Default Quetion about TS guard

Only time the splitter/guard are removed is for non-through cuts,
period. Not considered wimpy in this environ. Hardware, not me.

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:32:14 -0600, "Luis"
wrote:

Hi
Maybe this is a stupid question but I am new in the use of TS , having use a
RAS for years but recently got a Jet TS , I like it , works great, but the
guard that is over the saw sometimes has to be removed to use some
accesories and isn't easy to put it back and adjust it so the question is:
Do you use to remove and and take it back to its place after or leave the TS
without it always ??
Thanks in advance

Luis

Edwin Pawlowski

"Luis" wrote in message
Hi
Maybe this is a stupid question but I am new in the use of TS , having use

RAS for years but recently got a Jet TS , I like it , works great, but the
guard that is over the saw sometimes has to be removed to use some
accesories and isn't easy to put it back and adjust it so the question is:
Do you use to remove and and take it back to its place after or leave the

TS
without it always ??
Thanks in advance

Luis

More important that he guard is a splitter. Cutting wood without one can
result in a kickback if the wood tries to close after the blade.

You will get people that say then never use the guard, others that won't run
the saw without it. I fall in between. Cutting sheet goods I don't worry
about kickback as much as with solid wood. I take it off when cutting
dadoes etc that cannot be done with the guard in place. I don't rush to put
it back on, but if I think it will stay for a while, it gets put in place.
Only take a couple of minutes, at least on my saw.

Twice I've had something hit the guard. Operator error, but it still
stopped a chunk from flying. That's what counts.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Dave Balderstone

In article , Luis
wrote:

Maybe this is a stupid question but I am new in the use of TS , having use a
RAS for years but recently got a Jet TS , I like it , works great, but the
guard that is over the saw sometimes has to be removed to use some
accesories and isn't easy to put it back and adjust it so the question is:
Do you use to remove and and take it back to its place after or leave the TS
without it always ??

In general, the guard is off my saw. There are some cases where I put
it back on, especially when I'm ripping narrow pieces.

djb

--
Was that last sig line lame or what?
Bob Davis

"Luis" wrote in message

Do you use to remove and and take it back to its place after or leave the

TS
without it always ??

Its not a stupid question, Luis. The factory guard on the table saw is a
pain the butt and causes more people to remove and abandon it. My
brother-in-law, who has used tablesaws for 40 years just had a horrible
accident - Delta Unisaw, no guard. After using a saw for a long time, you
can become to comfortable with it. What did he do? Something really,
really stupid. His mind was on a trip he was getting ready to make. As he
was operating the saw, he laid his left hand on top of the blade. Is he
stupid, demented, retarded or mentally ill? No. He just wasn't paying
attention.

There are hundreds of commercial and shopbuilt safety solutions for the
tablesaw. These take the place of the factory guard and provide higher
convenience and ease of use. I've invested many hours of time and $$$ to
improve my own situation. Hopefully you'll be as lucky as me and not kill
yourself before you arrive at your own solutions. I bought a book on table
saws which helped a lot.

Bob

jo4hn

Luis wrote:

Hi

Do you use to remove and and take it back to its place after or leave the TS
without it always ??
Thanks in advance

Luis

I am a believer in guards and splitters. Replaced the PITA guard that
came with the PM66 with an overhead Biesemeyer that also has a dust
pickup attached. Much easier to use and I am less likely to remove it.
For dadoes and sleds, the splitter comes out and the cover remains on.
For such operations as a tenon jig, both are removed. I worked in a
mill when I was in school and knew too many cowboys with eight or less
fingers. I am also a believer in hold downs, feather boards, and the
like.
mahalo,
jo4hn (whose twelve talented finger dance across the keyboard)

KB8QLR

What Ed said.

--
Be sure to check-out our webpages...
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Luis" wrote in message
[...]

Herman Family

Hmmm,

Lets do the economics.

Replace the splitter and guard 0.25 hrs @ $200/hr (ok, so you pay very
well) = $25

Reattach 4 fingers @ $15,000/finger = $60,000, plus physical therapy,
plus 2 - 3 years of poor motion. No reduction for failure to attach.

Your choice.

Michael

wrote:

Hi
Maybe this is a stupid question but I am new in the use of TS , having

use a
RAS for years but recently got a Jet TS , I like it , works great, but

the
guard that is over the saw sometimes has to be removed to use some
accesories and isn't easy to put it back and adjust it so the question

is:
Do you use to remove and and take it back to its place after or leave the

TS
without it always ??
Thanks in advance

Luis

CW

There are more (probably the majority) people out there that are in the same
situation. Never use the guard. Many will tell you that at times. At other
times, they won't. It just depends on the mood of the group. It's called
me-too-ism and is rampant around here.

"Luis" wrote in message
Hi
Maybe this is a stupid question but I am new in the use of TS , having

use
RAS for years but recently got a Jet TS , I like it , works great, but

the
guard that is over the saw sometimes has to be removed to use some
accesories and isn't easy to put it back and adjust it so the question

is:
Do you use to remove and and take it back to its place after or leave

the
TS
without it always ??
Thanks in advance

Luis

Daniel

Take a look at
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00066.asp
and you will want to put one on whenver you can.

(Or maybe you are good at dodging?)