Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lee Valley Heat gun?

Has anyone tried the variable temp lee valley heat gun?
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

Opinions...
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
Has anyone tried the variable temp lee valley heat gun?
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

Opinions...

Haven't tried it but consider this one too, it's often on sale for $7.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-wa...112-96289.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/24/10 8:39 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Has anyone tried the variable temp lee valley heat gun?
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

Opinions...

For $20 what can you loose, never been disappointed by anything from LV.

Looks and specs out like a B&D I bought about 13 years ago for a
comparable price, I have abused it and so did a friend of mine, still
works, and I don't normally loan out tools.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" wrote:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

Opinions...

---------------
It's only 1,200 watts.

I'd pass.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 01:53:10 +0000 (UTC),
(Larry W) wrote:

In article ,
tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
Has anyone tried the variable temp lee valley heat gun?
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

Opinions...

Haven't tried it but consider this one too, it's often on sale for $7.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-wa...112-96289.html

I used one of those last week to soften roofing shingles so I could
extend the pumphouse for a client. I also used it 30 years ago to
remove paint from my cupboard doors. I'd say I got my eight or ten
bucks worth, don't you?

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:39:48 -0500, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
wrote:

Has anyone tried the variable temp lee valley heat gun?
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

Opinions...

Grab one. Looks more useful than the cheaper ones, but the cheaper
ones work just fine, too.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Has anyone tried the variable temp lee valley heat gun?
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

Opinions...

Grab one. Looks more useful than the cheaper ones, but the cheaper
ones work just fine, too.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Minna Thomas Antrim

I have a 1500 watt 'Digital'(wtf?) Wagner. 35 bucks I think. That
thing will light BBQ fires.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

"tiredofspam" wrote:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

Opinions...

---------------
It's only 1,200 watts.

I'd pass.

Lew

And it doesn't have feet ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , tiredofspam
wrote:

Has anyone tried the variable temp lee valley heat gun?
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

Opinions...

I have one and have no complaints, but I've only used it a couple of
times.

It worked great thawing the sprinkler manifold in the back yard when I
was surprised by an early freeze a few weeks back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:03:02 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:

Has anyone tried the variable temp lee valley heat gun?
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

Opinions...

Grab one. Looks more useful than the cheaper ones, but the cheaper
ones work just fine, too.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Minna Thomas Antrim

I have a 1500 watt 'Digital'(wtf?) Wagner. 35 bucks I think. That
thing will light BBQ fires.

Yes, the digital, enhanced squarewave, billet Vogner is truly another
advertising milestone product, such as Thom. WaterFail and MinWhacked
WoodRuiner.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

[topposting corrected]

wrote:

Has anyone tried the variable temp lee valley heat gun?
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

Opinions...

Grab one. Looks more useful than the cheaper ones, but the cheaper
ones work just fine, too.

The nice thing is that it seems totally temp adjust
But as it is 1200 it is low..

Why do you say that? It can reach 900F. If you need more heat, use a
fookin' BLOWTORCH. I have one of these for weeds, not paint/wood.
http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ter-91037.html

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:08:31 -0800, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
web.com...

"tiredofspam" wrote:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

Opinions...

---------------
It's only 1,200 watts.

I'd pass.

And it doesn't have feet ...

What, you guys don't own metal coathangers?
Make a stand. Take ya 3 minutes, tops.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 24, 8:39*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
Has anyone tried the variable temp lee valley heat gun?http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

Opinions...

Other than the color, it appears to be identical to the HFT model -
with the exception of the rotating damper (which restricts the
incoming air - I suspect) that offers more consistency/control than
blocking the ports with the palm of one's hand to increase the heat
output.

I'm on my second HFT cheapie and I don't use them that often. First
one lasted about five years of infrequent use and lots of laying about
in a wooden box I made to hold it.

HFT sent out a 25% off any item coupon (good in stores or online)
yeasterday so maybe you could get one from them for six dollars
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 00:16:20 -0500, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com

[topposting corrected]

wrote:

Has anyone tried the variable temp lee valley heat gun?
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

Opinions...

Grab one. Looks more useful than the cheaper ones, but the cheaper
ones work just fine, too.

The nice thing is that it seems totally temp adjust
But as it is 1200 it is low..

Why do you say that? It can reach 900F. If you need more heat, use a
fookin' BLOWTORCH. I have one of these for weeds, not paint/wood.
http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ter-91037.html

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim

Propane torch with the right attachment is fine for paint.

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ers-91899.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com writes:

Has anyone tried the variable temp lee valley heat gun?
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,44047&ap=1

Opinions...

I have been very happy with the "digital" multi-temperature heat gun
from Harbor freight - I especially appreciate the auto-cool down
feature.

It lists for $39.99 but I paid about $25
http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...ngs-97114.html