Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sketchup Cutlist 4.1.1 question

Is there any way to tell Cutlis 4.1 to use *multiple* different board
widths and to either manualy assign a component to a board width or to
best-fit a component to a board width?

The problem is that my project for example use 1x12 for the sides but
also has 1x2, 1x3 and 1x4 for the face frames and styles.

The way it works now either I specify 1x12 and everything gets placed
there (wasting some good wide boards and requiring needless rip cuts) or
I specify a board size smaller than 1x12 and it panelizes the 1x12's.

I could of course get around this by running cut list multiple times --
each time with just components of one board with selected but.... it
would be so much better/easier if it could either be done automatically
or via keywords in the component name.

Am I missing somethin?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote in message
Is there any way to tell Cutlis 4.1 to use *multiple* different board
widths and to either manualy assign a component to a board width or to
best-fit a component to a board width?

The problem is that my project for example use 1x12 for the sides but
also has 1x2, 1x3 and 1x4 for the face frames and styles.

The way it works now either I specify 1x12 and everything gets placed
there (wasting some good wide boards and requiring needless rip cuts) or
I specify a board size smaller than 1x12 and it panelizes the 1x12's.

I could of course get around this by running cut list multiple times --
each time with just components of one board with selected but.... it
would be so much better/easier if it could either be done automatically
or via keywords in the component name.

Am I missing somethin?

IMHO Cutlist 4.1 is a marginal tool. I personally only use it to create a
component list for importation into Cutlist Plus, another program all
together that is many times more versitile.
Cutlist Plus can be tweaked 9 way to Sunday and will allow you to move
pieces/components around and to other panels or boards.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 11:06*am, blueman wrote:
Is there any way to tell Cutlis 4.1 to use *multiple* different board
widths and to either manualy assign a component to a board width or to
best-fit a component to a board width?

I don't use it too often but I do something like you mention all the
time. I enter raw materials under Dimensioned lumber in widths, like
Pine-12, Pine-10, Pine-8, etc.

Then when I create the input list (I use Excel for my BOM's and
estimating, etc, so I just dump that to CSV.) I have a column for
Material Type and a column for Material Name and I just make sure I
put Pine-12 in any parts I want assigned to 12 inch boards and Pine-8
for any I want to force to 8 inch boards, etc.

Does this help?

The other thing that comes to mind is the various "Optomize" choices
when running the layouts. Maybe one of them would selct minimum board
width or something. Never tried it.

SketchUp - CutList plugin 4.1.1 Swingman Woodworking 1 October 11th 10 03:58 PM
Sketchup Question Lee Michaels Woodworking 58 October 11th 09 10:23 PM
Sketchup question notbob Woodworking 49 June 5th 09 01:53 AM
Another Sketchup Question Jeff Gorman Woodworking 2 March 10th 09 07:36 PM
Sketchup Question Lee Michaels Woodworking 0 March 8th 09 02:57 PM