Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stab saw with Japanese style teeth?

I'm looking for a saw similar to a drywall saw - cuts on the push
stroke and is stiff and pointy - but has nice sharp teeth and a
somewhat thinner kerf say than your typical 4-6 tpi drywall saw.

Thank you very much. Oh yeah - does anyone know what this thing
"gewgull" is that everyones' talking about?
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/11/2010 6:52 PM, Mark Whittingham wrote:
I'm looking for a saw similar to a drywall saw - cuts on the push
stroke and is stiff and pointy - but has nice sharp teeth and a
somewhat thinner kerf say than your typical 4-6 tpi drywall saw.

Thank you very much. Oh yeah - does anyone know what this thing
"gewgull" is that everyones' talking about?
JP

Like this?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...884,50321&ap=1

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/11/2010 6:59 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 10/11/2010 6:52 PM, Mark Whittingham wrote:
I'm looking for a saw similar to a drywall saw - cuts on the push
stroke and is stiff and pointy - but has nice sharp teeth and a
somewhat thinner kerf say than your typical 4-6 tpi drywall saw.

Thank you very much. Oh yeah - does anyone know what this thing
"gewgull" is that everyones' talking about?
JP

Like this?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...884,50321&ap=1

Woops, sorry; that one cuts on the pull stroke.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 11, 7:52*pm, Mark Whittingham wrote:
I'm looking for a saw similar to a drywall saw - cuts on the push
stroke and is stiff and pointy - but has nice sharp teeth and a
somewhat thinner kerf say than your typical 4-6 tpi drywall saw.

Ain't gonna happen. Japanese saws cut on the pull, which allows the
blade to be much thinner. You need a thicker blade to cut on the
push. Pick stiff or thin.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark Whittingham" wrote in message
I'm looking for a saw similar to a drywall saw - cuts on the push
stroke and is stiff and pointy - but has nice sharp teeth and a
somewhat thinner kerf say than your typical 4-6 tpi drywall saw.

We would call that a Pad Saw but you are right it is hard to find good
replacement blades for them. I have once or twice put a jigsaw blade in the
Pad Saw handle when I needed a sharp or finer cut.

Tim W

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 20:49:53 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Oct 11, 7:52*pm, Mark Whittingham wrote:
I'm looking for a saw similar to a drywall saw - cuts on the push
stroke and is stiff and pointy - but has nice sharp teeth and a
somewhat thinner kerf say than your typical 4-6 tpi drywall saw.

Ain't gonna happen. Japanese saws cut on the pull, which allows the
blade to be much thinner. You need a thicker blade to cut on the
push. Pick stiff or thin.

Right. Let him try making a point on a hacksaw blade and using one of
the holder handles. Then he can see how nice pull saws can be by
simply reversing the blade. http://fwd4.me/TUP one style.

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Whittingham wrote the following:
I'm looking for a saw similar to a drywall saw - cuts on the push
stroke and is stiff and pointy - but has nice sharp teeth and a
somewhat thinner kerf say than your typical 4-6 tpi drywall saw.

You can hammer the drywall saw's off-set teeth so they aint off-set no
more.:-)
Perhaps if you say what you intend to do with it you might find an
alternative tool.

Thank you very much. Oh yeah - does anyone know what this thing
"gewgull" is that everyones' talking about?
JP

Did you google it?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have one like that - older naturally - but the blade bunches up
when you push it. Light strokes on push or stronger ones on the pull.

With it you flip over - end to end the blade.
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/