Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tapered Display Tower, from Colorado beetle-kill pine

Technically, it’s just about’ finished.

The 1/4” baltic birch ply that I used as backer did NOT take the stain
well, so I’ll either re-do it, or replace it with a pine backer,
either T&G or half-lap.

Meanwhile, I’m calling it done enough for pics :-)

THE STORY:

There’s a pine beetle that’s laying waste to many of our forests, in
the Rockies, creating a huge fire hazard of dead fall.

A few miles from me, I found a lumber yard that deals mostly in this
beetle-kill pine. A few months back, I bought some boards.

WOOD Magazine had this piece in a recent issue. It caught my eye. So …
from rough stock to this bad boy.

THE FINISH:

- a 2:1 mix of denatured alcohol and SealCoat
- a flood coat of Watco Danish Oil, “Light Walnut” color
- Man o’ War satin spar varnish—two coats so far—only on the shelves
and the exterior of the side panels.
- P600 wet/dry sanded
- Couple a' coats of Bison paste wax

THE JOINERY:

The drawer box is dadoes and rabbets.
The top is fastened on with Figure 8 fasteners, in a countersunk 1/8”
deep x 1-3/4” Forstner bit-created well.
The shelves are in with #20 biscuits.

NOTES:

The upper panel is a “hidden” drawer. It’s a good tight fit, and with
no handle, so there’s a 1-1/4” hole in the backer board through which
you shove the drawer forward. The drawer is bb ply with the pine false
front.

The false tenons and wedges … finally … were made from the same pine.
The wedges had enough of a distinctive look about them that I thought
they stood out, appropriately, from the rest.

The top has a chamfer around its bottom edge. All the angled cuts are
done at 3*.

And … for pine … the sucker IS rather heavy !

I think the wood has a lot of character. I think there’s the face of
an old man in one of the sides ;-)

My next project (for which I already bought the boards) is a QSWO Wine
Tower, for a friend. It’s based ON the basic look of this tower, but …
is an original, and will stand just over 3’ high. Looking forward to
working with the oak. It’s just beautiful wood.

Thanks for looking :-)

http://picasaweb.google.com/neil0502...eat=directlink
Posted to rec.woodworking

The Tower Display is a copy of a Roycroft piece:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200106A02.html

I like it, too. While watching this episode, I snapped a pic to make
one.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 18, 8:29*am, Sonny wrote:
The Tower Display is a copy of a Roycroft piece:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200106A02.html

I like it, too. *While watching this episode, I snapped a pic to make
one.

Bingo !

The article made quick reference to the Roycroft original.

I'll go out on a limb, though, and guess that mine won't fetch
$15-20,000 ... unless and until it's been around for a couple
centuries ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 07:29:59 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

The Tower Display is a copy of a Roycroft piece:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200106A02.html

I like it, too. While watching this episode, I snapped a pic to make
one.

That's classic, Sonny. Stained and polyed pineywood bookstand worth
"$15,000-$20,000". Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha!

Who's the judge, Ida Knowanybetter?

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

The Tower Display is a copy of a Roycroft piece:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200106A02.html

I like it, too. *While watching this episode, I snapped a pic to make
one.

That's classic, Sonny. *Stained and polyed pineywood bookstand worth
"$15,000-$20,000". * Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha!

Who's the judge, Ida Knowanybetter?

I think something got lost in translation!

Neil's work, his link, is very good and I like it. I also like the
original Roycroft, noted in my link, which is why I took pics of it
while I was viewing the episode on PBS's Antiques Road Show. The
original Roycroft book stand was appraised at $15K - $20K by the
link's noted appraiser.

Sonny

drywall repair - tapered vs non-tapered james Home Repair 8 October 10th 07 05:33 AM
Going to Colorado ebd Woodturning 0 September 12th 07 02:36 PM
KILL ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE KILL EM ALL [email protected] Woodworking 1 July 10th 07 02:03 AM
SINO DRILLS--striking bar, extension rod, button bit, cross bit, chisel bit, DTH hammer and bit, integral drill rod, tapered rod, thread bit, tapered bit, shank adapter, ODS( ODEX, TUBEX), mine lamp [email protected] Home Ownership 0 October 10th 06 08:19 AM
SINO DRILLS--striking bar, extension rod, button bit, cross bit, chisel bit, DTH hammer and bit, integral drill rod, tapered rod, thread bit, tapered bit, shank adapter, ODS( ODEX, TUBEX), mine lamp [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 29th 06 02:56 AM