DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   MDF finishing advice (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/312812-re-mdf-finishing-advice.html)

J. Clarke[_2_] November 3rd 10 09:22 AM

MDF finishing advice

In article ,
says...

I have tried many things to plug up the raw surface of routed or
worked MDF panels. The material is easy to work other than the
dust. It is the finishing that drives me nuts,

I have used:
drywall compound
acrylic wood filler
shellac
water based urethane
oil based urethane
latex paint
multiple coats of primer
55 coats of spray paint

I have yet to find a material or method that I consider fool
proof, easy, quick - I can't even say to pick any two.

Advice on method, material, and application would be appreciated.

The accepted method is to use what's called a "glue size" or "glue
sizing", you can buy it pre-mixed from the Titebond folks or just dilute
any white or yellow glue 10:1 or so. You will probably have to sand
after.

M.L. Campbell "Magnaclaw" primer is intended specifically for use on
MDF--one good wet coat gives a good seal. Note that it's a precatalyzed
lacquer base and take appropriate precautions (i.e. remember that it
will burn merrily and has toxic solvents).

I haven't tried it but gray automotive primer should work.