Guy LaRochelle

Default Cabinet Master Clamps?

Hi guys,

I noticed that Lee Valley is now handling a Cabinet Master Clamp. It looks
much the Bessey K bodies. Has anyone taken a close look at them or used them
to see how they compare to the K bodies? Regards. -Guy LaRochelle

Charlie Self

Guy LaRochelle asks:

I noticed that Lee Valley is now handling a Cabinet Master Clamp. It looks
much the Bessey K bodies. Has anyone taken a close look at them or used them
to see how they compare to the K bodies? Regards. -Guy LaRochelle

Adjustable Clamp Co. (Jorgenson, Pony). Very similar to K body clamps, a tad
lighter, a tad less costly. I've got a few that have seen light use and are
excellent.

Charlie Self
"Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's
truncheon over the anarchist's bomb." Spiro T. Agnew

B a r r y

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 04:53:41 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

I have about a dozen of them.... IMHO better then Bessy as they have the
foot on the end that lets you move the clamping screw end with out moving
the clamp.

Can they be reversed and also used as a spreader? I saw some Cabinet
Masters that looked like they could do this, and wished my K-Bodies
could as well.

Barry
Mike in Mystic

"B a r r y" wrote in message

Can they be reversed and also used as a spreader? I saw some Cabinet
Masters that looked like they could do this, and wished my K-Bodies
could as well.

Hi Barry,

Yes, the cabinet-masters can be reversed and used as a spreader, although I
haven't done so with mine as of yet. I bought in when Woodcraft had their
major sale (I got 8 each of 48", 36" and 24" cabinet-masters) and don't
regret it at all. I also have 10 k-bodies and wouldn't give them away
either - both clamps are great.

As Leon pointed out, not only can the jorgies be reversed, but they have a
little foot that raises the bar slightly off the work surface allowing the
clamping head to slide without having to lift the clamp itself as is
required with k-bodies.

Mike

Eric Lund

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Guy LaRochelle asks:

I noticed that Lee Valley is now handling a Cabinet Master Clamp. It

looks
much the Bessey K bodies. Has anyone taken a close look at them or used

them
to see how they compare to the K bodies? Regards. -Guy LaRochelle

Adjustable Clamp Co. (Jorgenson, Pony). Very similar to K body clamps, a

tad
lighter, a tad less costly. I've got a few that have seen light use and

are
excellent.

A tad lighter?! Perhaps you have that backwards. I've lifted K-bodies and
I have a bunch of Cabinet Masters. The CMs are much heavier for a given
length. They use a very heavy bar. They did make an unfortunate choice for
one of the pieces in the head, it's cast aluminum. These are breaking.
Fortunately, Adjustable is replacing them without question, at least from
what I've heard.

Cheers,
Eric

Charlie Self

Eric Lund writes:

A tad lighter?! Perhaps you have that backwards. I've lifted K-bodies and
I have a bunch of Cabinet Masters. The CMs are much heavier for a given
length. They use a very heavy bar. They did make an unfortunate choice for
one of the pieces in the head, it's cast aluminum.

They changed the head piece in current versions, IIRC. I was working from
memory--I've got some Cabinetmasters here, but my K bodies (all 4 of them) are
in Virginia. Sorry about that.

Charlie Self
"The function of posterity is to look after itself." Dylan Thomas
BIG JOE

It also allows you to balance a 48 incher on a small table top when
using for smaller projects. The new Bessey K bar support can't slide,
so it's needs a support surface at least as wide as the clamp.

The jaws are also noticeably larger and there are no serations on the
bar. I have both and prefer the Jorgies. Home Depot, as expected,
has just added the Cabinet Master to their growing line of Orange
(coincidence?) clamps, but has yet to try to clear out the K's. They
will probably sell out just fine on their own.

My concern is that Home Depot wants $3-$5 more per clamp for the
Cabinet Master than Fleet Farm across the street. Once the Fleet Farm
manager sees this, I'm expecting they'll raise their prices as well.

Joe

As Leon pointed out, not only can the jorgies be reversed, but they have a
little foot that raises the bar slightly off the work surface allowing the
clamping head to slide without having to lift the clamp itself as is
required with k-bodies.

Mike

Leon

"BIG JOE" wrote in message
om...

My concern is that Home Depot wants $3-$5 more per clamp for the
Cabinet Master than Fleet Farm across the street. Once the Fleet Farm
manager sees this, I'm expecting they'll raise their prices as well.

Well if you are lucky you can get them on sale for about $14-17 each as I
did a few months ago.

Edwin Pawlowski

"B a r r y" wrote in message

I deal locally with two dealers that are across the street from BORGs,
both beat, and in some cases KILL, BORG prices.

Barry

I know of Coastal Tool, who is the other? The place in Waterbury? If so,
that is a bit far for me unless I'm headed in that direction anyway.
Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ken Johnsen" wrote in message
news
Ed

Where is Coastal Tool located?

www.coastaltool.com 510 New Park Ave in W. Hartford CT 877.551.8665 Good
prices, good selection, helpful staff. This is the store the pros and
contractors shop.

They will special order parts not normally stocked. I wanted an accessory
for my Biesemeyer fence and no one had it, did not list it and Coastal was
the only one willing to special order it.
Ed

Upscale

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

They will special order parts not normally stocked. I wanted an accessory
for my Biesemeyer fence and no one had it, did not list it and Coastal was
the only one willing to special order it.

Just for interest's sake, what was the accessory you needed that wasn't
readily available?

B a r r y

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:53:07 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"B a r r y" wrote in message

I deal locally with two dealers that are across the street from BORGs,
both beat, and in some cases KILL, BORG prices.

Barry

I know of Coastal Tool, who is the other? The place in Waterbury? If so,
that is a bit far for me unless I'm headed in that direction anyway.
Ed

Yup! Tools Plus.

They are directly across the street from the Waterbury Home Depot. TP
is also a stocking General dealer.

Barry

Edwin Pawlowski

"Upscale" wrote in message news:wS6ac.3322

They will special order parts not normally stocked. I wanted an

accessory
for my Biesemeyer fence and no one had it, did not list it and Coastal

was
the only one willing to special order it.

Just for interest's sake, what was the accessory you needed that wasn't
readily available?

They make a bracket to hold the fence if you take it off the saw. It mounts
under the tableboard on the right side. I think it was $25. Just one of
those thing you don't use often, but makes life a little easier when you
need it.
Ed

Andy

I have an equal number of Bessey K-Body and Jorgenson Cabinet Masters,
and I prefer the Cabinet Masters. The head mechanism and screw is
smoother and I like the maple handles.

Andy