Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shellac flakes

Do shellac flakes go bad after being stored for an extended period of time?
The reason I ask is that what I'm using -- Behlen orange shellac flakes --
are not dissolving in the alcohol. Best guess is that I've had this
container for about five years -- they seem to look just fine, but something
is not right.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2010 2:24 PM, Herb Robinson wrote:
Do shellac flakes go bad after being stored for an extended period of time?
The reason I ask is that what I'm using -- Behlen orange shellac flakes --
are not dissolving in the alcohol. Best guess is that I've had this
container for about five years -- they seem to look just fine, but something
is not right.

Here's a comment from Jeff Jewitt on that very issue:

"Dry shellac flakes store indefinitely under proper conditions, but
contrary to what you may hear, it won't store forever. Given enough
time, especially under hot, wet conditions, dry shellac reacts with
itself to form polymers that are insoluble in alcohol. Shellacs that
have been dewaxed are more prone to this. You can extend the usable life
of dry shellac flakes by storing them after purchase in a cool, dry area
-- a refrigerator is best. A test for suspected old shellac is easy --
simply dissolve the flakes in alcohol. Most shellacs should be totally
dissolved within three days. If you see a gelatinous mass after this
time, the shellac is past its usable life and should be discarded (don't
confuse natural wax with this). If you just purchased it, return it to
the company you bought it from. Sometimes in summer months, shellac will
cake together. This is known in the industry as "blocking" and is not a
sign of bad shellac. Break up the shellac with a hammer and dissolve it
in alcohol as usual."

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 15:42:13 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

[...]

With my last use of some old SuperBlonde Paddylac, it jelled and
didn't want to melt until I put the jar into hot water. After 15
minutes, all was liquid and it didn't give me a bit of trouble. The
DNA was about 48F, so warming it was what did the trick.

(Try that, Herb. It that doesn't fix it, you may not have kept your
flakes safe through heat and cold cycles over that time.)

--
It's a great life...once you weaken.
--author James Hogan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 15, 2010 1:54:12 AM UTC+5:30, Herb Robinson wrote:
Do shellac flakes go bad after being stored for an extended period of time?
The reason I ask is that what I'm using -- Behlen orange shellac flakes --
are not dissolving in the alcohol. Best guess is that I've had this
container for about five years -- they seem to look just fine, but something
is not right.

Hi,

Generally shellac is as good as fine with in three year under normal temperature .New shellac is better rather then old shellac.Shellac is loosing its porperty once it is getting old .

Shellac is always good while it is new .

Aadhya International
www.aadhyainternational.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Aadhya International is a world class manufacturer and exporter of highest - quality shellac flakes and shellac products in India since 2000. Amongst prominent shellac exporters in India, we are reputed for supplying wide varieties of lac products. Having a world wide recognition as well as reference, we have won the trust from renowned customers all over the world for the quality of our shellac flakes and shellac products. Our exclusive range of lac products includes:

Seedlac

Aleuritic Acid

Shellac Flakes

Dewaxed Shellac Flakes

White Shellac for Furniture Polish

Dewaxed Bleached Shellac Powder

Shellac is perfect for antique restoration, furniture refinishing, casework, architectural woodwork, toys and general woodworking. Also used in fruit coating, pharmaceutical industry, lather industry, confectionery and candy industries, cosmetic industry, printing industry, electrical and electronics industry,food packaging industry and many more .

We have not limited ourselves to India as far as our marketing and clients are concerned. Aadhya International have global presence with satisfied clients spread across USA, UK, Europe, Australia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Bulgaria, South Africa and Singapore. Aadhya International also caters to the selected quality consumers in the domestic market in India. Our marketing network is spread with easy connectivity across the globe to ensure that we reach our clients in an effortless manner.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:24:12 AM UTC-10, Herb Robinson wrote:
Do shellac flakes go bad after being stored for an extended period of time?
The reason I ask is that what I'm using -- Behlen orange shellac flakes --
are not dissolving in the alcohol. Best guess is that I've had this
container for about five years -- they seem to look just fine, but something
is not right.

Hi Herb,
My laptop crashed and I lost your email. Please send me a message.
Take care,
Gene
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:24:12 PM UTC-6, Herb Robinson wrote:
Do shellac flakes go bad after being stored for an extended period of time?
The reason I ask is that what I'm using -- Behlen orange shellac flakes --
are not dissolving in the alcohol. Best guess is that I've had this
container for about five years -- they seem to look just fine, but something
is not right.

Swingman, thanks. I wondered why almost all shellac I dissolved had the mass in the bottom. It happened so often, I thought it was normal. Until I happened to get a very fresh package and it all dissolved. I just thought I got lucky.