Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best Saber Saw Blade for 1.5" Maple Bench Top?

I'm building a special work bench, using one of Grizzly's 1.5" thick
"butcher block" bench tops. I need to cut two irregular pockets into one
edge of the bench to mount equipment.

The top is 25" x 48", and way too big (and heavy) to manuever around my
bandsaw. I'm assuming the best approach is to use my trusty ancient B&D
saber saw. I'm wondering which the best sort of blade might be to A)
minimize the load on the saw, and B) minimize the risk of scorching the
maple. I was planning on drilling out the corners to start, which will
keep most of the cuts fairly straight. That way I can use a moderately
wide blade. I've had good luck with a "fleam" ground blade on softer
wood, but I have no idea what it will think of the maple. The saw uses
the the old style blades with a hole, not thenewer Bosch T style.

Alternatively, should I use this as an excuse to buy a super-duper new
saber saw? If so, what should I look for?

Any ideas, warnings or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Doug White