Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ridgid TS3650/3660 loose belt tip

Started up the saw today and there was a distinct sound of belt
squealing. I checked for something obstructing the blade, found some
narrow cutoffs down inside that I pulled out, started it up, still squeal.

Checked the belt--it was horribly loose. It's tensioned by the weight
of the motor and a small spring, and the motor was at the limit of its
travel, so my first reaction was "holy crap, I need a new belt". Looked
closer and found a couple of rods held in place by set screws that
rough-positioned the motor. Pulled on the motor and it slid right
out--the set screws weren't tight. Slid it until the motor was at about
the center of its travel and tightened the set screws and fired it up,
and not only was there no squeal, but it spun up a lot faster and cut a
bit cleaner--I guess I missed a step in the setup when I originally put
it together.

I figured I ought to mention it just in case somebody else with one
missed the same step.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 19, 11:43*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
[...]

On some old (really old) table saws the belts are so long that
vibration is a problem. On mine, I replaced a set of bearings because
it sounded so bad on shut down. Solved the problem with a Power Twist
belt that calmed everything down. Should have saved the used bearings
since they weren't all that old. Oh well...

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

When we learn our tools well enough, we can tell when someting isn't
quite right, just by a small unusual sound emanating from it, somewhat
similarly as knowing a saw blade is getting dull, because it makes
more noise than previously.... more noise than a sharp one.

Yep, always check out the source of an unusual sound, no matter how
slight. Though I don't recall a personal incident, this practice
probably applies to unusual/unfamiliar vibrations, also.

And, if I may add, when using a (box, other) fan, to cool yourself as
you work: first, check the breeze direction so that your shirt tail
doesn't blow/flap near the jointer blades/head, as recently happened
to me (no accident, however), before engaging in the work... or blow/
flap near your saw blades, etc.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

[...]

Have you noticed how the belt tightens and loosens as you raise and lower
the blade? I've got mine set to a balance between squealing when the
blade is low to being able to raise the blade the whole way.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/20/2010 1:47 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
"J. wrote in
:

[...]

Did not notice that--need to check it out. Thank you.