Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cherry 5000 bft

Who is in?

http://www.woodweb.com/exchanges/lum...ts/493496.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

Wish I lived closer

On Jan 26, 11:19*am, Robatoy wrote:
Who is in?

http://www.woodweb.com/exchanges/lum...ts/493496.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Wish I lived closer

Ditto...but...

Any indication if it has been graded or is just tree-run? Good deal
probably anyway, but one wonders sight-unseen w/ no indication at all.

I could possibly be persuaded for a fraction if can find reasonable
trucking arrangement. It's too far for my old truck to make reasonably,
unfortunately.

On Jan 26, 11:19 am, Robatoy wrote:
Who is in?

http://www.woodweb.com/exchanges/lum...ts/493496.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

It is a lumber dealer in a depressed area, so who really knows?
But for under a dollar per BF, including transportation... that pile

I think I will go take a look-see... MI is next door.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 26, 3:20 pm, dpb wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Wish I lived closer

Ditto...but...

Any indication if it has been graded or is just tree-run? Good deal
probably anyway, but one wonders sight-unseen w/ no indication at all.

I could possibly be persuaded for a fraction if can find reasonable
trucking arrangement. It's too far for my old truck to make reasonably,
unfortunately.

On Jan 26, 11:19 am, Robatoy wrote:
Who is in?
http://www.woodweb.com/exchanges/lum...ts/493496.html

--

It is a lumber dealer in a depressed area, so who really knows?
But for under a dollar per BF, including transportation... that pile
could make a lot of people happy.
My apprehension is that it is 4/4 and when you dress a 12" wide
board......

I think I will go take a look-see... MI is next door.

Yeah, I know that's just 'round the corner for you...it's 800(?) mi
here, maybe a little less, I don't go that direction much so not
positive w/o looking it up.

Post again or e-mail if you do I'd surely consider long and hard even so
and do some trucking checking--we have a plant here that sends trucks
all over US so sometimes you can get a deal on a deadhaul return...

d p bozarth at s(outh)w(est)k(s)o(nline) net, not com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Who is in?

http://www.woodweb.com/exchanges/lum...ts/493496.html

Hot damn! But I won't make it up to MI until the last week of May. Rats!!

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 26, 5:57*pm, dpb wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 26, 3:20 pm, dpb wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

At one time I would have said: "How bad can it be?"....well..... it
CAN be bad...
I'll start off with an e-mail and a call. I need to know what it
weighs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jan 26, 5:57 pm, dpb wrote:

--

At one time I would have said: "How bad can it be?"....well..... it
CAN be bad...
I'll start off with an e-mail and a call. I need to know what it
weighs.

I've run into that with white oak "deals" on ungraded wood. One time I was
offered about 500 bf of 4/4 white oak for $250. Most of it ran 4-6" wide.
The mill owner gave me a couple pieces and said "see if you can do anything
with these" as a sample of the pile. Well, it was pretty useless except
perhaps for pallets. Every cross cut I took revealed more checks... there
wasn't a solid piece to be found. In another case, more recently, another
mill owner sold me about 400 bf for $200. In this case most of it was quite
nice and there were a couple pieces of fantastic quarter sawn with huge
fleck patterns. I'd want to put my eyes and hands on the wood before
committing to an ungraded pile of wood like that.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 26, 8:23*pm, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Jan 26, 5:57 pm, dpb wrote:

--
[...]

If it was oak or maple I wouldn't even consider it. Cherry,
traditionally, is much more forgiving.
My problem is that there is so much of it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Jan 26, 5:57 pm, dpb wrote:

--
[...]

My motto when acquiring wood is that that "it only looks like a lot until
you try to do something with it." Between grain and figure matching, color
matching, defects, and the physical size of the wood it is often difficult
to get all the "right" pieces out of even a large pile. I must have handled
every piece of that batch of white oak ten times before I got the right set
of boards together for a project. At that I was still wishing I had more to
choose from...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:19:45 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

Who is in?

http://www.woodweb.com/exchanges/lum...ts/493496.html

Ooh, ooh, I'm in! I'll give you $500 for 1/6 of it, delivered!
Got my address?

---
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado
talking about global warming hysteria, January, 2007.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Robatoy wrote:

My problem is that there is so much of it.

How much of it would you think you'd want/could take? I could probably
handle 1000 bf; I'll check w/ the local cabinet guys in town and see if
they might be interested and we could share trucking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 10:02*am, dpb wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

My problem is that there is so much of it.

How much of it would you think you'd want/could take? *I could probably
handle 1000 bf; I'll check w/ the local cabinet guys in town and see if
they might be interested and we could share trucking.

--

Rough numbers tell me it is about 8 tons. I did get a positive opinion
on the dealer from somebody.

Hit the contact button on my website so we can take this off-line.
topworksdotca
Posted to rec.woodworking

I guess that is a lot of Cherry. Just think how much paint it will
take to cover it all after you build stuff out of it.

wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Jan 26, 5:57 pm, dpb wrote:

--
[...]

My problem is that there is so much of it.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:18:38 -0800 (PST), the infamous
"SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

I guess that is a lot of Cherry. Just think how much paint it will
take to cover it all after you build stuff out of it.

Heck, they won't paint it. They'll stain and poly it, just like they
always do. whimper

---