Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Accentuating Quilted Maple

I'm building a jewelry box out of quilted maple for my daughter.
I'm looking for stain/dye suggestions to accentuate the grain. As I
understand it, using a colored shellac will also aid the process.

Thanks for the help.

~Mark.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Might I suggest going to you tube and looking for Charles Neils
excellent video on dealing with quilted maple.

He shows you how to make it really pop. I did it his way and was
astounded how great it looked.

On 12/6/2010 3:07 PM, Woody wrote:
I'm building a jewelry box out of quilted maple for my daughter.
I'm looking for stain/dye suggestions to accentuate the grain. As I
understand it, using a colored shellac will also aid the process.

Thanks for the help.

~Mark.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am having trouble locating the original video that Charles produced.
In it he basically tells you to dye, sand, dye, sand, dye, sand until
you get the desired effect. Most of us would never sand after putting on
a finish, but with this method he shows how the soft wood keeps
absorbing in a controlled env, by sanding off the hard wood since the
soft has absorbed the finish it gets darker further beneath.

I'm still looking for a link for you.

On 12/6/2010 3:07 PM, Woody wrote:
I'm building a jewelry box out of quilted maple for my daughter.
I'm looking for stain/dye suggestions to accentuate the grain. As I
understand it, using a colored shellac will also aid the process.

Thanks for the help.

~Mark.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Since the video by Neils seems hard to come by, try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx8mp3Ag36s

This may have been the video by Neil that was mentioned in the other posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWCptCxNx4I

Deb

I'm building a jewelry box out of quilted maple for my daughter.
I'm looking for stain/dye suggestions to accentuate the grain. As I
understand it, using a colored shellac will also aid the process.

Thanks for the help.

~Mark.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 15:07:25 -0500, Woody
wrote:

I'm building a jewelry box out of quilted maple for my daughter.
I'm looking for stain/dye suggestions to accentuate the grain. As I
understand it, using a colored shellac will also aid the process.

Thanks for the help.

~Mark.

I have done a fair amount of work with quilted maple. I bought about
150 board feet of reject quilted maple for $50. I used it up and
bought a second lot. The finish that I use on most of my projects is
linseed oil, polyurethane, and turpentine mix. I wet sand using the
finish as lubricant starting with 240 working up to 600. I usually
finish with a paste wax. The oil seems to pop the finish. I don't
usually use dyes or stains. Some example of my maple work can be seen
at:

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra.../woodwork.html

Sometimes photography exaggerates the finish, sometimes it
understates.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Ray, you mention buying some wood from a mill in port angeles. I assume you
mean Port Angeles, Washington. That is my home town, I was born there in
1950. That was before the present hospital was built. The old hospital is
now the present YMCA.

Any way, what is the name of that saw mill? I have lots of relatives who
work in sawmills and an uncle who owned one.

There is some good looking stuff on your website. Love the quilted maple
and the wooden toys.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 13:13:57 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I am not sure that I ever knew the name of the mill. It is on S Fey
road. North side of 101 about 5 miles east of PA. The owner is a
real nice guy. Thanks for the compliment.