Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking for a "deeper" wood vice

This is the wood vice I have now. It works great except that sometimes I
need to hold a part in it that requires the "jaws" to be taller.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood-Vise-6-/G8966

What happens is that the part hits the guide rods and screw mechanism at the
bottom of the jaws and I can't properly hold the part.

Does anyone know where I can get a wood vice with "taller" jaws?

Otherwise, I may just make my own...

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

This is the wood vice I have now. It works great except that sometimes I
need to hold a part in it that requires the "jaws" to be taller.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood-Vise-6-/G8966

What happens is that the part hits the guide rods and screw mechanism at the
bottom of the jaws and I can't properly hold the part.

Does anyone know where I can get a wood vice with "taller" jaws?

Otherwise, I may just make my own...

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Take a look at the Emmert clone that Woodcraft offers
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...attern-Makers-
Vise.aspx. The jaws are about 2 inches deep in the "normal" position,
about 3-1/2 "upside down", and more than 8 inches sideways.

There are some tricks to using it and it's a bit fiddly to keep adjusted
but I consider it money well spent.

For about the same money you can get the Lee Valley twin-screw mechanism
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=45114&cat=1,41659 that
gives you jaws any size you want to make them and screws up to 2 feet
apart.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
This is the wood vice I have now. It works great except that sometimes I
need to hold a part in it that requires the "jaws" to be taller.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood-Vise-6-/G8966

What happens is that the part hits the guide rods and screw mechanism at the
bottom of the jaws and I can't properly hold the part.

Does anyone know where I can get a wood vice with "taller" jaws?

Otherwise, I may just make my own...

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Add facing to the inside of the jaws of the height needed?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Why not make or have made steel plates that bolt onto the jaws that
extend the height up to or past the wanted zone.

Most of those vises have holes for wood plates for that purpose.

Any machine shop can make 3/8 or 1/2" plates that hang over the rods
and hang under - and extend upwards as you wish. Holes matching the
jaws, or if not, countersunk holes on the plates and matching holes and
bolts on the jaws.

Martin