Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bosch 1617 Bearing Replacement

My 1617, single speed router is getting a little noisy and I suspect
at least the bottom bearing is getting rough. I have both bearing and
have Googled for repair info, but found little that is useful. I did
find the exploded parts diagram.

Bottom bearing looks fairly straight-forward but upper looks like it
will require a complete tear-down.

Has anyone torn into one of these? Any special tools needed to remove
the bearings?

Thanks

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/08/2010 05:13 PM, RonB wrote:
My 1617, single speed router is getting a little noisy and I suspect
at least the bottom bearing is getting rough. I have both bearing and
have Googled for repair info, but found little that is useful. I did
find the exploded parts diagram.

Bottom bearing looks fairly straight-forward but upper looks like it
will require a complete tear-down.

Has anyone torn into one of these? Any special tools needed to remove
the bearings?

Might want to check this thread, including the response from Bosch at
the bottom.

http://www.routerforums.com/starting...er-repair.html

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 3:13*pm, RonB wrote:
My 1617, single speed router is getting a little noisy and I suspect
at least the bottom bearing is getting rough. *

If the brushes are making bad contact (sparking, like makes
a nearby AM radio go crazy), that causes irregular torque
and the motor sounds loud. Clean the brush holders and
inspect the brushes for wear first (it's easy).

Get a REAL arbor press or have a pro put the bearings in,
it matters a lot how straight you press them.