Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cut off your finger? Sue

http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2010 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Asshat lawyers ... greed rewarding stupidity/personal irresponsibility.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 4:26*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 3/8/2010 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Asshat lawyers ... *greed rewarding stupidity/personal irresponsibility..

I couldn't agree more.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2010 4:54 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
On Mar 8, 4:26 pm, wrote:
On 3/8/2010 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Asshat lawyers ... greed rewarding stupidity/personal irresponsibility.

I couldn't agree more.

My problem isn't with the asshat lawyers but with the asshat judge and
asshat jury that let the trial go forward to begin with and then ruled
in favor of the plaintiffs.

And it shows that the other manufacturers were right to not back
sawstop--exactly what was predicted is taking place and in a few years
from now the affordable power saw will cease to exist as they become
laden with lawyer-induced safety features each of which adds its
increment of cost.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 4:26 pm, wrote:
On 3/8/2010 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Asshat lawyers ... greed rewarding stupidity/personal irresponsibility.

I couldn't agree more.

My problem isn't with the asshat lawyers but with the asshat judge and
asshat jury that let the trial go forward to begin with and then ruled
in favor of the plaintiffs.

And it shows that the other manufacturers were right to not back
sawstop--exactly what was predicted is taking place and in a few years
from now the affordable power saw will cease to exist as they become
laden with lawyer-induced safety features each of which adds its
increment of cost.

Not to mention that the ass hat *could* have bought a Saw Stop if his finger
were that important to him. Seems he is the *only* negligent one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman writes:
On 3/8/2010 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Asshat lawyers ... greed rewarding stupidity/personal irresponsibility.

Won't survive appeal. It's a shame that the lawyers will be the only
ones to win, here.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 08 Mar 2010 22:47:58 GMT, the infamous (Scott
Lurndal) scrawled the following:

Swingman writes:
On 3/8/2010 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Asshat lawyers ... greed rewarding stupidity/personal irresponsibility.

Won't survive appeal.

I sure hope not. The McDonalds coffee case was by the judge and
Mickey D's paid only her medical fees. They shouldn't have been forced
to pay anything. The old biddy should have jumped out of the car and
waved her hot clothes in the air to instantly cool them, preventing
the majority of the burns. That's what we do...er, would do if that
ever happened, right?

It's a shame that the lawyers will be the only
ones to win, here.

As usual. It's disgusting. My next door neighbor just lost her
defense of her land from a rich neighbor who wanted it. There are
still squatter's rights here in OR and even though the rich neighbor
couldn't prove that she'd been using the land for 10 years, she had
friends swear that she had and the judge gave it to her.

Friends, our legal, penal, political, and medical systems are severely
broken. Is it time to do more than brew tea?

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.
-- Chuang-tzu
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 03/08/2010 03:26 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/8/2010 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Asshat lawyers ... greed rewarding stupidity/personal irresponsibility.

I dislike lawyers as much as the next guy...but I also think it's a bit
odd that none of the other manufacturers has even attempted to come up
with something similar. Surely the Sawstop guys haven't locked down the
patents that tightly.

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't own a Sawstop but I'd use
one if someone bought it for me.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2010 5:13 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

I dislike lawyers as much as the next guy...but I also think it's a bit
odd that none of the other manufacturers has even attempted to come up
with something similar. Surely the Sawstop guys haven't locked down the
patents that tightly.

The "guy", Steve Gass, _is_ a patent attorney.

Like they say ... one lawyer in a town will starve to death, two and
they'll both get rich.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 15:26:15 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 3/8/2010 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Asshat lawyers ... greed rewarding stupidity/personal irresponsibility.

How do I word this softly? "I can't wait for some idiot to get hurt on
his SawStop saw to prove that they can't keep idiots from hurting
themselves."

How about new legislation, mandating that "any lawyer who loses a
frivial case has to suffer that malady he was ranting about"?

(frivial = trivial + frivolous)

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.
-- Chuang-tzu
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 10:38*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 15:26:15 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 3/8/2010 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Asshat lawyers ... *greed rewarding stupidity/personal irresponsibility.

How do I word this softly? "I can't wait for some idiot to get hurt on
his SawStop saw to prove that they can't keep idiots from hurting
themselves."

Now *there* is a suit. They're advertising that they will protect you
from yourself!

How about new legislation, mandating that "any lawyer who loses a
frivial case has to suffer that malady he was ranting about"?

(frivial = trivial + frivolous)

Wouldn't that be trialous? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:55:10 -0800 (PST), the infamous
" scrawled the following:

On Mar 9, 10:38*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 15:26:15 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 3/8/2010 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Asshat lawyers ... *greed rewarding stupidity/personal irresponsibility.

How do I word this softly? "I can't wait for some idiot to get hurt on
his SawStop saw to prove that they can't keep idiots from hurting
themselves."

Now *there* is a suit. They're advertising that they will protect you
from yourself!

How about new legislation, mandating that "any lawyer who loses a
frivial case has to suffer that malady he was ranting about"?

(frivial = trivial + frivolous)

Wouldn't that be trialous? ;-)

How DARE you mock my mock words! Harrumph! stomp, pout

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Just think, those who are against the use of your new word can be
described as confrivial.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 15:26:15 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 3/8/2010 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Asshat lawyers ... greed rewarding stupidity/personal irresponsibility.

How do I word this softly? "I can't wait for some idiot to get hurt on
his SawStop saw to prove that they can't keep idiots from hurting
themselves."

If you come up with something idiot proof, they'll just come up with better
idiots.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/10 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

I wonder if Ryobi's lawyers even asked if he took off the saw guard.
I would bet a high end SawStop that he no guard on the saw.

I also wonder if SawStop is paying dudes to cut off their fingers and
sue. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Table Saw Safety was Cut off your finger? Sue

-MIKE- writes:
On 3/8/10 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

I wonder if Ryobi's lawyers even asked if he took off the saw guard.
I would bet a high end SawStop that he no guard on the saw.

I've seen a couple of construction workers and a bunch of amateur
homeowners crosscutting freehand on these portable table saws. They
eventually get what they deserve.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2010 4:49 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
On 3/8/10 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

I wonder if Ryobi's lawyers even asked if he took off the saw guard.
I would bet a high end SawStop that he no guard on the saw.

I've seen a couple of construction workers and a bunch of amateur
homeowners crosscutting freehand on these portable table saws. They
eventually get what they deserve.

"Carlos Osorio", a hardwood floor installer ... hmmmmm, wonder if he was
fresh from Home Depot?

This guy, nails it:

http://www.protoolreviews.com/news/e...e-saw-not-good

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:58:27 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

writes:
On 3/8/10 3:21 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

I wonder if Ryobi's lawyers even asked if he took off the saw guard.
I would bet a high end SawStop that he no guard on the saw.

I've seen a couple of construction workers and a bunch of amateur
homeowners crosscutting freehand on these portable table saws. They
eventually get what they deserve.

"Carlos Osorio", a hardwood floor installer ... hmmmmm, wonder if he was
fresh from Home Depot?

Bwaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha! My thoughts ran that direction, too.

This guy, nails it:

http://www.protoolreviews.com/news/e...e-saw-not-good

Yeah, good article.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.
-- Chuang-tzu
Posted to rec.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" wrote

http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

Suing after you cut your finger off is dumb. Recently I find myself full of
fear every time I want to cut a piece of wood on my saw. I'm a nervous
wreck and the stress is not good for me. I'm going to sue so they put a
flesh detecting device on my saw and enough money for a relaxing vacation.

Get my lawyer on the phone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:34:23 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"GarageWoodworks" wrote

http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

Suing after you cut your finger off is dumb. Recently I find myself full of
fear every time I want to cut a piece of wood on my saw. I'm a nervous
wreck and the stress is not good for me. I'm going to sue so they put a
flesh detecting device on my saw and enough money for a relaxing vacation.

Have a beer. I'll sooth your nerves.

Get my lawyer on the phone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 17:35:12 -0600, the infamous
" scrawled the
following:

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:34:23 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"GarageWoodworks" wrote

http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

Suing after you cut your finger off is dumb. Recently I find myself full of
fear every time I want to cut a piece of wood on my saw. I'm a nervous
wreck and the stress is not good for me. I'm going to sue so they put a
flesh detecting device on my saw and enough money for a relaxing vacation.

Have a beer. I'll sooth your nerves.

Get my lawyer on the phone.

Better yet, if you go drink a fifth of bourbon before using the saw,
you can sue both the distillery and the sawmaker, you wonderful guy!

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.
-- Chuang-tzu
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 3:21*pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---www.garagewoodworks.com

HHHMMMMmmmmmm. Which pinkie could I do without?

Hmmmmmmmm!

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---www.garagewoodworks.com

HHHMMMMmmmmmm. * Which pinkie could I do without?

Hmmmmmmmm!

RonB

Pinkies, you need to play piano. Better one of your toes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
GarageWoodworks spewed forth:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

absurd
Someone PLEASE add more chlorine to the gene pool

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:27:34 -0600, the infamous "ChairMan"
scrawled the following:

In ,
GarageWoodworks spewed forth:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

absurd
Someone PLEASE add more chlorine to the gene pool

Attorneys are the anti-chlorine in our gene pool.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.
-- Chuang-tzu
Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Larry Jaques spewed forth:

,
GarageWoodworks spewed forth:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

absurd
Someone PLEASE add more chlorine to the gene pool

Attorneys are the anti-chlorine in our gene pool.

outta be a no limit all season on 'em
kinda like feral pigs here in tejasg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2010 12:28 AM, ChairMan wrote:
In ,
Larry spewed forth:
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:27:34 -0600, the infamous "ChairMan"
scrawled the following:

In
,
spewed forth:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

absurd
Someone PLEASE add more chlorine to the gene pool

Attorneys are the anti-chlorine in our gene pool.

outta be a no limit all season on 'em
kinda like feral pigs here in tejasg

Lawyers, politicians, and journalists. A pox on all their houses.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ChairMan" wrote in message
om...
In ,
Larry Jaques spewed forth:
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:27:34 -0600, the infamous "ChairMan"
scrawled the following:

In
,
GarageWoodworks spewed forth:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

absurd
Someone PLEASE add more chlorine to the gene pool

Attorneys are the anti-chlorine in our gene pool.

outta be a no limit all season on 'em
kinda like feral pigs here in tejasg

The sport in that would get old in a hurry as there are so many of them.
And what do you do with the carcass? It would be so full of **** that
the meat would be useless. I'd like to see a bounty on them with the
carcasses rendered into oil. That should help solve 2 problems.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

Artemus wrote:
"ChairMan" wrote in message
om...
In ,
Larry Jaques spewed forth:
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:27:34 -0600, the infamous "ChairMan"
scrawled the following:

In
,
GarageWoodworks spewed forth:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

absurd
Someone PLEASE add more chlorine to the gene pool

Attorneys are the anti-chlorine in our gene pool.

outta be a no limit all season on 'em
kinda like feral pigs here in tejasg

The sport in that would get old in a hurry as there are so many of
them. And what do you do with the carcass? It would be so full of
**** that the meat would be useless. I'd like to see a bounty on
them with the carcasses rendered into oil. That should help solve 2
problems.
Art

do like they did with wolves. you only have to turn in the ears.

they stopped using rendered whale oil a long time ago. what would you
propose we do with rendered lawyer oil? there's only so many swiss watches
needing lubrication.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Irrational... if it was so important why did he buy the saw he purchased?

Due to the irrationality of this suit that gene pool may need terming... He
cut the wrong part off for that though...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 4:21*pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---www.garagewoodworks.com

Two questions:

1. Did SawStop fund this guys legal fight?

2. What do regular folks do when they want to sell there table saw to
upgrade?

This decision blows!
Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:

http://bit.ly/bUTXOP

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

So lets see, the inventor of Saw Stop is a Patent Attorney and gets bored
with not making money with his chosen career. Dreams up this idea of a
Table Saw that can stop the blade on contact with flesh. Tries to push
this new tech. on Saw Manufactures and fails. Decides to start his own
Table Saw Manufacture. I would imagine sales are decent but not decent
enough for the inventor so decides to lobby for this new tech. on every
table saw built today. If the millionaire wins he becomes a billionaire.
Somehow I get the feeling this was the plan when he started the patent
process. Now that's what I call a "Great Business Plan", at of course the
expense of Table Saw Manufactures and Table Saw users all over the
world!!!!

And of course Congress will probably go along with it, since they see the
US citizen as dumb asses with the need to nanny state everything.

You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3
Website: www.rentmyhusband.biz
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Evodawg" wrote in message

So lets see, the inventor of Saw Stop is a Patent Attorney and gets bored
with not making money with his chosen career. Dreams up this idea of a
Table Saw that can stop the blade on contact with flesh. Tries to push
this new tech. on Saw Manufactures and fails. Decides to start his own
Table Saw Manufacture. I would imagine sales are decent but not decent
enough for the inventor so decides to lobby for this new tech. on every
table saw built today. If the millionaire wins he becomes a billionaire.
Somehow I get the feeling this was the plan when he started the patent
process. Now that's what I call a "Great Business Plan", at of course the
expense of Table Saw Manufactures and Table Saw users all over the
world!!!!

This is the part of this discussion that I just don't get. Someone invents
something that actually does have a value and a purpose, and tries to grab
the brass ring. Hell - that is the American way. What is wrong with that?
So he tried to get his invention adopted by all of the manufacturers, so he
started his own company because they all turned him down. What's the big
deal? How is that at the expense of table saw manufacturers? Or users?

You can fault his attempts to mandate his invention by law, but I'm not even
sure I'd fault him for that effort. Any expense to table saw manufacturers
lies solely at the feet of the legal system. Narrow that down a little
further - to the jury system. Your neighbors and mine. You can't even
fault the lawyers - all they do is argue a case. Both sides argue opposing
sides. It's the people in the box that make the decision.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 11:44*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
"Evodawg" wrote in message

[...]

So far, nothing - read on.

You can fault his attempts to mandate his invention by law, but I'm not even
sure I'd fault him for that effort. *

You appear to be the only one here. You don't see a conflict of
interest? He has a state-mandated monopoly (patent) and you don't see
a problem with the state also requiring his device? boggle

Any expense to table saw manufacturers
lies solely at the feet of the legal system. *Narrow that down a little
further - to the jury system. *Your neighbors and mine. *You can't even
fault the lawyers - all they do is argue a case. *Both sides argue opposing
sides. *It's the people in the box that make the decision.

....and you think this is goodness?

Get real! Saws are dangerous things. We *all* know it, as did the
PROFESSIONAL. Whether we *choose* to use a dangerous tool is our
business, not the nanny-state's.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

You appear to be the only one here.

Oh hell, I'm used to that. Great minds often stand alone...

You don't see a conflict of
interest?

Absolutely not. How do you see a conflict of interest?

He has a state-mandated monopoly (patent) and you don't see
a problem with the state also requiring his device? boggle

A patent is a state-mandated monoploy? Do you realize you cannot patent a
concept, only a method? He has no such monopoly. Anyone can invent their
own technology to do the same thing in a different way. Happens every day.
Would not surprise me if we see a competing idea hit the street soon, now
that a jury of your neighbors and mine have put on their stupid hats.

Any expense to table saw manufacturers
lies solely at the feet of the legal system. Narrow that down a little
further - to the jury system. Your neighbors and mine. You can't even
fault the lawyers - all they do is argue a case. Both sides argue
opposing
sides. It's the people in the box that make the decision.

...and you think this is goodness?

Where did I ever say that? I don't mind defending my ideas, but try to keep
your exceptions to my ideas limited to what I have actually said.

Get real! Saws are dangerous things. We *all* know it, as did the
PROFESSIONAL. Whether we *choose* to use a dangerous tool is our
business, not the nanny-state's.

Good lord - where are you coming from? You need to go back and re-read my
comments. "Get real"??? Kindly point me to what I said that you find so
offensive.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-09 13:10:57 -0500, " said:

You appear to be the only one here. You don't see a conflict of
interest? He has a state-mandated monopoly (patent) and you don't see
a problem with the state also requiring his device? boggle

Nope -- he offered to license the technology (perhaps the fee was
higher than some might deem appropriate, but's that's not _really_ the
issue). The others were certainly free to develop their own systems.

What seems to gall many writing in this thread is that with a mandated
safety system, there well be no _cheap_ (read: inexpensive) saws. That
means no saws built to a price point for the HDs of this world. Is that
a bad thing? If that's all you think you could afford, yes, it's bad.

If you're DELTA hawking a new Unisaw, yeah, it's bad, because your
price point is in the neighborhood of the SawStop.

If you're a hand surgeon (Anyone out there falling into this category?
Hands, please!) this is a bad thing because it's gonna affect your
livelihood. Conversly, this is a good thing for insurance companies...
but you knew that.

If you'd like to keep your fingers where they belong (on your hands, of
course -- what did you think I meant?) then this is a damn good thing.

The price of a SawStop (irrespectively of the technology, I'm told this
is a GOOD machine) is real cheap insurance. The repair of a partially
severed tendon ten years ago (don't ask, it wasn't in the shop) was
$3,500. Granted, you can barely see the scar, but I'd much rather have
spent that on something else.

I'm pretty new to woodshop. I gulped at the price when I first saw the
SawStop, but I made the decsion right then and there this would be my
next TS. And I will be plunking down the cash real soon.

So, is the management of SawStop ethical in pushing for the safety mandate?

For me, it's not an issue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2010 9:46 PM, Steve wrote:

I'm pretty new to woodshop. I gulped at the price when I first saw the
SawStop, but I made the decsion right then and there this would be my
next TS. And I will be plunking down the cash real soon.

It's a damn good thing, because the choice will soon be out of your
hands, and shortly after that you won't be able to buy a dado stack
because it is too dangerous for a fool who needs to be protected from
himself.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-09 13:10:57 -0500, " said:

You appear to be the only one here. *You don't see a conflict of
interest? *He has a state-mandated monopoly (patent) and you don't see
a problem with the state also requiring his device? boggle

Nope -- he offered to license the technology (perhaps the fee was
higher than some might deem appropriate, but's that's not _really_ the
issue). The others were certainly free to develop their own systems.

Good grief... That's fine but what if the SawStop hired sufficient
lobbiests to make non-SawStop saws were illegal to sell? Do you think
the "license fees" would be more reasonable?

What seems to gall many writing in this thread is that with a mandated
safety system, there well be no _cheap_ (read: inexpensive) saws. That
means no saws built to a price point for the HDs of this world. Is that
a bad thing? If that's all you think you could afford, yes, it's bad.

Yes, it is BAD. Do you think SawStops would be cheaper if they were
MANDATED?

If you're DELTA hawking a new Unisaw, yeah, it's bad, because your
price point is in the neighborhood of the SawStop.

If I'm me, it's bad because I wouldn't have (didn't, in fact) buy a
SawStop because the feature isn't worth the money. I bought a Unisaw
because it was affordable. If it were mandated I likely wouldn't have
bought any saw.

If you're a hand surgeon (Anyone out there falling into this category?
Hands, please!) this is a bad thing because it's gonna affect your
livelihood. Conversly, this is a good thing for insurance companies...
but you knew that.

Lets make cars illegal too. You know how much money is wasted on
medical care for accident victims?

If you'd like to keep your fingers where they belong (on your hands, of
course -- what did you think I meant?) then this is a damn good thing.

What an asinine argument. Isn't it better to not get your fingers in
the path of a blade. It seems plenty of people manage to do just
that.

The price of a SawStop (irrespectively of the technology, I'm told this
is a GOOD machine) is real cheap insurance. The repair of a partially
severed tendon ten years ago (don't ask, it wasn't in the shop) was
$3,500. Granted, you can barely see the scar, but I'd much rather have
spent that on something else.

I'd rather, and did, spend the money for a SawStop on something else.

I'm pretty new to woodshop. I gulped at the price when I first saw the
SawStop, but I made the decsion right then and there this would be my
next TS. And I will be plunking down the cash real soon.

Goody for you. I plan to keep my fingers out of the business parts on
my Unisaw. I looked at a SawStop, but at twice the price of the
Unisaw it was a non-starter. Choice is a good thing.

So, is the management of SawStop ethical in pushing for the safety mandate?

For me, it's not an issue.

Goody for you. It's obvious that you're the only one who matters.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

"Evodawg" wrote in message

[...]

This part of the story is fine and yes it is a wonderful invention. I
agree with his business plan up to this point.

How is that at the expense of table saw manufacturers? Or users?

You can fault his attempts to mandate his invention by law, but I'm not
even
sure I'd fault him for that effort. Any expense to table saw
manufacturers
lies solely at the feet of the legal system. Narrow that down a little
further - to the jury system. Your neighbors and mine. You can't even
fault the lawyers - all they do is argue a case. Both sides argue
opposing
sides. It's the people in the box that make the decision.

This is where I have a problem. Mandate this invention on all Table Saws?
This is just an attempt to force his will on all. I have a really big
problem with that!!! You can buy a small table table saw for around
100.00. I use an old Delta which I will call a Miniature Table Saw
probably 2-3 times a week, (off site portable) which I paid 80.00. How
much would it cost to put this SS invention on this saw? More then the saw
is worth. If you can't figure out that using a table saw is dangerous and
you need to use special precautions then you have no reason using it. Have
no problem signing an agreement to hold harmless saw manufactures without
SS.