Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Craftsman Thickness Planer Blades

You'd think you could get these double-sided blades sharpened.
It looks like it would be a pretty straightforward job. Has
anyone tried it?

Thanks,

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

sam wrote:
You'd think you could get these double-sided blades sharpened.
It looks like it would be a pretty straightforward job. Has
anyone tried it?

Of course you can hone them; whether you can sharpen them if have any
knick of any size at all is iffy--they are simply too narrow to have
much material at all removed.

Nothing lost in trying of course...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would look for a local sharpener. We have one or two here, and they
will look at your blades and let you know on the spot whether or not
they can help you and how much they charge.

Since the local guys here have all the jigs, set ups, and wheels, I
think you wind up with a much more satisfactory job (it is much more
accurate!) when you put your blades in the hands of a professional.

If it is some of those cheap, thin blades that are considered
disposable, grind the blades into marking knives and buy new planer
blades.

YMMV.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

sam wrote:
You'd think you could get these double-sided blades sharpened.
It looks like it would be a pretty straightforward job. Has
anyone tried it?

Best bet is to take them to a blade-sharpening service. These companies
sharpen metal shears and blades for giant paper cutters.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
I would look for a local sharpener. We have one or two here, and they
will look at your blades and let you know on the spot whether or not
they can help you and how much they charge.

Since the local guys here have all the jigs, set ups, and wheels, I
think you wind up with a much more satisfactory job (it is much more
accurate!) when you put your blades in the hands of a professional.

If it is some of those cheap, thin blades that are considered
disposable, grind the blades into marking knives and buy new planer
blades.

That was an editorial "you"

Indeed planer and longer jointer knives are fairly difficult to deal
with accurately to get a truly straight edge w/o either a lot of hassle
in jig-making, etc., or one of the very expensive attachments.

I'm fortunate in that found a sharpener attachment for the old Delta at
an auction that nobody apparently recognized what it was for and so was
able to snarf it for $5 years ago...

I was assuming OP in all likelihood has one of the current generation
lunchbox portables and I think there's very likely not enough excess
material for a real sharpening. I can't speak for other than guessing
though; I've never had anything smaller than the old Model 13 and
currently have it and the (even older) PM 180. All it took was
drilling/tapping a set of holes in the outfeed table on the PM and the
sharpener works just as well there as it does for the 13 and the
jointer. The real cat's meow w/ it is don't ever take the knives out;
after a couple times may have to raise them a little but if don't have a
sizable knick a fresh edge isn't removing enough material but what it
will take quite a number of touch ups before even needing that...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I would look for a local sharpener. We have one or two here, and they
will look at your blades and let you know on the spot whether or not
they can help you and how much they charge.

Since the local guys here have all the jigs, set ups, and wheels, I
think you wind up with a much more satisfactory job (it is much more
accurate!) when you put your blades in the hands of a professional.

If it is some of those cheap, thin blades that are considered
disposable, grind the blades into marking knives and buy new planer
blades.

YMMV.

Robert

Gotta agree there, a shaprening service doing both sides of all the blades
is likely to cost about as much as buying new.