Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sacrificial jaws for a 12" vise?

I'm finally getting around to pulling my 12" Record vise out of storage and
installing it on a workbench. I have a question about suitable jaw liners
for the thing. Any suggestions on the best wood for this? Maple, something a
little softer? I'd even consider using magnetic jaws with rubber liners
except that the biggest I've seen are 6" wide, way too small for this 12"
vise.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would go with a smaller vise. You can send the 12" record to me.

8)

Maple is fine... Beech. You can line the moveable maple face with a
piece of leather.

On 9/16/2010 9:13 PM, Upscale wrote:
I'm finally getting around to pulling my 12" Record vise out of storage and
installing it on a workbench. I have a question about suitable jaw liners
for the thing. Any suggestions on the best wood for this? Maple, something a
little softer? I'd even consider using magnetic jaws with rubber liners
except that the biggest I've seen are 6" wide, way too small for this 12"
vise.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Like on my 8" wide monster metal vice - one jaw is Al, the other hard steel.

I talked to Dad about that - remember him making the Al on the lathe (no mill)
and now I can mill steel - he mentioned a soft jaw can save something under
compression. Hard materials will imprint while soft stuff will get marred.
So for softer stuff - use soft stuff and harder stuff - harder.

I have rubber inserts and Al inserts in my Gun vice. I use rubber mostly.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 9/16/2010 8:13 PM, Upscale wrote:
I'm finally getting around to pulling my 12" Record vise out of storage and
installing it on a workbench. I have a question about suitable jaw liners
for the thing. Any suggestions on the best wood for this? Maple, something a
little softer? I'd even consider using magnetic jaws with rubber liners
except that the biggest I've seen are 6" wide, way too small for this 12"
vise.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/16/2010 9:37 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I would go with a smaller vise. You can send the 12" record to me.

8)

Maple is fine... Beech. You can line the moveable maple face with a
piece of leather.

On 9/16/2010 9:13 PM, Upscale wrote:
I'm finally getting around to pulling my 12" Record vise out of
storage and
installing it on a workbench. I have a question about suitable jaw liners
for the thing. Any suggestions on the best wood for this? Maple,
something a
little softer? I'd even consider using magnetic jaws with rubber liners
except that the biggest I've seen are 6" wide, way too small for this 12"
vise.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Just a thought but you can get 8-1/2 x 11 magnetic inkjet sheets at
Staples, intended to make refrigerator magnets, at 15 bucks for a
package of four. They're a little resilient with a paper facing--you
should be able to glue a piece of rubber or whatever to them, they may
even be OK as is--they're a little bit resilient but not very thick.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Just a thought but you can get 8-1/2 x 11 magnetic inkjet sheets at
Staples, intended to make refrigerator magnets, at 15 bucks for a package
of four. They're a little resilient with a paper facing--you should be
able to glue a piece of rubber or whatever to them, they may even be OK as
is--they're a little bit resilient but not very thic

I was thinking of adapting a pair of magnetic tool bars. The next time I'm
in Lee Valley, I'll check them out.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,42363,42356

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
I'm finally getting around to pulling my 12" Record vise out of storage
and installing it on a workbench. I have a question about suitable jaw
liners for the thing. Any suggestions on the best wood for this? Maple,
something a little softer? I'd even consider using magnetic jaws with
rubber liners except that the biggest I've seen are 6" wide, way too small
for this 12" vise.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I guess it depends on what you are going to use it for. I used to have a
simple square 6" bench vise that I used for everything (before I broke it).
I used to cut a dozen or so jaws out of plywood at a time and leave them
stacked on the shelf above the bench. Whenever I needed to put something in
the vise I didn't want marred by the steels jaws I would drop a pair of
these in. They were great for things like aluminum motorcycle forks, etc.
I would cut them to be an exact match for the jaws at one end and loosely
fit over the center extension of the vise at the other. Worked great for
me. I would just throw them away as they got tore up, and I could get
amazing holding force out of them by crushing them around a work piece if
needed.

Now I have an aluminum vise, and I have prismatic plastic jaws for odd
shaped pieces at the other end of the work bench from my new(er) steel vise.

______
|_____|
| | | |
| | | |

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote the following:
[...]

$14.00 for a pack of 5.
http://www.staples.com/Avery-Persona.../product_46771

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 21:37:01 -0400, tiredofspam wrote:

Maple is fine... Beech. You can line the moveable maple face with a
piece of leather.

I've used some of the nonskid stuff they sell for shelf liners with good
results - the solid stuff, not the fancy open grid type.

Vise jaws, soft vs. hard Ignoramus5688 Metalworking 17 February 13th 10 07:18 AM
Soft vise jaws -- aluminum vs. brass Ignoramus18547 Metalworking 16 May 11th 08 11:03 AM
Vise jaws Jay Pique Woodworking 4 October 5th 07 12:44 AM
Check vise and/or jaws? Bill Schwab Metalworking 2 February 6th 06 05:57 AM
soft mill vise jaws; Richard Hanley Metalworking 0 January 29th 05 10:06 PM