Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dovetail orientation

On Oct 5, 11:15*pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
I have a small shop with limited make-up space. *So I build small
projects like keepsake boxes, miniature chest's of drawer, and the
like.

I sometimes use dovetails in the cases. *I'm wondering if there is a
"classical" or other convention for the dovetail orientation, i.e.:
pins facing up/side; tails facing up/side.

Any comments appreciated.

The tail acts as a wedge and won't allow the adjoining piece to slide
out. That's why the boards with the tails are on the sides of the
drawers - the tails keep the joint from being pulled apart when the
drawer is opened. If it's a box or something where the load/stress is
pretty uniform, it's a matter of taste. I usually prefer to see more
tail and less pin, but I reserve the right to arbitrarily change my
mind.