Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is there an easy way to remove fish eye AND obtain a gloss finish?

The end flap of our dining room table got scratched. It is cherry
wood. I sanded it down to the wood, had a Cabot stain custom mixed at
LOWES and applied it. The match was good. I put a coat of MinWax rub
on Gloss Poly on it. It fish eyed and was flat, no gloss what so
ever.. I lightly sanded it and put a second coat on. Same result. So I
bought a spray can of the MinWax gloss Poly. Same results, the fish
eyes are still there and absolutely NO gloss. I can understand the
reason for the fish eyes, but I can't figure out why it will not dry
with a gloss shine.
Is there anything I can try before I start over from scratch? It
doesn't have to be perfect, just a gloss finish.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 10, 8:59*am, Tom wrote:
The end flap of our dining room table got scratched. It is cherry
wood. I sanded it down to the wood, had a Cabot stain custom mixed at
LOWES and applied it. The match was good. I put a coat of MinWax rub
on Gloss Poly on it. It fish eyed and was flat, no gloss what so
ever.. I lightly sanded it and put a second coat on. Same result. So I
bought a spray can of the MinWax gloss Poly. Same results, the fish
eyes are still there and absolutely NO gloss. I can understand the
reason for the fish eyes, but I can't figure out why it will not dry
with a gloss shine.
Is there anything I can try before I start over from scratch? It
doesn't have to be perfect, just a gloss finish.

What is the temperature of your project when applying the finish?
Humidity? Because it sounds like 'blushing' to me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2010 7:59 AM, Tom wrote:
The end flap of our dining room table got scratched. It is cherry
wood. I sanded it down to the wood, had a Cabot stain custom mixed at
LOWES and applied it. The match was good. I put a coat of MinWax rub
on Gloss Poly on it. It fish eyed and was flat, no gloss what so
ever.. I lightly sanded it and put a second coat on. Same result. So I
bought a spray can of the MinWax gloss Poly. Same results, the fish
eyes are still there and absolutely NO gloss. I can understand the
reason for the fish eyes, but I can't figure out why it will not dry
with a gloss shine.
Is there anything I can try before I start over from scratch? It
doesn't have to be perfect, just a gloss finish.

Assuming this is indeed silicone induced "fish eye", silicone
contamination can generally only be rectified with more silicone,
contained in an additive that is sold as "fish eye eliminator".

Have you tried such a product?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom wrote:
The end flap of our dining room table got scratched. It is cherry
wood. I sanded it down to the wood, had a Cabot stain custom mixed at
LOWES and applied it. The match was good. I put a coat of MinWax rub
on Gloss Poly on it. It fish eyed and was flat, no gloss what so
ever.. I lightly sanded it and put a second coat on. Same result. So I
bought a spray can of the MinWax gloss Poly. Same results, the fish
eyes are still there and absolutely NO gloss. I can understand the
reason for the fish eyes, but I can't figure out why it will not dry
with a gloss shine.
Is there anything I can try before I start over from scratch? It
doesn't have to be perfect, just a gloss finish.

By chance was the Cabot stain oil based and the wipe-on poly water based?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA