Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Workbench Design (revised) w/SketchUp

On 4/18/2010 2:15 AM, Bill wrote:
If you are possibly curious in the present state of my workbench design, an
abridged version of Garrett Hack's work, or would care see what a beginner
can do with SketchUp, my pdf file is at the following web site:

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Note: Mr. Hack used wedged tenons (2!) at each joint between a trestle shoe
and a trestle post. Me, it's all I can do to keep up with his terminology!
The tenons are not visible from the viewpoint provided (nor are the trestle
tops, nor the breadboard ends...). Final dimensions, in particular the
height, are also not decided (sounds like I haven't done a darn thing!).

It's a good-looking bench, and a well-done drawing!

I looked at your shop drawing, and suggest that you consider adding an
under-bench shelf so you can set a tool aside without having it in your
way on top of the bench or behind you on the saw top.

Some time back I took a shot (with SketchUp) to design a 2x4 and 2x6
bench (not anywhere near as elegant as yours) and incorporated a pair of
shelves so I could keep tools and parts handy for the kinds of projects
I like to do, and get a little more out of the area taken up by the bench:

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/LLJ/ (bottom of page)

One lingering question I have been thinking about is how to cut the
(traditional) shape:

It looks like a job for your bandsaw.

--
Morris Dovey