Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rocking Chair Problem

I rocked too hard on the old rocking chair and broke the 2 rockers. I
do not see a problem with making replacement rockers. Where I see a
problem is fitting the new rockers on to the legs. The 2 legs on each
side are not parrallel to each other. From the bottom of the seat the
distance between them increases towards the bottom. The bottom of the
legs are round tenons, I am unable to figure out how I will be able to
get these tenons into the mortises on the rocker.
Any help will be appreciated!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 03/23/2010 04:39 PM, trvlnmny wrote:
I rocked too hard on the old rocking chair and broke the 2 rockers. I
do not see a problem with making replacement rockers. Where I see a
problem is fitting the new rockers on to the legs. The 2 legs on each
side are not parrallel to each other. From the bottom of the seat the
distance between them increases towards the bottom. The bottom of the
legs are round tenons, I am unable to figure out how I will be able to
get these tenons into the mortises on the rocker.
Any help will be appreciated!!

Are the "round tenons" really part of the legs, or are they actually dowels? In the rocking
chairs I've built, the rockers are the last pieces installed, by way of turning the chair
upside down and drilling down through the rockers into the legs, filling the whole business
up with glue and driving the dowels down through the rockers and into the legs. You could
probably use a similar approach. If they are in fact integral with the legs and you don't
want to drill them out and use dowels instead, about the only way I could think to do it
(without disassembling the legs and perhaps many other things as well) would be to make the
new rockers a saw kerf wider than they need to be, then splitting them down the middle on
the table saw, temporarily clamping them back together, drilling the necessary receiving
holes in the rockers right where the saw had split them in half, then gluing the rockers
back together to "surround" the tenons in the legs. Kinda wacky I know, but not sure what
other approach you could take.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking
lh lh is offline

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:39:47 -0700 (PDT), trvlnmny
wrote:

I rocked too hard on the old rocking chair and broke the 2 rockers. I
do not see a problem with making replacement rockers. Where I see a
problem is fitting the new rockers on to the legs. The 2 legs on each
side are not parrallel to each other. From the bottom of the seat the
distance between them increases towards the bottom. The bottom of the
legs are round tenons, I am unable to figure out how I will be able to
get these tenons into the mortises on the rocker.
Any help will be appreciated!!

Cut tenons in thechair posts, set the chair on the rockers, scribe the
tenon outlines on the rockers, chop the mortises with a chisel and
then secure with screwa from the bottom.

That's how they teach it at Homestead Heritage. Paul Sellers shows the
technique in the Feb 2005 issue of Woodwork Magazine (RIP)
Email me and I will send you a xerox of the page if you can't find the
issue.

progress...old rocking chair Walter Johnson[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 5 October 31st 07 05:37 PM
old double rocking chair william kossack Woodworking 0 June 30th 06 03:05 PM
ROCKING HORSE CHAIR J T Woodworking 0 December 18th 05 06:29 PM
Rocking chair conversion Jay Pique Woodworking 0 November 13th 05 05:14 PM
ROCKING CHAIR J T Woodworking 0 January 5th 05 10:19 AM