DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   O/T: The Hammer Dropped (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/314136-o-t-hammer-dropped.html)

Lew Hodgett[_6_] November 25th 10 04:23 AM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

Tom "The Hammer" Delay was finally found guilty today in a Texas court
of law today of money laundering ($190K) committed in 2002.

Sometimes the wheels of justice grind slow, but they also grind fine.

Lew

Robatoy[_2_] November 25th 10 05:04 AM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

On Nov 24, 11:23*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Tom "The Hammer" Delay was finally found guilty today in a Texas court
of law today of money laundering ($190K) committed in 2002.

Sometimes the wheels of justice grind slow, but they also grind fine.

Lew

That scumbag won't do time.

Doug Winterburn November 25th 10 05:15 AM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

On 11/24/2010 09:23 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Tom "The Hammer" Delay was finally found guilty today in a Texas court
of law today of money laundering ($190K) committed in 2002.

Sometimes the wheels of justice grind slow, but they also grind fine.

Lew

Takes decades to unmask the scumbags:

http://politics.usnews.com/news/articles/2010/11/24/a-lonely-guilty-verdict-for-charlie-rangel.html

WW[_2_] November 25th 10 05:42 AM

The Hammer Dropped

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...
Tom "The Hammer" Delay was finally found guilty today in a Texas court of
law today of money laundering ($190K) committed in 2002.

Sometimes the wheels of justice grind slow, but they also grind fine.

Lew

He will have a sore hand after it is slapped. ww

lektric dan November 25th 10 06:45 AM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

On Nov 24, 11:04*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 24, 11:23*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Tom "The Hammer" Delay was finally found guilty today in a Texas court
of law today of money laundering ($190K) committed in 2002.

Sometimes the wheels of justice grind slow, but they also grind fine.

Lew

That scumbag won't do time.

I disagree. This was a *felony* conviction. He'll appeal, as he has
the right to do, but from what coverage I've seen in Austin and DFW
newspapers, he doesn't stand much chance of success.

Lobby Dosser[_3_] November 25th 10 09:12 AM

The Hammer Dropped

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...
Tom "The Hammer" Delay was finally found guilty today in a Texas court of
law today of money laundering ($190K) committed in 2002.

Sometimes the wheels of justice grind slow, but they also grind fine.

Lew

He's not in jail yet.

Larry Jaques[_3_] November 25th 10 02:29 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:23:04 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Tom "The Hammer" Delay was finally found guilty today in a Texas court
of law today of money laundering ($190K) committed in 2002.

Sometimes the wheels of justice grind slow, but they also grind fine.

http://americaswatchtower.com/2010/0...cs-violations/
http://nlpc.org/stories/2010/08/02/r...ouse-committee
And that's only two -recent- democrats.

It would appear that -all- our elected officials all wanton criminals,
wouldn't it?

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim

Robatoy[_2_] November 25th 10 02:51 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

http://americaswatchtower.com/2010/0...arged-ethics-v...
And that's only two -recent- democrats.

It would appear that -all- our elected officials all wanton criminals,
wouldn't it?

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Corruption and greed know no partisan affiliations. Neither does
stupidity.

Markem[_2_] November 25th 10 04:07 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 06:29:17 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

It would appear that -all- our elected officials all wanton criminals,
wouldn't it?

Ah yes I want term limits, and an added retirement bit at a federal
prison all expenses paid from any politcal contributions left over.

Mark

Zz Yzx November 25th 10 04:14 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

Sometimes the wheels of justice grind slow, but they also grind fine.

The actual quote reads: "The wheels of the Gods grind slowly, but they
grind exceedingly fine".

Good adaptation though.

-Zz

Max November 25th 10 05:05 PM

The Hammer Dropped

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...
Tom "The Hammer" Delay was finally found guilty today in a Texas court of
law today of money laundering ($190K) committed in 2002.

Sometimes the wheels of justice grind slow, but they also grind fine.

Lew

Texas has produced it's share of despicable politicians but Delay wins the
prize.

Max

Just Wondering November 25th 10 05:32 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

wrote:

It would appear that -all- our elected officials all wanton criminals,
wouldn't it?

Ah yes I want term limits, and an added retirement bit at a federal
prison all expenses paid from any politcal contributions left over.

Mark

And I want "None Of The Above" as a choice on every ballot.

Just Wondering November 25th 10 05:33 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

On 11/25/2010 9:14 AM, Zz Yzx wrote:
Sometimes the wheels of justice grind slow, but they also grind fine.

The actual quote reads: "The wheels of the Gods grind slowly, but they
grind exceedingly fine".

Good adaptation though.

-Zz

They also often grind exceedingly dumb.

Larry Jaques[_3_] November 26th 10 01:40 AM

The Hammer Dropped

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:05:50 -0700, "Max"
wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...
Tom "The Hammer" Delay was finally found guilty today in a Texas court of
law today of money laundering ($190K) committed in 2002.

Sometimes the wheels of justice grind slow, but they also grind fine.

Texas has produced it's share of despicable politicians but Delay wins the
prize.

The idiot gets an "A" in Irony with the last sentence in this most
quotable of statements:

"This is an abuse of power. It's a miscarriage of justice, and I still
maintain that I am innocent. The criminalization of politics
undermines our very system and I'm very disappointed in the outcome."

Gall, wot?

Edward Hennessey[_2_] November 26th 10 02:46 AM

The Hammer Dropped

wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
web.com...
Tom "The Hammer" Delay was finally found guilty today in a Texas
court of
law today of money laundering ($190K) committed in 2002.

Sometimes the wheels of justice grind slow, but they also grind
fine.

Texas has produced it's share of despicable politicians but Delay
wins the
prize.

The idiot gets an "A" in Irony with the last sentence in this most
quotable of statements:

"This is an abuse of power. It's a miscarriage of justice, and I
still
maintain that I am innocent. The criminalization of politics
undermines our very system and I'm very disappointed in the
outcome."

Gall, wot?

Hey, didn't Caesar say "All Gall is divided into three parts: I, me
and mine are always right"?
If Delay gets hammertime behind the new perspective of bars is anyone
taking odds on his
repentant apology to the people whom elected him to an office of
public trust?

Regards,

EH

Lobby Dosser[_3_] November 26th 10 03:52 AM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

wrote:

It would appear that -all- our elected officials all wanton criminals,
wouldn't it?

Ah yes I want term limits, and an added retirement bit at a federal
prison all expenses paid from any politcal contributions left over.

Mark

And I want "None Of The Above" as a choice on every ballot.

And 50+% of the total number of voters to win. None of this 47 to 33 and
some leftovers and 47 wins.

Han November 26th 10 01:14 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in news:icnaua$7u5$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

And 50+% of the total number of voters to win. None of this 47 to 33 and
some leftovers and 47 wins.

How about needing more than 1/3 of the total number of eligible voters?

--
Best regards
Han

Leon[_6_] November 26th 10 03:16 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

wrote:

It would appear that -all- our elected officials all wanton criminals,
wouldn't it?

Ah yes I want term limits, and an added retirement bit at a federal
prison all expenses paid from any politcal contributions left over.

Mark

And I want "None Of The Above" as a choice on every ballot.

And 50+% of the total number of voters to win. None of this 47 to 33 and
some leftovers and 47 wins.

I think +50% of "Eligible" voters to win. If not enough voters show up the
election is not counted and the person in office steps aside.

Leon[_6_] November 26th 10 03:18 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

"Han" wrote in message
"Lobby Dosser" wrote in news:icnaua$7u5$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

And 50+% of the total number of voters to win. None of this 47 to 33 and
some leftovers and 47 wins.

How about needing more than 1/3 of the total number of eligible voters?

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Totally agree but I would like to see 50%. Seems the candidates don't
recognise the fact that no shows are actually saying "no" to all involved.
But then the politicians don't want that fact to come out in the open.

Larry Blanchard November 26th 10 05:19 PM

The Hammer Dropped

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 17:40:30 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

"This is an abuse of power. It's a miscarriage of justice, and I still
maintain that I am innocent. The criminalization of politics undermines
our very system and I'm very disappointed in the outcome."

Gall, wot?

I especially liked "criminalization of politics" :-).

[email protected] November 26th 10 05:21 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

wrote:

It would appear that -all- our elected officials all wanton criminals,
wouldn't it?

Ah yes I want term limits, and an added retirement bit at a federal
prison all expenses paid from any politcal contributions left over.

Mark

And I want "None Of The Above" as a choice on every ballot.

And 50+% of the total number of voters to win. None of this 47 to 33 and
some leftovers and 47 wins.

I think +50% of "Eligible" voters to win. If not enough voters show up the
election is not counted and the person in office steps aside.

Who, do you propose, would fill his place?

Leon[_6_] November 26th 10 06:11 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

wrote in message

Who, do you propose, would fill his place?

Simple answer, the person that is doing all the work now. The people that
are actually making things work despite the elected officials desires.
Except now he makes the decisions of what needs to be done instead of
carrying out orders form a politician. He does so until some one is
elected.

I don't have all the answers and there are probably better solutions but the
system is compromised and will never work for the people as a whole.

Josepi[_11_] November 26th 10 06:39 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

Silly argument.

OK next time I will flip a coin and vote for the horse's ass that it falls
on.

I can still bitch because the idiot system allows the BS to still happen no
matter who I vote for. I played their game and voted religiously (there's
the problem) for 35 years and it got me jerks that I voted for and jerks
that I opposed. They have no responsibilty once they get voted in and they
have no knowledge of affairs (except Clinton) before they get voted in.

Vote "No" and follow your own advise.

BTW: I don't vote in your country anyway so you are safe from my vote
cancelling yours and a few others...LOL

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...

Sitting back on ones hands and not participating in the voting process
is not a viable option.

IMHO, if you don't vote, don't bitch should apply.

As the old saying goes, "There ain't no free lunch", especially when
it comes to voting.

Off the box.

Lew

Josepi[_11_] November 26th 10 06:40 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

Well said.

If you never apply the stain you can't bitch about the colour (ooops. color)

"Leon" wrote in message

Do you actually think that voting for the lessor of two evils is better than
not voting at all?

You have 3 choices, play the game you cannot win, play the game and loose,
or don't play the game.

IMHO voting for some you you don't believe in sends the wrong message.

IMHO, if you don't vote, don't bitch should apply.

I think just the opposite, you vote, you don't bitch. Goes with the adage,
you made your bed, now lay in it.

Josepi[_11_] November 26th 10 06:41 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

Why can't every issue have a referendum online. It can be done but somebody
wants to have the glory.

FrozenNorth[_4_] November 26th 10 07:04 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

On 11/26/10 1:39 PM, Josepi wrote:
Silly argument.

OK next time I will flip a coin and vote for the horse's ass that it falls
on.

I can still bitch because the idiot system allows the BS to still happen no
matter who I vote for. I played their game and voted religiously (there's
the problem) for 35 years and it got me jerks that I voted for and jerks
that I opposed. They have no responsibilty once they get voted in and they
have no knowledge of affairs (except Clinton) before they get voted in.

I voted for Rob Ford for Mayor, and little brother Doug for counselor.
They are both honest and good fiscal conservatives with real business
experience, not to mention real nice people.
Not sure where you are in Canada, but there is change coming here, I'll
bet my boots on it.

--
Froz...

[email protected] November 26th 10 07:33 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 12:11:00 -0600, "Leon" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Who, do you propose, would fill his place?

Simple answer, the person that is doing all the work now. The people that
are actually making things work despite the elected officials desires.
Except now he makes the decisions of what needs to be done instead of
carrying out orders form a politician. He does so until some one is
elected.

So you want a lifetime bureaucrat making the laws as well as enforcing them?
Silly.

I don't have all the answers and there are probably better solutions but the
system is compromised and will never work for the people as a whole.

The system of voting is not what's broken.

....and forcing people to do *anything* is NOT a solution. If they're too lazy
to vote, personally, I don't want them to. ...and "early voting" just
simplifies fraud.

DGDevin November 26th 10 07:40 PM

The Hammer Dropped

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

http://americaswatchtower.com/2010/0...cs-violations/
http://nlpc.org/stories/2010/08/02/r...ouse-committee

And that's only two -recent- democrats.

It would appear that -all- our elected officials all wanton criminals,
wouldn't it?

When it comes to corruption I don't see any difference between the parties.
Whoever controls the committees that spend the money is targeted by special
interests. So when the Dems controlled those committees for many long
years, they got the bulk of indictments and convictions for corruption.
When the Repubs controlled Congress it was their turn, can anyone say
"Abramoff"?

But in the cases you cite above please note there are no criminal charges
involved. I don't doubt Rangel and Waters are bent, but they aren't in
danger of being convicted of felonies, those are House ethics rules
violations. DeLay, on the other hand, is now a convicted felon facing
prison time--that's a significant difference. If we cast a wider net there
is no problem finding Dem members of Congress convicted of felonies--Wm.
Jefferson comes to mind--but the cases you mention don't qualify.

Larry W November 26th 10 08:42 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

In article ,
Josepi wrote:
...snipped...
You have 3 choices, play the game you cannot win, play the game and loose,
or don't play the game.

I'm wondering, what is the difference between the 1st & 2nd choice there?

Larry W November 26th 10 08:52 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

In article ,
Josepi wrote:
Why can't every issue have a referendum online. It can be done but somebody
wants to have the glory.

We might very well still have slavery in this country had a similar system
been implemented instead of our republic. One of the most important reasons
that our constitution has a bill of rights and created a representative
form of government was to prevent (I believe de Tocqueville's phrase)
a "tyranny of the majority."

George W Frost November 26th 10 09:13 PM

The Hammer Dropped

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 17:40:30 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

"This is an abuse of power. It's a miscarriage of justice, and I still
maintain that I am innocent. The criminalization of politics undermines
our very system and I'm very disappointed in the outcome."

Gall, wot?

I especially liked "criminalization of politics" :-).

I like castration of politicians better

CW[_6_] November 26th 10 09:44 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

"Leon" wrote in message
..

..
Do you actually think that voting for the lessor of two evils is better
than not voting at all?

Yes. It's called damage control.
Say you have a fire in your kitchen. Do you:
A) Say "oh well, the damage is done so there is no need to put it out".
B) Put the fire out knowing that the kitchen has sustained damage but at
least you can save the rest of the house.
There is a difference between having a reason and having and excuse. There
are many reasons for not voting but very few excuses.
If you can honestly say that you are incapable of making an informed,
intelligent decision, that is an excuse. "I don't like either of them" is a
reason, not an excuse.

J. Clarke[_2_] November 26th 10 10:08 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

In article ,
says...

"Leon" wrote in message
..

.
Do you actually think that voting for the lessor of two evils is better
than not voting at all?

Yes. It's called damage control.

So let's see, you've got a choice between Hitler and Stalin and you
consider voting for one or the other to be "damage control"?

Say you have a fire in your kitchen. Do you:
A) Say "oh well, the damage is done so there is no need to put it out".
B) Put the fire out knowing that the kitchen has sustained damage but at
least you can save the rest of the house.

Bad analogy. Your kitchen is on fire and you have a bucket of diesel
fuel and a bucket of JP-4. So what do you do, do you pour one of them
on the fire for "damage control" or do you admit that you don't have a
means of putting the fire out and leave the building?

J. Clarke[_2_] November 26th 10 10:09 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

In article , lcb11211
@swbell.dotnet says...

wrote in message

Who, do you propose, would fill his place?

Simple answer, the person that is doing all the work now. The people that
are actually making things work despite the elected officials desires.
Except now he makes the decisions of what needs to be done instead of
carrying out orders form a politician. He does so until some one is
elected.

I don't have all the answers and there are probably better solutions but the
system is compromised and will never work for the people as a whole.

A big problem with the current system is that nobody alive today had any
real say in its creation, we inherited it and nobody ever asked us if we
were cool with continuing it.

Larry Jaques[_3_] November 26th 10 10:35 PM

The Hammer Dropped

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 17:19:21 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 17:40:30 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

"This is an abuse of power. It's a miscarriage of justice, and I still
maintain that I am innocent. The criminalization of politics undermines
our very system and I'm very disappointed in the outcome."

Gall, wot?

I especially liked "criminalization of politics" :-).

Yeah, AS IF!

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.

Larry Jaques[_3_] November 26th 10 10:38 PM

The Hammer Dropped

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:40:33 -0800, "DGDevin"
wrote:

[...]

True. I forget how the meaning of "indictment" can vary so widely.
AFAIC, all politicians are scum and are criminal elements.

Han November 26th 10 11:16 PM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

"J. Clarke" wrote in
in.local:

A big problem with the current system is that nobody alive today had any
real say in its creation, we inherited it and nobody ever asked us if we
were cool with continuing it.

There are many problems wiith the current system, the biggest (IMNSHO) is
the amount of money, much of it unaccounted for, that is involved. Elected
persons should be accountable for performing for the best interests of the
people (broad classification). The next biggest is (again IMNSHO) that
candidates nowadays have to aim for the lowest common denominator, ie the
most people who don't object. There is little if any room for the
consideration of more than 2 viewpoints. Any 3rd of more viewpoint is
immediately a "spoiler" for one or the other.

That being said, the current system is constantly being revised
(redistricting), and the elcting systems for at least US Senate and
President has definitely changed (at least administratively).

--
Best regards
Han

Swingman November 27th 10 12:49 AM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

On 11/26/2010 5:16 PM, Han wrote:

That being said, the current system is constantly being revised
(redistricting), and the elcting systems for at least US Senate and
President has definitely changed (at least administratively).

Do not expect rational processes from an essentially dumbed down,
ignorant electorate.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Leon[_6_] November 27th 10 02:53 AM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article ,
Josepi wrote:
...snipped...
You have 3 choices, play the game you cannot win, play the game and loose,
or don't play the game.

I'm wondering, what is the difference between the 1st & 2nd choice there?

You see the point! Voting for either is a loosing proposition if you don't
like either candidate.

Leon[_6_] November 27th 10 02:57 AM

O/T: The Hammer Dropped

"CW" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
..

.
Do you actually think that voting for the lessor of two evils is better
than not voting at all?

Yes. It's called damage control.
Say you have a fire in your kitchen. Do you:
A) Say "oh well, the damage is done so there is no need to put it out".
B) Put the fire out knowing that the kitchen has sustained damage but at
least you can save the rest of the house.
There is a difference between having a reason and having and excuse. There
are many reasons for not voting but very few excuses.
If you can honestly say that you are incapable of making an informed,
intelligent decision, that is an excuse. "I don't like either of them" is
a reason, not an excuse.

This is assuming that the candidate and his short comings is as obvious as
whether to put out a fire or not. Candidates are not as predictable as a
fire.

The trouble with voting for damage control is that the winner thinks you
actually wanted him to win because of his policy, not because you wanted the
other guy to not win.