Posted to rec.woodworking

Default MDF finishing advice

On Oct 27, 12:05*am, "DanG" wrote:
I have tried many things to plug up the raw surface of routed or
worked MDF panels. *The material is easy to work other than the
dust. *It is the finishing that drives me nuts,

I have used:
drywall compound
acrylic wood filler
shellac
water based urethane
oil based urethane
latex paint
multiple coats of primer
55 coats of spray paint

I have yet to find a material or method that I consider fool
proof, easy, quick - I can't even say to pick any two.

Advice on method, material, *and application would be appreciated.

Hey Dan. Since you mention drywall compound straight off, I would
guess you've seen the FWW article.
http://www.finewoodworking.com/Skill....aspx?id=26508

JLC
http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=25428

You didn't mention glue, so...
http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/06/03/painting-mdf/

Sand, sand, sand.
http://shoryuken.com/f177/how-paint-...orklog-191692/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 22:43:22 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Oct 27, 12:05*am, "DanG" wrote:
I have tried many things to plug up the raw surface of routed or
worked MDF panels. *The material is easy to work other than the
dust. *It is the finishing that drives me nuts,

I have used:
drywall compound

I've used drywall compound and found it easy and quick. I *think* it
should be fool proof. I just spread it on with my finger and sand the
excess it off after it dries.

What didn't you like about it?