Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The price of MDF What the HEY?????

I went to Home Desperate today to pickup up some ply, some mdf and
hardboard.

I needed the ply for my case work. it was priced reasonably.

The MDF ... OMG to coin the kids phrase... Last year I paid 19 for MDF.
It is now $29.90... What the hey. I wanted to make a sound enclosure so
I wanted the density of MDF. The sanded pine 23/32 was only $24.. Why
did MDF skyrocket? It's crap sawdust that's glued together
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 5:35*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
I went to Home Desperate today to pickup up some ply, some mdf and
hardboard.

I needed the ply for my case work. it was priced reasonably.

The MDF ... OMG to coin the kids phrase... Last year I paid 19 for MDF.
It is now $29.90... What the hey. *I wanted to make a sound enclosure so
I wanted the density of MDF. The sanded pine 23/32 was only $24.. Why
did MDF skyrocket? It's crap sawdust that's glued together

Freight costs. ****'s heavy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

They ship it in ****.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

The MDF ... OMG to coin the kids phrase... Last year I paid 19 for MDF.
It is now $29.90... What the hey. I wanted to make a sound enclosure so
I wanted the density of MDF. The sanded pine 23/32 was only $24.. Why
did MDF skyrocket? It's crap sawdust that's glued together

Be glad you don't require "Formaldehyde-free" product or you'd have add
at least 50% more to the higher price--and be thankful you could get it!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 6:21*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/14/10 4:51 PM, Robatoy wrote:

On Dec 14, 5:35 pm, tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com *wrote:
I went to Home Desperate today to pickup up some ply, some mdf and
hardboard.

I needed the ply for my case work. it was priced reasonably.

The MDF ... OMG to coin the kids phrase... Last year I paid 19 for MDF..
It is now $29.90... What the hey. *I wanted to make a sound enclosure so
I wanted the density of MDF. The sanded pine 23/32 was only $24.. Why
did MDF skyrocket? It's crap sawdust that's glued together

Freight costs. ****'s heavy.

They ship it in ****.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

It _is_****
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message
I went to Home Desperate today to pickup up some ply, some mdf and
hardboard.

I needed the ply for my case work. it was priced reasonably.

The MDF ... OMG to coin the kids phrase... Last year I paid 19 for MDF.
It is now $29.90... What the hey. I wanted to make a sound enclosure so I
wanted the density of MDF. The sanded pine 23/32 was only $24.. Why did
MDF skyrocket? It's crap sawdust that's glued together

Usually, if the price difference is big, the quality will not be the same.
I think they are two different quality .
Please check the quality factors and specifications for MDF, which are
helpful for you to check whether they are the same quality:
Wood species;
Formaldehyde emission class;
Glue type;
Rates of moisture proof;
Color of MDF (usually dark color MDF is cheaper);
Density;
Thickness & size.

---------
http://www.Towood.com/ - MDF exporters and fiber board importers

Posted to rec.woodworking

Towood.com - Export MDF wrote:

Usually, if the price difference is big, the quality will not be the
same. I think they are two different quality .
Please check the quality factors and specifications for MDF, which are
helpful for you to check whether they are the same quality:
Wood species;
Formaldehyde emission class;
Glue type;
Rates of moisture proof;
Color of MDF (usually dark color MDF is cheaper);
Density;
Thickness & size.

Is the dark stuff made from the bark?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/10 5:47 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 14, 6:21 pm, wrote:
On 12/14/10 4:51 PM, Robatoy wrote:

On Dec 14, 5:35 pm, tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com wrote:
I went to Home Desperate today to pickup up some ply, some mdf and
hardboard.

I needed the ply for my case work. it was priced reasonably.

The MDF ... OMG to coin the kids phrase... Last year I paid 19 for MDF.
It is now $29.90... What the hey. I wanted to make a sound enclosure so
I wanted the density of MDF. The sanded pine 23/32 was only $24.. Why
did MDF skyrocket? It's crap sawdust that's glued together

Freight costs. ****'s heavy.

They ship it in ****.

It _is_****

I thought it was vomit.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 6:21 pm, *wrote:
On 12/14/10 4:51 PM, Robatoy wrote:

On Dec 14, 5:35 pm, tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com * *wrote:
I went to Home Desperate today to pickup up some ply, some mdf and
hardboard.

I needed the ply for my case work. it was priced reasonably.

The MDF ... OMG to coin the kids phrase... Last year I paid 19 for MDF.
It is now $29.90... What the hey. *I wanted to make a sound enclosure so
I wanted the density of MDF. The sanded pine 23/32 was only $24.. Why
did MDF skyrocket? It's crap sawdust that's glued together

Freight costs. ****'s heavy.

They ship it in ****.

It _is_****

I thought it was vomit.

Termite puke, to be precise.

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 6:05*pm, "http://www.Towood.com/ - Import MDF" abc+mdf-
wrote:

Snip

quality MDF

^^^^^^^^^^^^

???? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 15, 12:58*am, "www.Towood.com - MDF importers" abc
wrote:
"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message

On Dec 14, 6:05 pm, "http://www.Towood.com/- Import MDF" abc+mdf-
wrote:

Snip

quality MDF

* ^^^^^^^^^^^^

???? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Luigi

I mean: generally speaking, the higher the quality of MDF, the lighter the
color of MDF and the less dross or impurity in the wood fibers for the MDF.

Source, please. And for certain applications, mdf is simply
fabulous. IMNSHO.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Whittingham wrote:

Source, please. And for certain applications, mdf is simply
fabulous. IMNSHO.

I agree. I can think of few things that I'd rather fill a hole in the
ground with than MDF. Or - anything better to **** on.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 21:39:30 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Mark Whittingham wrote:

Source, please. And for certain applications, mdf is simply
fabulous. IMNSHO.

I agree. I can think of few things that I'd rather fill a hole in the
ground with than MDF. Or - anything better to **** on.

Acoustically, they're better in speakers than real wood.
That's my only kudo for termite barf.
Particle board sucks the big one, and I haven't yet tried any MDO.
I've toyed with hardwood-veneered MDF, and it pretty much sucks, too.

--
Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises.
-- Demosthenes

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Mark Whittingham wrote:

Source, please. *And for certain applications, mdf is simply
fabulous. *IMNSHO.

I agree. *I can think of few things that I'd rather fill a hole in the
ground with than MDF. *Or - anything better to **** on.

Acoustically, they're better in speakers than real wood.
That's my only kudo for termite barf.
Particle board sucks the big one, and I haven't yet tried any MDO.
I've toyed with hardwood-veneered MDF, and it pretty much sucks, too.

MDO is great. It's G1S exterior plywood with a waterproof paper &
resin (?) overlay. Used mainly for outdoor signs & it's quite smooth.
If you need a durable flat surface outside, it's perfect.

I have used it as the table/stand for my chop saw, which usually stays
outside in our Yukon banana belt climate (the saw itself gets covered
in plastic). It's still in perfect shape after 5-6 years (IIRC) other
than a couple of screw holes where the screws have rusted.

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 10:27:51 -0800 (PST), Luigi Zanasi
wrote:

wrote:
Mark Whittingham wrote:

Source, please. *And for certain applications, mdf is simply
fabulous. *IMNSHO.

I agree. *I can think of few things that I'd rather fill a hole in the
ground with than MDF. *Or - anything better to **** on.

Acoustically, they're better in speakers than real wood.
That's my only kudo for termite barf.
Particle board sucks the big one, and I haven't yet tried any MDO.
I've toyed with hardwood-veneered MDF, and it pretty much sucks, too.

MDO is great. It's G1S exterior plywood with a waterproof paper &
resin (?) overlay. Used mainly for outdoor signs & it's quite smooth.
If you need a durable flat surface outside, it's perfect.

Phenolic resins. http://tinyurl.com/36esadt
I also looked up G1S, a term I had never heard. Good one side. We know
it down here as ACX, or A quality front side, C quality back, and
exterior glue.
http://www.canply.org/english/produc...sanded_g1s.htm

I have used it as the table/stand for my chop saw, which usually stays
outside in our Yukon banana belt climate (the saw itself gets covered
in plastic). It's still in perfect shape after 5-6 years (IIRC) other
than a couple of screw holes where the screws have rusted.

That's a good test climate.

--
The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
-- Okakura Kakuzo
Posted to rec.woodworking

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

wrote:

[...]