, nor
will ever happen to me. Like... in my world, sometimes I use a
circular saw to cut a countertop, including its build-up, to length on
the workbench. That means the blade is dropped below the shoe ± 1-5/8"
which I 'ALWAYS' raise back up to the normal height of 3/4"....unless
the cellphone rings. Then I (would) get to destroy expensive aluminum
workbench rails.....IF I was to ever forget to raise the blade back
up..... more than once.
Cellphones do NOT have a place in an active workshop, but DO have a
place if you're running a business from that workshop....