Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Replace cutter-head on JWP-16os

Although there may be those that don't consider a Jet JWP-16os to be
worthy of upgrading to a helical cutter-head, I really wanted a moving-
head planer so I could setup fixed infeed and outfeed tables to better
handle long boards by myself. It works very well for me.

That said, I've wished it had a helical head since I got it, and just
when it's due for a knifing; SWMBO says I can have a Byrd Shelix my
birthday present. Woo Hoo !!!

Byrd will mount a new bearing on the pulley-end and supply a new
bearing for the transmission-end. I've never torn one apart before
and replacing the cutter head is not covered in the owners manual.

Will I need anything special, like maybe having to press the bearing
on, for the transmission-end ?

Thanks in advance for any shared experiences.