Ron Robinson

Default Planing Tapered Blanks

In the latest shop notes there are plans for a hardware cabinet with
tapered drawer pulls. The author makes the tapered blanks by building
a sled to hold the blanks at the proper angle as they travel through
the thickness planer. The sled does not travel. Questions:

Has anyone tried something similar?
Results?
Tips?

I would think the surface of the sled would have to be slick to avoid
having the blank "jam".

Any thoughts appreciated.

Ron
Ron Robinson

JOAT,

It sure looks like it from the picture. The "sled" (their word not
mine) looks like a big T-square with the square registered against the
infeed table of the planer. The directions say to tape the "sled" to
the infeed table. It seemed to me (as it does to you) that the
fixture holding the blank at the proper angle should travel with the
work.

Ron