Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stencil Advice?

On Aug 16, 9:30*am, wrote:
Hey Guys:

I’m finishing up a gift for my young niece: a (bathroom) stepstool. I
wanted to decorate it with some stenciled on images. I was wondering
if any one has any advice about materials and methods.

So far :
1. I have constructed it out of maple.
2. Dyed it with brightly colored aniline dyes (green and blue).
3. Then applied 3 thin coats of General Finishes Satin Gel Topcoat
(polyurethane).

I wanted to use stencils to paint on some starfish, seaweed and
seashells using the following:

(1. I have already designed the stencil on the computer.)
2. Print the stencil images to adhesive backed stencil material.
3. Use spray paint (not brush) to apply the images.
4. Over coat the entire stool with more poly or spraycan satin
lacquer.

Questions:

1. Source for the computer printable adhesive backed stencil material?
What about using printable transparency film and applying some of my
own spray adhesive? I'm thinking without the adhesive I'll get
bleeding, especially with spray paint?

2. Might the adhesive lift the poly that is there already or leave a
residue that will interfere with the subsequent topcoats?

3. What kind of paint? Krylon Satin? I wanted matte or satin. The
craft store has brush on acrylic. I really wanted to spray rather than
brush. Is the acrylic durable enough?

4. What about satin lacquer from a spraycan as a final topcoat vs just
more satin polyurethane? I was thinking I’d get better coverage with
spray. Is the lacquer as scratch resistant and durable as the poly?

Photosilkscreen is the ultimate method, transfers fine detail well.
Most art stores carry prefab screens and Speedball diazo emulsion.
Develop with a cheap 500 watt halogen work light. Apply
the ink any way you like. You can use a stencil brush
as well as a squeegee.

Stencil for swimming pool? Jim Home Repair 4 January 16th 10 04:05 PM
A better design....Past stencil work jloomis Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 August 9th 09 12:32 PM
Stencil??? BD[_2_] Woodworking 2 May 4th 08 07:05 PM
Best stencil material Karl Townsend Metalworking 7 December 11th 07 11:38 PM
Reusable PCB Film for Stencil? Okidokee Electronics Repair 0 October 3rd 04 11:43 PM