Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porter Cable router bits

Are they any good?

Is this a good deal?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...campaign=V1928

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 1, 9:27*am, "SBH" wrote:
Are they any good?

Is this a good deal?http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...e=NL&utm_mediu...

That is a great deal. Too bad they're not 1/2" shank instead of 1/4"
especially for the 1/2 cove bit.

RP
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote in message
Are they any good?

Is this a good deal?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...campaign=V1928

Yes its a good deal. If you need that type 3 Piece Porter Cable Cove Router
Bit Set you do not have much to loose at $14.99 for three pieces set. I
have used the Porter Cable bits and so far they have performed well.
If you have a need for it, the Freud Quadra-Cut Classical Cove & Round Bits
at $19.99 each, in my view is a better buy. I have used Freud router bits
with good results.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Denis M" wrote in message

"SBH" wrote in message
Are they any good?

Is this a good deal?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...campaign=V1928

Yes its a good deal. If you need that type 3 Piece Porter Cable Cove
Router Bit Set you do not have much to loose at $14.99 for three pieces
set. I have used the Porter Cable bits and so far they have performed
well.
If you have a need for it, the Freud Quadra-Cut Classical Cove & Round
Bits at $19.99 each, in my view is a better buy. I have used Freud router
bits with good results.

I agree, Freuds are great bits and I have a few, but never used PC bits and
wondered about the quality. I am apprehensive about the shank size, but for
that price, as long as they are quality bits, I'll take a chance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote in message

"Denis M" wrote in message

"SBH" wrote in message
Are they any good?

Is this a good deal?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...campaign=V1928

Yes its a good deal. If you need that type 3 Piece Porter Cable Cove
Router Bit Set you do not have much to loose at $14.99 for three pieces
set. I have used the Porter Cable bits and so far they have performed
well.
If you have a need for it, the Freud Quadra-Cut Classical Cove & Round
Bits at $19.99 each, in my view is a better buy. I have used Freud
router bits with good results.

I agree, Freuds are great bits and I have a few, but never used PC bits
and wondered about the quality. I am apprehensive about the shank size,
but for that price, as long as they are quality bits, I'll take a chance.

The 1/2" shank size is far better. Freud claimed that they are using a
dropped forged casting instead of a machined mandrel to house the carbide
inserts.

Carbide is made with power metal and baked to specific procedures. The
quality is difficult to verify before using it. When working on 24 hours
shift mast production we learned who had the best carbide. Replacing a
carbide insert on a production line is expensive. We soon found out that it
was worth it to paid a little more. But for the hobbyists regular carbide
grade may be good enough. Porter Cable claimed that their sub fabricator in
China is using grade C 4?

As for me when I make raised panel doors I like a better carbide grade and
mandrel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Having a friend that is a Carbide expert - owns company - he sent me
a couple of booklets. Copy these down for future reference:

C grades classification (not all companies make the same chem mix.)
C1-4 are general for cast iron, non-ferrous and non-metallic materials
C-1 Roughing
C-2 General Purpose typical wood
C-3 Finishing
C-4 Precision

5-7 steel and steel alloys - resist pitting

C-5 Roughing
C-6 General purpose
C-7 Finishing
C-8 Precision

Wear surface:
C-9 No shock
C-10 Light Shock
C-11 Heavy Shock

Impact
C-12 Light
C-13 Medium
C-14 heavy

C15-c19 Misc - mostly very special...

Martin

On 1/1/2011 9:26 AM, Denis M wrote:
wrote in message

"Denis wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the information.

When asking Tools King they quickly replied

that Porter Cable sub-fabricators in China was using C4.

Lee Valley replied that their router bits were made in China and the grading
was made

as per their specifications? Lee Valley was unable to provide further
information.

I purchased a Lee Valley Shaker raised panel bit and it performs well, so
far.

On sale ($9.95) at Tools King I bought a Porter Cable 1" core bit with a
1/4" shank.

At first I was very doubtful about the 1/4" shank. I used it with pine,
maple and oak and

It performs well. The question is for how long will this bit keep its
precision and last.

Sharpening of carbide bits could be tricky and costly. At time it could be
cheaper to replace the bit with a new one.

wrote in message

"Denis wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 06:24:42 -0400, Denis M wrote:

Sharpening of carbide bits could be tricky and costly. At time it could
be cheaper to replace the bit with a new one.

Every time I use a bit I give it a few swipes with a diamond hone before
I put it away. Seems to extend lifespan quite a bit but of course that's
a subjective judgment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 06:24:42 -0400, Denis M wrote:

Sharpening of carbide bits could be tricky and costly. At time it could
be cheaper to replace the bit with a new one.

Every time I use a bit I give it a few swipes with a diamond hone before
I put it away. Seems to extend lifespan quite a bit but of course that's
a subjective judgment.

I like the idea of using a diamond hone before storing the bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd say as long as you kept the bit on pine and maple and oak.

The 'rose' woods will eat it alive - massive amounts of silicon
in the wood. The sand will dull edges.

If you must, have a rough one to mill out small amounts at a time
and a newer one to to the last fine cut. - Use depth of cut for
small cleaner cuts. Work downwards to finally depth.

Keep one for quality work like you tried.

Martin

wrote in message

"Denis wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 15:59:28 -0400, "Denis M"
wrote:

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 06:24:42 -0400, Denis M wrote:

Sharpening of carbide bits could be tricky and costly. At time it could
be cheaper to replace the bit with a new one.

Every time I use a bit I give it a few swipes with a diamond hone before
I put it away. Seems to extend lifespan quite a bit but of course that's
a subjective judgment.

I like the idea of using a diamond hone before storing the bit.

This is a very handy and inexpensive monocrystaline set:
http://tinyurl.com/34egbt2 I keep mine in the truck.

EzeLaps are polycrystalline, and a tiny bit cheaper, but I prefer the
DMTs. (I own both in 600 grit 2x6" plates.)
http://tinyurl.com/34txw74

--
Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins
when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in