Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Opinions On the Dewalt DW743 Flip-Over Saw

I'm looking to replace my Dewalt 1501 RAS with something a little bit
smaller. I want maximum versatility and accuracy and I've been looking at
the Dewalt DW743 Flip-Over saw.

This is for general carpentry and some furniture making. Does anyone have
one of these or can anyone give me some feedback?

Thanks

Ian

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had never seen one before, but it appears to be a great saw for the
trades.

On 12/31/2010 12:15 PM, Ian James wrote:
I'm looking to replace my Dewalt 1501 RAS with something a little bit
smaller. I want maximum versatility and accuracy and I've been looking
at the Dewalt DW743 Flip-Over saw.

This is for general carpentry and some furniture making. Does anyone
have one of these or can anyone give me some feedback?

Thanks

Ian

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/31/10 11:15 AM, Ian James wrote:
I'm looking to replace my Dewalt 1501 RAS with something a little bit
smaller. I want maximum versatility and accuracy and I've been looking
at the Dewalt DW743 Flip-Over saw.

This is for general carpentry and some furniture making. Does anyone
have one of these or can anyone give me some feedback?

My initial impression is, "Wow! I wish I'd thought of that." Very cool
looking tool.

For general carpentry, I think it would be great, especially in the back
of a truck.

But if you're wanting "accuracy.....for... some furniture making" I
wouldn't suggest that saw if you're considering using it as a table saw
very often. The table and fence are way too small to get the kind of
results you want for furniture making.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 31, 12:37*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Makita FL1000 has been around in Europe for a while now. It is cheaper
than the DeWalt.
Perfect for the installer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 31, 12:15*pm, "Ian James"
wrote:
I'm looking to replace my Dewalt 1501 RAS with something a little bit
smaller. I want maximum versatility and accuracy and I've been looking at
the Dewalt DW743 Flip-Over saw.

This is for general carpentry and some furniture making. Does anyone have
one of these or can anyone give me some feedback?

Never used such an animal, but the idea is interesting. A quick
Google showed there are a number of similar saws out there - mainly EU
fodder.
http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-...ng-power-tools

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message

Snip

Never used such an animal, but the idea is interesting. A quick
Google showed there are a number of similar saws out there - mainly EU
fodder.
http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-...ng-power-tools

Thanks for the comments - the furniture use would only be occasional so
still a contender. I need something I can move around as my garage is shared
by the car (and bikes)!

Luckily I'm EU based (UK).

Ian

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/31/10 12:08 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 31, 12:37 pm, wrote:
[...]

I'm guessing they're not over here because they wouldn't pass emissions.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 31, 12:37 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Hehehe....

It would be interesting to know the reason(s) though...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 31, 12:37 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

[...]

One of these saws would have come in very handy over the last several
months. I checked both the DeWalt and Makita US web sites and neither
seem to be available in the States.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

"RicodJour" wrote in message

Snip

Never used such an animal, but the idea is interesting. A quick
Google showed there are a number of similar saws out there - mainly EU
fodder.
http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-...ng-power-tools

Thanks for the comments - the furniture use would only be occasional so
still a contender. I need something I can move around as my garage is shared
by the car (and bikes)!

Luckily I'm EU based (UK).

If you just need to be able move it around your garage it would be a lot
cheaper to put some casters on your RAS. And after you've read the Mr.
Sawdust and Jon Eakes books http://mrsawdust.com/ and
http://www.joneakes.com/payments/review?type=product&id=radial_arm_saw
you may decide that it's a keeper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Makita FL1000 has been around in Europe for a while now. It is cheaper
than the DeWalt.
Perfect for the installer.

One of these saws would have come in very handy over the last several
months. I checked both the DeWalt and Makita US web sites and neither
seem to be available in the States.

I'll bet they do not meet OSHA specs for guarding, or something.
--
Jim in NC
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 12:38:12 -0500, "Morgans" wrote:

Makita FL1000 has been around in Europe for a while now. It is cheaper
than the DeWalt.
Perfect for the installer.

One of these saws would have come in very handy over the last several
months. I checked both the DeWalt and Makita US web sites and neither
seem to be available in the States.

I'll bet they do not meet OSHA specs for guarding, or something.

More likely they don't think there is a market for it here.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 31 2010, 12:15*pm, "Ian James"
wrote:
I'm looking to replace my Dewalt 1501 RAS with something a little bit
smaller. I want maximum versatility and accuracy and I've been looking at
the Dewalt DW743 Flip-Over saw.

Kool tool. But I find having two is better. Set up and changeover's a
pain. As suggested, add casters to your RAS - i did using a trolley
thing that I could swing down and lock in place. This raised the rear
of the saw effectively engaging the two fixed casters (off a grocery
store shopping cart) at the front of the stand.

I modified my stand so that it was plumb along the rear and splayed
out to the left, right and front so that it would fit flush against
the wall when not in use and added some drawers / shelving to utilize
the space under the saw.

At one point I had a folding table for it where the left and right
"wings" folded down along each side allowing the saw to slip into a
narrow (respectively) space.

Having said all that, if I could only hav e one saw in my shop, it
would be as good a TS as I could afford.