Tom Watson

Default Neanderthalia

Since the new (desk) job has been going well for the last three
months, and the knees are still as bad as they ever were - I don't
figger on ever going back into the shop again as a pro.

I've got a bunch of furniture projects to do for my own place and I've
decided to go after them with Galootish techniques, rather than
Normite.

I'm keeping the Unisaw and the thickness planer, as I don't feature
doing basic stock prep with a handsaw and a plane - but the other
stuff is pretty much going down the road.

That means the TURT (Delta Cabinet Shop Shaper and its appurtenances)
will be gone. The Delta 14" bandsaw goes (might have to bid on LJ's
bow saw). The jointer goes. The extra SCMS will be sold, along with
the mortiser, spindle borer, Grizz Dust Collector, half the routers,
the Portaplane, the Paslode guns, all of the spray equipment, etc.,
etc., etc.

There's going to be quite a list and I'll post the stuff here on the
Wreck before I Ebay the rest.

I had fun being a cabinetmaker and I had fun being a carpenter before
that. I'm looking forward to having even more fun in practicing my
"quiet tool" techniques during the coming years - and putting the
"rec" back into my rec.norm.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)
Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Website: http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Bill Rittner

I too am looking forward to retiring from the coil winding business. Last
several years I have been dealing in old tools. This is what I will do for a
retirement business. Funny, the more I deal them the more I lean towards
using them and disposing of the noisy machines.

Please keep us posted on your moves in this direction.

Enjoy that desk job!

--
Bill Rittner
R & B ENTERPRISES

"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody
gets out alive" (Unknown)

Remove "no" to reply
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
news
[...]

Tom Watson

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:54:27 -0700, Kim Whitmyre
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Portaplane

I've been hanging a lot of doors lately, using the el cheapo PC electric
plane: I've gotten pretty good with it as a matter of fact. But let me
know the price you have in mind for that portaplane. . . ;~)

That helical cutter works like a champ. I'll be pricing this stuff up
over the next week or so. If you want to make an offer prior to that,
that's fine too.

I'd rather see the good stuff go to the Wreckers.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)
Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Website: http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
David F. Eisan

Dear Tom,

What exactly is it that you are doing now?

David.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 16:52:17 -0400, Tom Watson
brought forth from the murky depths:

Since the new (desk) job has been going well for the last three
months, and the knees are still as bad as they ever were - I don't
figger on ever going back into the shop again as a pro.

Too bad about the knees. Mine's back to about 90% (and that
was just one too many bumps on the ligamentum patella) but I'm
not going to be jumping off cliff or playing bassetball any
more. (Wait, did I ever play bassetball?)

I've got a bunch of furniture projects to do for my own place and I've
decided to go after them with Galootish techniques, rather than
Normite.

Cool. I'm about half and half now...when I get out there.
A new guitar stand started taking shape today, and I'm torn
betwixt filing a scraper blade for the beading on the old
mantle or breaking out the trusty old routah for the job.

I'm keeping the Unisaw and the thickness planer, as I don't feature
doing basic stock prep with a handsaw and a plane - but the other
stuff is pretty much going down the road.

Wow, you're seriously giving up Normitism, aren't you?

That means the TURT (Delta Cabinet Shop Shaper and its appurtenances)
will be gone. The Delta 14" bandsaw goes (might have to bid on LJ's
bow saw).

Oy, vay. That's twice today someone mentioned "that old thing".
heh heh heh Glad to be of service to your senses of humor.

The jointer goes. The extra SCMS will be sold, along with
the mortiser, spindle borer, Grizz Dust Collector, half the routers,
the Portaplane, the Paslode guns, all of the spray equipment, etc.,
etc., etc.

There's going to be quite a list and I'll post the stuff here on the
Wreck before I Ebay the rest.

So are you going to overprice the crap out of it like I always
do, or are you considering it paid for and just scrapping it out?
(Bottomfeeders want to know. DAMHIKT)

I had fun being a cabinetmaker and I had fun being a carpenter before
that. I'm looking forward to having even more fun in practicing my
"quiet tool" techniques during the coming years - and putting the
"rec" back into my rec.norm.

Mo powah to yas, Tawm. Happy Easter.

P.S: Have you picked up any/all of Lord Roy's "Woodwright's Shop"
books yet? You can find often them on www.half.com $4 or less.

I'll apologize for offending someone...right
after they apologize for being easily offended.
http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
Tom Watson

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 02:29:38 GMT, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:

Dear Tom,

What exactly is it that you are doing now?

I'm a project manager for a company that makes store fixtures.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)
Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Website: http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Pop Rivet

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
news
Since the new (desk) job has been going well for the last three
months, and the knees are still as bad as they ever were - I don't
figger on ever going back into the shop again as a pro.

decided to go after them with Galootish techniques, rather than
Normite.

Pop Rivet opened one eye, wiggled in the friction-fit that was his life, and
said:

Here's to all you guys making the vertical and horizontal movements into
your work shops, sometimes against your best preferences. Whether you're
now sitting at a desk, gathering together all those honey-do lists and round
tuits, I just wanted to say that such banishment, errr, I mean, retirement
or semi-retirement, however you want to look at it, can be a pretty danged
good thing. I'm "retired", for "health reasons" and have to take my time
with everything, b ut you know what? Life's as good as one makes it, and
I've found that my retirement is a blessing in disguise, long's we can keep
food on the table, oil in the tank, and wood in the shop!
I'm a "galooter" too and much as I'd like all that equipment being
offered, I'll stick to my little shop and keep on enjoying it; got a
lifetime of round tuits in front of me. I can do most any project I want,
in one way or another, and that's OK. It's not like I have to meet someone
else's deadline or marketing schedule anymore at least!

An older electrical engineer who seldom touched metal except in the model
shop:

Pop Rivet

Patrick Olguin

Tom Watson wrote

The Delta 14" bandsaw goes (might have to bid on LJ's
bow saw).

This tool is not known as "The Neanderbuddy," for nothing. You think
they'll let me have it as a carry-on?

O'Deen
Leon

Good luck with the new job Tom, Change is normally always good. I did the
opposite. I started behind the desk so to speak and retired at 40. Now my
woodworking hobby of 21 years has been bringing in for the last 8 years.

Rob Stokes

.....and I'm doing my darndest to figure out how to get OUT of the office and
into a "real" job

Good luck Tom....I'll be watching the "sale" with interest and (I'm sure)
wishing I lived closer.

Rob

--
Please visit our (recently updated) web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com

wrote:

Dear Tom,

What exactly is it that you are doing now?

I'm a project manager for a company that makes store fixtures.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)
Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Website: http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Tom Watson

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 19:53:58 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

snip

P.S: Have you picked up any/all of Lord Roy's "Woodwright's Shop"
books yet? You can find often them on www.half.com $4 or less.

I've got a couple of Roy's books around here somewheres. I tend to
like fancier stuff than what Roy normally (did I just say Roy
NORMally?) does.

I'm more attracted to Mike Dunbar's stuff and the thinkings of Brother
Krenov (although I have grown tired of the repetition of Krenov's
style - and am mostly still attracted to his thinking).

The first book that ever attracted me to working wood was Eric
Sloane's, "A Reverence For Wood". I know that's more towards the
Roydish than the Krenovian - but that book had a tremendous impact on
me.

The other book that was most formative, although it is not strictly a
neanderbubbabible - is Ernest Joyce's, "The Encyclopedia Of
Furnituremaking", which has been so thoroughly pondered and pummeled
as to be worthy of being purchased anew.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:36:28 -0400, Tom Watson
brought forth from the murky depths:

I've got a couple of Roy's books around here somewheres. I tend to
like fancier stuff than what Roy normally (did I just say Roy
NORMally?) does.

groan

I'm more attracted to Mike Dunbar's stuff and the thinkings of Brother
Krenov (although I have grown tired of the repetition of Krenov's
style - and am mostly still attracted to his thinking).

Yes, he thinks well and I can appreciate it.

The first book that ever attracted me to working wood was Eric
Sloane's, "A Reverence For Wood". I know that's more towards the
Roydish than the Krenovian - but that book had a tremendous impact on
me.

I got a copy at the Valley Forge State Park in Pennsyltucky
back in '98 and ended up reading half a dozen more of his books.

---
- Friends don't let friends use FrontPage -
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Programming

Mike Hide

I have been thinking the same as you Tom only I am considering giving up all
my tools . For the last two years I have been training squirrels to do most
of my wood working chores with the exception of using termites to do basic
carving . Those suckers are so dumb I don't think they will ever learn ,not
that the squirrels are that bright either .

Needless to say the squirrels do take a very long time to even learn the
basics they are basically thick as boards .Three have passed on before they
mastered straightlining, in that case I have gone on to a more intelligent
critter namely a red squirrel, in the meantime I have used chipmunks for the
short pieces.

So I wish you all the best in your endeavors, just be careful of all the
loot you make on the sales, don't let the old lady pull you into some
jewelry store and spend it all on some fine twinkler and then six months
later ask you for a box to put it in. Boy is she going to be ****ed when you
tell her it will be ready in a couple of years .....mjh

--
http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On 11 Apr 2004 08:06:41 -0700, (Patrick Olguin)
wrote:

Tom Watson wrote

The Delta 14" bandsaw goes (might have to bid on LJ's
bow saw).

This tool is not known as "The Neanderbuddy," for nothing. You think
they'll let me have it as a carry-on?

Which one?

I figger they'd letya carry on the bandsaur - but the bowsaur looks
too dangerous.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)
Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Website:
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Greg Millen

Lol, great post Mike! I hear the chipmunks are better at crosscutting 'wild'
grain.

As for the squirrels, the red ones are faster - or so they say.

Tell me though, can the squirrel's pass the coin test when chewing?

--
Greg

"Mike Hide" wrote in message ...
I have been thinking the same as you Tom only I am considering giving up

all
my tools . For the last two years I have been training squirrels to do

most
of my wood working chores with the exception of using termites to do basic
carving . Those suckers are so dumb I don't think they will ever learn

,not
that the squirrels are that bright either .

snip 'o funny stuff
So I wish you all the best in your endeavors, just be careful of all the
loot you make on the sales, don't let the old lady pull you into some
jewelry store and spend it all on some fine twinkler and then six months
later ask you for a box to put it in. Boy is she going to be ****ed when

you
tell her it will be ready in a couple of years .....mjh

Charlie Self

Mike Hide writes:

[...]

Wonderful!

Charlie Self
"If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our
institutions, great is our sin." Charles Darwin

Norman D. Crow

"Mike Hide" wrote in message

snippage

Three have passed on before they
mastered straightlining, in that case I have gone on to a more intelligent
critter namely a red squirrel, in the meantime I have used chipmunks for

the
short pieces.

Thanks Mike, I needed that chuckle!

Just one question - - Seems Davey Eisan showed some pictures of what he
thought were *rats* a year or two back. You sure those are chipmunks you're
using, or some of Davey's trained "woodrats"?
--
Nahmie
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving

---

Mike Hide

Well Greg how observant you are ,chipmunks are much better at crosscutting
than most critters .Research over the years indicates the tthe chipmunks
tooth configuration is primarily responsible for the chip free cuts. The
chipmunk has a triple cut tooth arrange ment very similar to the Forrest
best crosscut blade which most people on this group covet so much.

Initially as far a the carving training program I used carpenter bees, with
some success I might add .They, the carpenter bees that is , despite their
threatening behavior [buzzing around close to ones head] turned out to be
relatively easy to train ,a couple of seasons at most and turned out great
carvings particularly the precise internal cuts that are so desirable .
However two problems arose, one, carving with them is purely seasonal
immediately they realized they were not building a nest they quit.Even
modifying the environment to fool them into thinking it was eternally spring
was only partially successful. A far bigger problem is their mobility. Every
time we finished a carved piece and it was delivered I will be dammed if
they didn't commence the next season by finding its location and recarving
the whole dam thing. So basically I gave up using the bees and in the end
used termites ,they might be slower and more slobbery but at least they stay
more or less in the same place ......mjh

--
http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2
s.com...

"Mike Hide" wrote in message ...
[...]

Ken Muldrew

"Mike Hide" wrote:

[snipping generously...]

For the last two years I have been training squirrels to do most
of my wood working chores with the exception of using termites to do basic
carving .

Boy is she going to be ****ed when you
tell her it will be ready in a couple of years .....mjh

You can shave a year off that time by training a beaver to do rough
stock removal. Just don't let them have the keys to the lumber
cabinet.

Ken Muldrew

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)
Mike Hide

Ken thats probably a lost cause as far as Watson is concerned, he probably
has never heard of that kind of beaver !!!mjh

--
http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2
"Ken Muldrew" wrote in message
"Mike Hide" wrote:

[snipping generously...]

For the last two years I have been training squirrels to do most
of my wood working chores with the exception of using termites to do

basic
carving .

Boy is she going to be ****ed when you
tell her it will be ready in a couple of years .....mjh

You can shave a year off that time by training a beaver to do rough
stock removal. Just don't let them have the keys to the lumber
cabinet.

Ken Muldrew

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)

Dave Balderstone

In article uLzfc.139008$gA5.1666922@attbi_s03, Mike Hide
wrote:

Well Greg how observant you are ,chipmunks are much better at crosscutting
than most critters .Research over the years indicates the tthe chipmunks
tooth configuration is primarily responsible for the chip free cuts. The
chipmunk has a triple cut tooth arrange ment very similar to the Forrest
best crosscut blade which most people on this group covet so much.

Well, we have chipmunks here, but they're pretty spendy. For basic
crosscutting, we use the Richardson's Ground Squirrel (aka "gopher")
vis:

http://www.woodenwabbits.com/art/gopher.jpg

djb

--
Was that last sig line lame or what?

Tom Watson

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 03:24:43 GMT, "Mike Hide"
wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your kind suggestions, Michael.

I would encourage you to try training chimps to do CAD drawings. The
place where I now work seems to have done so, albeit with indifferent
results. It is difficult to tell exactly what sort of animals are
behind the closed doors in "Engineer's Row".

From the drawings that I have seen - they might not be primates at
all.