Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Unisaw Bearings

Replaced the arbor bearings a few weeks ago and now they are making noise
again. They can't be worn out already, what else could cause the noise?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 7, 11:31*am, The Wolf wrote:
Replaced the arbor bearings a few weeks ago and now they are making noise
again. They can't be worn out already, what else could cause the noise?

Its a possibility the replacement bearings might have been defective
( They might have been on the shelf long enough for the lubrication to
fail.)
Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

GROVER wrote:
On Apr 7, 11:31 am, The Wolf wrote:
Replaced the arbor bearings a few weeks ago and now they are making noise
again. They can't be worn out already, what else could cause the noise?

Its a possibility the replacement bearings might have been defective
( They might have been on the shelf long enough for the lubrication to
fail.)
Joe G

I _could_ get hit by an asteroid this afternoon, too...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

The Wolf wrote:
Replaced the arbor bearings a few weeks ago and now they are making noise
again. They can't be worn out already, what else could cause the noise?

Was the noise gone immediately after replacement but now it's back again?

If so, I'd say you either have a severe misalignment, _way_ too much
belt tension or similar problem causing a premature failure or as Lew
says, screwed 'em up in the replacement process....or, the bearings
weren't and aren't the noise in the first place. But, what specifically
was a noise is pretty much indeterminate from here w/o knowing what it
sounds like or anything else--perhaps, it's simply normal or the motor or...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GROVER" wrote in message
On Apr 7, 11:31 am, The Wolf wrote:
Replaced the arbor bearings a few weeks ago and now they are making noise
again. They can't be worn out already, what else could cause the noise?

Its a possibility the replacement bearings might have been defective
( They might have been on the shelf long enough for the lubrication to
fail.)
Joe G

More likely to have installed cheap bearings in the first place or damaged
when inserting them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

It was gone immediately after replacement but now is back. It's the arbor,
not the motor.

Am going to pull the top soon and investigate further. There were some
hairline cracks in the bracket on top of the right bearing. Don't know if
this was a factor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 7, 3:16*pm, dpb wrote:
The Wolf wrote:
Replaced the arbor bearings a few weeks ago and now they are making noise
again. They can't be worn out already, what else could cause the noise?

Was the noise gone immediately after replacement but now it's back again?

If so, I'd say you either have a severe misalignment, _way_ too much
belt tension or similar problem causing a premature failure or as Lew
says, screwed 'em up in the replacement process....or, the bearings
weren't and aren't the noise in the first place. *But, what specifically
was a noise is pretty much indeterminate from here w/o knowing what it
sounds like or anything else--perhaps, it's simply normal or the motor or....

No sarcasm intended here, but can "too much belt tension" ever be a
problem with an Unisaw? The motor's weight hanging from a pin
provides tension across all three belts.
Also to the original poster; I would like to know how old your Uni is
and how much you use it. I am only curious because I wonder when (or
if) I will be noticing any bearing wear in the next few years.
Thanks,
Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message

No sarcasm intended here, but can "too much belt tension" ever be a
problem with an Unisaw?

Probably not as with use the belts will stretch out. Typically you want the
initial belt tension pretty tight.

The motor's weight hanging from a pin
provides tension across all three belts.

Yes but it is not the free hanging weight of the motor that provides the
tension. Most cabinet saws belts are tensioned much like those on an
automibile, hanging weight of the motor like that on a contractors saw is
not the norm.

Now the older Unisaws may be totally different. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/8/2010 8:14 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes but it is not the free hanging weight of the motor that provides the
tension. Most cabinet saws belts are tensioned much like those on an
automibile, hanging weight of the motor like that on a contractors saw is
not the norm.

Now the older Unisaws may be totally different. ;~)

Tensioning the belts on all Unisaurs that I've ever seen is the same,
and, like you say, pretty much like those on an automobile ... belt
tension is locked in with a bolt and bracket.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 8, 9:45*am, Swingman wrote:
On 4/8/2010 8:14 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes but it is not the free hanging weight of the motor that provides the
tension. *Most cabinet saws belts are tensioned much like those on an
automibile, hanging weight of the motor like that on a contractors saw is
not the norm.

Now the older Unisaws may be totally different. * *;~)

Tensioning the belts on all Unisaurs that I've ever seen is the same,
and, like you say, pretty much like those on an automobile ... belt
tension is locked in with a bolt and bracket.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Hey Karl and Leon,
Yes, I was not thinking properly. I had disassembled a '63 Uni and my
working Uni has not been touched (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) and
I can not recall all of the steps involved in removing the belts and
motor. I do not recall a locking bolt but I am sure it existed and
just absent from memory. I hope to refresh that memory this
evening.

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 7, 3:12*pm, dpb wrote:
GROVER wrote:
On Apr 7, 11:31 am, The Wolf wrote:
Replaced the arbor bearings a few weeks ago and now they are making noise
again. They can't be worn out already, what else could cause the noise?

Its a possibility the replacement bearings might have been defective
( They might have been on the shelf long enough for the lubrication to
fail.)
Joe G

I _could_ get hit by an asteroid this afternoon, too...

--

You should probably wear a hard hat.
Joe G