Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Christmas lights

Off topic, but i know there's a lot of normal, reasonable people here.

I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now. What i don't know is
where to start. Who sells the hardware and software, how do you know
which stuff is the best to have, etc?? Any and all input and links are
appreciated.
--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote:
Off topic, but i know there's a lot of normal, reasonable people here.

I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now. What i don't know
is where to start. Who sells the hardware and software, how do you
know which stuff is the best to have, etc?? Any and all input and
links are appreciated.

There's a lot of controller options out there. This is a good time to be
looking because the retailers are marking down what they have left, to get
rid of it. Look at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. The big box stores sell
controllers and they may have some left that they're marking down. Don't
know anything about their complexity, because I don't use them. Go with LED
lights - a fraction of the cost to run compared to incandescent bulbs.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/25/2010 12:50 PM, Josepi wrote:
Ask in comp.home.automation.

"Steve wrote in message
Off topic, but i know there's a lot of normal, reasonable people here.

I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now. What i don't know is
where to start. Who sells the hardware and software, how do you know
which stuff is the best to have, etc?? Any and all input and links are
appreciated.

thanks!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote:
Off topic, but i know there's a lot of normal, reasonable people here.

I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now. What i don't know is
where to start. Who sells the hardware and software, how do you know
which stuff is the best to have, etc?? Any and all input and links are
appreciated.

Try a Google search for "holiday lighting controller". There are a
number of web sites with basic instructions and retailer that have put
together different controller packages.

Here are some examples.

http://www.theholidaylightstore.com/...hting-faq.html

http://www.wowlights.com/ProductDeta...y=3&Product=47

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:

Off topic, but i know there's a lot of normal, reasonable people here.

I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now. What i don't know
is where to start. Who sells the hardware and software, how do you
know which stuff is the best to have, etc?? Any and all input and
links are appreciated.

Try a Google search for "holiday lighting controller". There are a
number of web sites with basic instructions and retailer that have put
together different controller packages.

Here are some examples.

http://www.theholidaylightstore.com/...hting-faq.html

http://www.wowlights.com/ProductDeta...y=3&Product=47

The first link I posted was the wrong one. It should have been:

http://www.animatedlighting.com/pdf/...ze_7-30-04.pdf

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/25/2010 2:54 PM, Nova wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
Off topic, but i know there's a lot of normal, reasonable people here.

I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now. What i don't know is
where to start. Who sells the hardware and software, how do you know
which stuff is the best to have, etc?? Any and all input and links are
appreciated.

Try a Google search for "holiday lighting controller". There are a
number of web sites with basic instructions and retailer that have put
together different controller packages.

Here are some examples.

http://www.theholidaylightstore.com/...hting-faq.html

http://www.wowlights.com/ProductDeta...y=3&Product=47

Thanks for the reply. I've already run across the Lightorama stuff like
on the wowlights dot com site.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/25/2010 2:58 PM, Nova wrote:
Nova wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:

Off topic, but i know there's a lot of normal, reasonable people here.

I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now. What i don't know
is where to start. Who sells the hardware and software, how do you
know which stuff is the best to have, etc?? Any and all input and
links are appreciated.

Try a Google search for "holiday lighting controller". There are a
number of web sites with basic instructions and retailer that have put
together different controller packages.

Here are some examples.

http://www.theholidaylightstore.com/...hting-faq.html

http://www.wowlights.com/ProductDeta...y=3&Product=47

The first link I posted was the wrong one. It should have been:

http://www.animatedlighting.com/pdf/...ze_7-30-04.pdf

Cool! that joint is in KC and I'm just south of there.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Steve Barker wrote:
Off topic, but i know there's a lot of normal, reasonable people here.

I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now.

Right about now, Steve, I'm glad you live a couple thousand miles away from
me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/25/2010 11:41 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
In articleMuadnefkruE4sYvQnZ2dnUVZ_qidnZ2d@giganews. com, Steve wrote:
Off topic, but i know there's a lot of normal, reasonable people here.

I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now.

Right about now, Steve, I'm glad you live a couple thousand miles away from
me.

I would seriously think several times if i lived in those yuppie
neighborhoods with the 8 foot spacing. My closest neighbor is a half
mile, and it's my son. After that, the next house is two miles. I
would have to have a word with all my neighbors BEFORE embarking on such
a thing if i lived in town. We went out tonight on a 6 hour tour and
saw several systems i probably wouldn't want to live next to.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now.

Right about now, Steve, I'm glad you live a couple thousand miles away
from
me.

Not much use being distant from light displays these days. Thousand
Christmas Lights disease epidemic seems to be spreading exponentially. I've
seen several of them in Toronto with their light displays 3x brighter than
Toronto's Pearson airport.

Posted to rec.woodworking

?
"Upscale" wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now.

Right about now, Steve, I'm glad you live a couple thousand miles away
from
me.

Not much use being distant from light displays these days. Thousand
Christmas Lights disease epidemic seems to be spreading exponentially.
I've seen several of them in Toronto with their light displays 3x brighter
than Toronto's Pearson airport.

A modest display is nice. Some of these displays are probably the same
people that "need" a Hummer to go to the grocery store too. I just don't
get it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/26/2010 7:31 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
"Upscale" wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now.

Right about now, Steve, I'm glad you live a couple thousand miles
away from
me.

Not much use being distant from light displays these days. Thousand
Christmas Lights disease epidemic seems to be spreading exponentially.
I've seen several of them in Toronto with their light displays 3x
brighter than Toronto's Pearson airport.

A modest display is nice. Some of these displays are probably the same
people that "need" a Hummer to go to the grocery store too. I just don't
get it.

Hey ... they have to outdo the Halloween lights they put up, and none
too soon, after all.

Farking Halloween farking lights, ferrcrrisssakes ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Upscale" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now.

Right about now, Steve, I'm glad you live a couple thousand miles away
from
me.

Not much use being distant from light displays these days. Thousand
Christmas Lights disease epidemic seems to be spreading exponentially. I've
seen several of them in Toronto with their light displays 3x brighter than
Toronto's Pearson airport.

It's not the light displays that bother me. It's the "putting them to music"
that gets me -- seems that there aren't any quiet places left any more.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now.

Right about now, Steve, I'm glad you live a couple thousand miles
away from
me.

Not much use being distant from light displays these days. Thousand
Christmas Lights disease epidemic seems to be spreading exponentially.
I've seen several of them in Toronto with their light displays 3x
brighter than Toronto's Pearson airport.

A modest display is nice. Some of these displays are probably the same
people that "need" a Hummer to go to the grocery store too. I just don't
get it.

Or need a Hummer at all. Kind of like the Corvette syndrome. Worthless
car, and 99% of the owners are total assholes.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/26/2010 11:46 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
In , wrote:

"Doug wrote in message
I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now.

Right about now, Steve, I'm glad you live a couple thousand miles away
from
me.

Not much use being distant from light displays these days. Thousand
Christmas Lights disease epidemic seems to be spreading exponentially. I've
seen several of them in Toronto with their light displays 3x brighter than
Toronto's Pearson airport.

It's not the light displays that bother me. It's the "putting them to music"
that gets me -- seems that there aren't any quiet places left any more.

Oh the music is not loud speakered, it's transmitted on FM, you tune
your car radio to it. (or not)

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now.

Right about now, Steve, I'm glad you live a couple thousand miles
away from
me.

Not much use being distant from light displays these days. Thousand
Christmas Lights disease epidemic seems to be spreading exponentially.
I've seen several of them in Toronto with their light displays 3x
brighter than Toronto's Pearson airport.

A modest display is nice. Some of these displays are probably the same
people that "need" a Hummer to go to the grocery store too. I just don't
get it.

Or need a Hummer at all. Kind of like the Corvette syndrome. Worthless
car, and 99% of the owners are total assholes.

Like the old" what's the difference between a TransAm and a
Porcupine" question.

On a Porcupine the pricks are on the outside
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Doug wrote in message
I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now.

Right about now, Steve, I'm glad you live a couple thousand miles away
from
me.

Not much use being distant from light displays these days. Thousand
Christmas Lights disease epidemic seems to be spreading exponentially. I've
seen several of them in Toronto with their light displays 3x brighter than
Toronto's Pearson airport.

It's not the light displays that bother me. It's the "putting them to music"
that gets me -- seems that there aren't any quiet places left any more.

Oh the music is not loud speakered, it's transmitted on FM, you tune
your car radio to it. (or not)

Ahh, that's very different. Thanks for the clarification.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Doug wrote in message
I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and
putting them to music like so many are doing now.

Right about now, Steve, I'm glad you live a couple thousand miles away
from
me.

Not much use being distant from light displays these days. Thousand
Christmas Lights disease epidemic seems to be spreading exponentially. I've
seen several of them in Toronto with their light displays 3x brighter than
Toronto's Pearson airport.

It's not the light displays that bother me. It's the "putting them to music"
that gets me -- seems that there aren't any quiet places left any more.

Oh the music is not loud speakered, it's transmitted on FM, you tune
your car radio to it. (or not)

Ahh, that's very different. Thanks for the clarification.

If you haven't experienced any yet, i implore you to drive around or
google them out and go see some. They are quite impressive.

--
Steve Barker