Bigredoscar

Default Sandeply at HD

Home Depot sells a plywood they call Sandeply (I think). I have used it for
jigs and interior projects because it is cheaper than birch and nicer than
regular ply. My son's Scout troop is looking to make some new chuck boxes (they
are used to hold food and cooking utensils while camping). My question isthis,
does anyone know anything about the glue that is used in this plywood? The
boxes will be finished inside and out and are not intended to sit out in the
rain, although I'm sure they will get wet at some point. Will the glue hold up
to this type of use? Would hate to build them and have the ply start to
delaminate on us. Thanks for any input.

Oswin
Charlie Self

Big Red Oscar asks:

Home Depot sells a plywood they call Sandeply (I think). I have used it for
jigs and interior projects because it is cheaper than birch and nicer than
regular ply. My son's Scout troop is looking to make some new chuck boxes
(they
are used to hold food and cooking utensils while camping). My question
isthis,
does anyone know anything about the glue that is used in this plywood? The
boxes will be finished inside and out and are not intended to sit out in the
rain, although I'm sure they will get wet at some point. Will the glue hold
up
to this type of use? Would hate to build them and have the ply start to
delaminate on us. Thanks for any input.

Check he http://www.sandeply.com/

Charlie Self
"If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our
institutions, great is our sin." Charles Darwin

Dave W

I have had a piece of cdx 1/2 inch plywood in the back of my truck as a
"liner" for four years and it is dented, black with weathering but it is
still solid. It has had firewood thrown on it, carried fieldstones, and
been exposed to all sorts of other indignities. No primer, no paint! The
way to test plywood for waterproof glue is to boil a piece in water for a
few minutes!
Dave
"Victor Radin" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
says...
[...]

My troop has 4 boxes made of the cheapest possible 1/2" plywood. These
have held up since they were made sometime in the mid 60's. There has
been a little warpage of the doors, some really ugly paint jobs, and
missing interior items, but no de-lamination of the plywood.

Other than the weight of these things, I often wonder if it's only the
paint holding it together.

Keys to long-lasting construction: good overcoats of primer, paint,
varnish.

Good luck,
vic