Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Recommendation for a small width bandsaw blade

About a year ago I bought a Grizzly 14" bandsaw. I asked for a blade
recomendation from this group and a lot of people liked the Wood Slicer. I
got a half inch blade and have been VERY happy with it.

I am going to do a project in a few months that will need a smaller width
blade (lots of turning). I can see blade widths from 1/8" to 3/8" in the
Highland Woodworking catalog. These blades are all made by Diamond Saw. Do
you have any recommendations on these smaller width blades?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 15:56:16 -0500, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

About a year ago I bought a Grizzly 14" bandsaw. I asked for a blade
recomendation from this group and a lot of people liked the Wood Slicer. I
got a half inch blade and have been VERY happy with it.

I am going to do a project in a few months that will need a smaller width
blade (lots of turning). I can see blade widths from 1/8" to 3/8" in the
Highland Woodworking catalog. These blades are all made by Diamond Saw. Do
you have any recommendations on these smaller width blades?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

I'm not a big fan of brand name blades, but woodslicer is highly rated..

Check the manual for your bandsaw for a radius chart.. should give you a good
idea of the recommended blade size for the type of curves you want to do.. If in
doubt, get both sizes..

I've used no-name blades from saw shops for years and am happy with them.. They
make them up to whatever length you need and they're very inexpensive..
Easier to have a selection of blades when they're $12 to $16 each (105")

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/2/2010 7:08 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Dick Snyder wrote:
About a year ago I bought a Grizzly 14" bandsaw. I asked for a blade
recomendation from this group and a lot of people liked the Wood
Slicer. I got a half inch blade and have been VERY happy with it.

I am going to do a project in a few months that will need a smaller
width blade (lots of turning). I can see blade widths from 1/8" to
3/8" in the Highland Woodworking catalog. These blades are all made
by Diamond Saw. Do you have any recommendations on these smaller
width blades?

This one:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/3...aw-blades.aspx

That assumes that 3/16 will give you a small enough radius which it probably
will. I have numerous blades from 1/8 up to 3/4 - some with high tooth
counts - that have only been used once at the most, being left over from
when I first bought the saw and didn't know what to get.

The only blades I use are the one in the URL and my much loved Wood Slicer.
When I win the lottery I am going to buy another bandsaw so I *never* have
to change blades

All I use is 3/16th skip tooth as well. I even resaw with them. All my
other blades just gather dust... I also have always had a local saw
company weld them up for me... When I first started woodworking I was
making names out of 100 year old, recycled 2x stock and got a 3/16" inch
blade for that... never looked back.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com