DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT - Let's Hear it for Global Warming!! (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/295568-ot-lets-hear-global-warming.html)

RonB[_2_] January 6th 10 10:47 PM

OT - Let's Hear it for Global Warming!!

Al Gore take note.

Kansas gets cold, but sub zero in the southeastern part of the state
is unusual. Occasionally, we might see -1 or -3 and that is fairly
rare (one or two times/year, if at all.) We make up for the really
cold temperatures with wind.

Our next few nights are forecast in the -5 to -10 range. The
cattlemen are busy and nervous.

Chris Friesen January 6th 10 10:58 PM

On 01/06/2010 04:47 PM, RonB wrote:
Al Gore take note.

Kansas gets cold, but sub zero in the southeastern part of the state
is unusual. Occasionally, we might see -1 or -3 and that is fairly
rare (one or two times/year, if at all.) We make up for the really
cold temperatures with wind.

There is a difference between weather and climate.

Also, the world is bigger than just North America. 2009 was Australia's
3rd hottest year on record since 1910 (and the warmest winter on
record). It was South Korea's 5th warmest since 1912. There are
probably other similar stats but those were just the first couple hits I
found.

Chris

CW[_5_] January 6th 10 11:00 PM

"RonB" wrote in message
Al Gore take note.

Kansas gets cold, but sub zero in the southeastern part of the state
is unusual. Occasionally, we might see -1 or -3 and that is fairly
rare (one or two times/year, if at all.) We make up for the really
cold temperatures with wind.

Our next few nights are forecast in the -5 to -10 range. The
cattlemen are busy and nervous.

Not going to change anybody's mind. According to the envirowakos, the cold
weather you are seeing is due to global warming. I still haven't figured out
how to make ice cubes in my oven but, according to them, it is possible.
Guess I'm just not doing it right.

Markem[_2_] January 6th 10 11:09 PM

OT - Let's Hear it for Global Warming!!

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 15:00:34 -0800, "CW"
wrote:

"RonB" wrote in message
Al Gore take note.

Kansas gets cold, but sub zero in the southeastern part of the state
is unusual. Occasionally, we might see -1 or -3 and that is fairly
rare (one or two times/year, if at all.) We make up for the really
cold temperatures with wind.

Our next few nights are forecast in the -5 to -10 range. The
cattlemen are busy and nervous.

Not going to change anybody's mind. According to the envirowakos, the cold
weather you are seeing is due to global warming. I still haven't figured out
how to make ice cubes in my oven but, according to them, it is possible.
Guess I'm just not doing it right.

Proportional control swing? We are just on a low swing.

;

Mark

Leon[_6_] January 6th 10 11:27 PM

"RonB" wrote in message
Al Gore take note.

Kansas gets cold, but sub zero in the southeastern part of the state
is unusual. Occasionally, we might see -1 or -3 and that is fairly
rare (one or two times/year, if at all.) We make up for the really
cold temperatures with wind.

Our next few nights are forecast in the -5 to -10 range. The
cattlemen are busy and nervous.

I heard a couple from Central America commenting that you never had to wear
a coat while there, for the last several years a coat is required.

Robatoy[_2_] January 6th 10 11:28 PM

On Jan 6, 5:58*pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
On 01/06/2010 04:47 PM, RonB wrote:

Al Gore take note.

Kansas gets cold, but sub zero in the southeastern part of the state
is unusual. * Occasionally, we might see -1 or -3 and that is fairly
rare (one or two times/year, if at all.) *We make up for the really
cold temperatures with wind.

There is a difference between weather and climate.

Also, the world is bigger than just North America. *2009 was Australia's
3rd hottest year on record since 1910 (and the warmest winter on
record). *It was South Korea's 5th warmest since 1912. *There are
probably other similar stats but those were just the first couple hits I
found.

Chris

If the cold air is moving FROM the Arctic, could that warm the Arctic?
Isn't that what Al Ghore is all in a tizzy about? You know, The Burj
Dubai getting completely flooded G

Swingman January 6th 10 11:48 PM

http://www.accuweather.com/video-on-...%20Age%20Scare

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Keith nuttle January 6th 10 11:56 PM

On 1/6/2010 5:58 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
On 01/06/2010 04:47 PM, RonB wrote:
Al Gore take note.

Kansas gets cold, but sub zero in the southeastern part of the state
is unusual. Occasionally, we might see -1 or -3 and that is fairly
rare (one or two times/year, if at all.) We make up for the really
cold temperatures with wind.

There is a difference between weather and climate.

Also, the world is bigger than just North America. 2009 was Australia's
3rd hottest year on record since 1910 (and the warmest winter on
record). It was South Korea's 5th warmest since 1912. There are
probably other similar stats but those were just the first couple hits I
found.

Chris

I believe if you will read the non algorian news you will find that the
whole northern Hemisphere is experiencing the coldest weather on record.
Record snows in America, Europe and in China.

The best part of the Global warming conference was the fact that obama
had trouble getting back into the US because the airports were closed
because of record snow falls.

I question any conclusion when some one tells me there is a 0.4 degree
warming trend when at any given time the temperature variation across
the total face of the earth on any given day is is over 100 degrees.
Based on the precision of the average temperature measurements that is
insignificant. If you know nothing else about statistic do the
Student's T test on the data. In this data t = 0.1 to be significant it
would need to be greater that 2.8. I suspect there would be that much
variance (0,4 degrees)in the temperature with in a couple of hundred
feet of any one temperature measurement point

Swingman January 7th 10 12:05 AM

On 1/6/2010 5:56 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I question any conclusion when some one tells me there is a 0.4 degree
warming trend when at any given time the temperature variation across
the total face of the earth on any given day is is over 100 degrees.
Based on the precision of the average temperature measurements that is
insignificant. If you know nothing else about statistic do the Student's
T test on the data. In this data t = 0.1 to be significant it would
need to be greater that 2.8. I suspect there would be that much variance
(0,4 degrees)in the temperature with in a couple of hundred feet of any
one temperature measurement point

Uhh, uhm, Keith ... if you please, this is not science, this is
politicoreligousity.

Please keep that in mind when introducing scientific reasoning and
accountability into an AGW discussions.

The cabal thanks you ...

there is no cabal

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Nantz January 7th 10 12:41 AM

On Jan 6, 6:05*pm, Swingman wrote:
Uhh, uhm, Keith ... if you please, this is not science, this is
politicoreligousity.

Please keep that in mind when introducing scientific reasoning and
accountability into an AGW discussions.

The cabal thanks you ...

there is no cabal

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

When 95% of the world's climatologists agree on this I have to believe
them. When 95% of the world's politicians agree on something, there's
still room for doubt.
Nantz

Scott Lurndal January 7th 10 12:51 AM

Chris Friesen writes:
On 01/06/2010 04:47 PM, RonB wrote:
Al Gore take note.

Kansas gets cold, but sub zero in the southeastern part of the state
is unusual. Occasionally, we might see -1 or -3 and that is fairly
rare (one or two times/year, if at all.) We make up for the really
cold temperatures with wind.

There is a difference between weather and climate.

Also, the world is bigger than just North America. 2009 was Australia's
3rd hottest year on record since 1910 (and the warmest winter on

Not based on rural stations. see the darwin station analysis. The
"heat" in 2009 oz is mostly UHI.

scott

Doug Miller January 7th 10 01:02 AM

In article , Nantz wrote:

When 95% of the world's climatologists agree on this I have to believe
them. When 95% of the world's politicians agree on something, there's
still room for doubt.

Science does not operate by majority vote. Science operates by making a
hypothesis, then testing it to see if it yields correct or incorrect
predictions about the behavior of the real world.

There was a time when 95% of the world's geologists believed that continents
were fixed in place and did not move.

There was a time when nearly 100% of the world's population, scientists and
otherwise, believed the earth to be flat.

If a position is based upon percentage agreement, it may be politics, it may
be faith, it may be lunacy -- but it is not science.

Robatoy[_2_] January 7th 10 01:26 AM

On Jan 6, 7:05*pm, Swingman wrote:
[...]

AGW.... Al Ghore Witchcraft?

Larry Jaques January 7th 10 01:46 AM

OT - Let's Hear it for Global Warming!!

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 16:58:06 -0600, the infamous Chris Friesen
scrawled the following:

On 01/06/2010 04:47 PM, RonB wrote:
Al Gore take note.

Kansas gets cold, but sub zero in the southeastern part of the state
is unusual. Occasionally, we might see -1 or -3 and that is fairly
rare (one or two times/year, if at all.) We make up for the really
cold temperatures with wind.

There is a difference between weather and climate.

Also, the world is bigger than just North America. 2009 was Australia's
3rd hottest year on record since 1910 (and the warmest winter on
record). It was South Korea's 5th warmest since 1912. There are
probably other similar stats but those were just the first couple hits I
found.

That's what cracks me up about you alarmists. You say "W're all gonna
die as it gets hotter and hotter." then you turn around and make
quotes like that. "3rd hottest" and "5th warmest" mean that weather
has already been hotter than now HOW MANY TIMES?

The fact that the last decade hasn't become hotter should be a clue to
you guys, too.

Keep Googlin'! Eventually you'll stumble over an unpoliticized
version of the truth. g

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution

Larry Jaques January 7th 10 01:49 AM

OT - Let's Hear it for Global Warming!!

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 16:41:39 -0800 (PST), the infamous Nantz
scrawled the following:

On Jan 6, 6:05*pm, Swingman wrote:
Uhh, uhm, Keith ... if you please, this is not science, this is
politicoreligousity.

Please keep that in mind when introducing scientific reasoning and
accountability into an AGW discussions.

The cabal thanks you ...

there is no cabal

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

When 95% of the world's climatologists agree on this I have to believe
them. When 95% of the world's politicians agree on something, there's
still room for doubt.

See recent headlines for the CRU and East Anglia email, Nantz.

LDosser January 7th 10 02:23 AM

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
Chris Friesen writes:
On 01/06/2010 04:47 PM, RonB wrote:
Al Gore take note.

Kansas gets cold, but sub zero in the southeastern part of the state
is unusual. Occasionally, we might see -1 or -3 and that is fairly
rare (one or two times/year, if at all.) We make up for the really
cold temperatures with wind.

There is a difference between weather and climate.

Also, the world is bigger than just North America. 2009 was Australia's
3rd hottest year on record since 1910 (and the warmest winter on

Not based on rural stations. see the darwin station analysis. The
"heat" in 2009 oz is mostly UHI.

scott

South Korea is also experiencing the greatest snowfalls in 70 years.

LDosser January 7th 10 02:28 AM

OT - Let's Hear it for Global Warming!!

"CW" wrote in message
m...

"RonB" wrote in message
Al Gore take note.

Kansas gets cold, but sub zero in the southeastern part of the state
is unusual. Occasionally, we might see -1 or -3 and that is fairly
rare (one or two times/year, if at all.) We make up for the really
cold temperatures with wind.

Our next few nights are forecast in the -5 to -10 range. The
cattlemen are busy and nervous.

Not going to change anybody's mind. According to the envirowakos, the cold
weather you are seeing is due to global warming. I still haven't figured
out how to make ice cubes in my oven but, according to them, it is
possible. Guess I'm just not doing it right.

If - and it's a big If - the Greenland sheet melts And all of the melt water
dumps into the North Atlantic, the disturbance in oceanic currents could
precipitate an Ice Age over most of Europe. The rest of the northern
hemisphere might or might not follow. In this case there will be Falling sea
levels and we'll need to get all the island economies to repay they aid
they've been given.

Swingman January 7th 10 02:32 AM

On 1/6/2010 7:02 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Science does not operate by majority vote. Science operates by making a
hypothesis, then testing it to see if it yields correct or incorrect
predictions about the behavior of the real world.

There was a time when 95% of the world's geologists believed that continents
were fixed in place and did not move.

There was a time when nearly 100% of the world's population, scientists and
otherwise, believed the earth to be flat.

If a position is based upon percentage agreement, it may be politics, it may
be faith, it may be lunacy -- but it is not science.

Absolute, pure, unadulterated .... PITHY!

Well said, Doug!!!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Larry Blanchard January 7th 10 02:42 AM

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 01:02:41 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

There was a time when nearly 100% of the world's population, scientists
and otherwise, believed the earth to be flat.

Well, the Greeks certainly knew the Earth was round - one of them
measured it :-).

You must be speaking of the Middle Ages. There were no scientists then,
the church wouldn't allow it. There were some in Arab countries, but the
only ones I know of were mathematicians. Someone who knows more about
Arab science of those times can chime in here.

Lew Hodgett[_6_] January 7th 10 03:20 AM

Doug Miller wrote:

There was a time when nearly 100% of the world's population,
scientists
and otherwise, believed the earth to be flat.

It would appear the Flat Earth Society still has an active membership.

Lew

Revivul January 7th 10 03:33 AM

OT - Let's Hear it for Global Warming!!

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:20:36 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

There was a time when nearly 100% of the world's population,
scientists
and otherwise, believed the earth to be flat.

It would appear the Flat Earth Society still has an active membership.

FS: one slightly used, but still entirely functional rectilineator.

Accepting offers.

krw[_5_] January 7th 10 04:53 AM

OT - Let's Hear it for Global Warming!!

wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

There was a time when nearly 100% of the world's population,
scientists
and otherwise, believed the earth to be flat.

It would appear the Flat Earth Society still has an active membership.

FS: one slightly used, but still entirely functional rectilineator.

Accepting offers.

I'll trade two epicycles of Mars.

Leon[_6_] January 7th 10 02:49 PM

OT - Let's Hear it for Global Warming!!

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
el...
On 01/06/2010 04:47 PM, RonB wrote:
Al Gore take note.

Kansas gets cold, but sub zero in the southeastern part of the state
is unusual. Occasionally, we might see -1 or -3 and that is fairly
rare (one or two times/year, if at all.) We make up for the really
cold temperatures with wind.

There is a difference between weather and climate.

Anyone mention climate?

Leon[_6_] January 7th 10 02:52 PM

"Nantz" wrote in message
On Jan 6, 6:05 pm, Swingman wrote:

When 95% of the world's climatologists agree on this I have to believe
them. When 95% of the world's politicians agree on something, there's
still room for doubt.
Nantz

Apparently the climatologists are witnessing that they do not have enough
data to form anything close to an accurate conclusion in their life times.

Leon[_6_] January 7th 10 02:54 PM

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Doug Miller wrote:

There was a time when nearly 100% of the world's population, scientists
and otherwise, believed the earth to be flat.

It would appear the Flat Earth Society still has an active membership.

And they are active in the global warming hoax, I bet.

Larry Jaques January 7th 10 03:03 PM

OT - Let's Hear it for Global Warming!!

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 17:26:48 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

[...]

Androgynous alGore Whorosity?

Ackshully, you guys are missing the proper acronym. It's AGWK, or
Anthropomorphic Global Warming, Kumbaya. You must pray afterward and
anthro means man-made. We killed the planet and we're all gonna die!

The only problem is, the water and air in the USA are cleaner now,
with more population, than they were 30 years ago. The USA now has
more forested land than it did a century ago. We have more people but
the farms are more productive. We recycle a whole lot and we have no
shortages of minerals. The idiot alarmists are wrong on absolutely
everything they spout off about.

For more REAL info, see Bailey's _Earth Report 2000_ and Huber's _Hard
Green_. I wish everyone on the planet could read them. Then we could
sit down and talk about how to truly fix our problems. People don't
have to die from the "solutions".

Doug Miller January 7th 10 03:11 PM

In article , Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 01:02:41 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

There was a time when nearly 100% of the world's population, scientists
and otherwise, believed the earth to be flat.

Well, the Greeks certainly knew the Earth was round - one of them
measured it :-).

Aristarchus, I believe it was, and came up with a remarkably accurate
estimate, too, considering the measuring tools he had available to him.

You must be speaking of the Middle Ages.

And you must be restricting your viewpoint to Europe only. :-) Mariners knew
for a long time that the surface of the earth is curved -- what other
explanation can there be for the fact that you can see the masts of a distant
ship long before you can see the hull? Non-sea-faring cultures, though, had no
such reference points -- the earth is "obviously" flat, right?

There were no scientists then,
the church wouldn't allow it.

Actually, the main reason science stagnated in the Middle Ages is that once
the Roman Empire fell, *everything* stagnated.

J. Clarke January 7th 10 03:17 PM

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 01:02:41 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

There was a time when nearly 100% of the world's population,
scientists and otherwise, believed the earth to be flat.

Well, the Greeks certainly knew the Earth was round - one of them
measured it :-).

You must be speaking of the Middle Ages. There were no scientists
then, the church wouldn't allow it. There were some in Arab
countries, but the only ones I know of were mathematicians. Someone
who knows more about Arab science of those times can chime in here.

Actually he's talking about either a time long before the Greeks or one that
was made up in a fantasy written by Washington Irving. Columbus defended
his plans to cross the Atlantic to Torquemada, the guy who ran the Spanish
Inquisition at its peak. If there was even a hint of heresy in it do you
think that Torquemada would have signed off on it?

The notion that the church wouldn't allow science is something that was made
up in the 1800s. Modern historians have discovered that this was not the
case. In fact some of the key ideas of modern science came from medieval
monks.

As for the Arabs, they're the ones who came up with the experimental
method--one thing that held back progress in Europe (others being such
things as barbarian raids and plagues and a climate that was friendly to
book-rot) was that the Greco-Roman heritage placed an emphasis on theory
over experiment. The Arabs figured out the experimental method which led to
them pretty much inventing what came to be known as chemistry, as well as
making discoveries in optics, astronomy, and many other fields.

Doug Miller January 7th 10 03:23 PM

In article , "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

There was a time when nearly 100% of the world's population,
scientists and otherwise, believed the earth to be flat.

It would appear the Flat Earth Society still has an active membership.

:-(

The forums at flatearthsociety.org make entertaining reading -- for a short
time, at least. My tolerance for crazies is rather low, I'm afraid.

Doug Miller January 7th 10 03:41 PM

In article , "Leon" wrote:

"Nantz" wrote in message
On Jan 6, 6:05 pm, Swingman wrote:

When 95% of the world's climatologists agree on this I have to believe
them. When 95% of the world's politicians agree on something, there's
still room for doubt.
Nantz

Apparently the climatologists are witnessing that they do not have enough
data to form anything close to an accurate conclusion in their life times.

And that's really the essence of the matter: thinking of climate in
human-centric, rather than planet-centric, terms. The proponents of AGW make
two UNstated assumptions beyond the obvious, stated one that human activity is
causing the earth to get warmer. Both of these unstated assumptions are
unproven at best, and at least one of them is almost certainly wrong:

First, that conditions as they exist now are normal or typical. A good friend
of mine has an MS in geology; he tells me that during most of the planet's
existence, it's been *much* warmer than it is now, and that we're actually
still *in* the last Ice Age.

Second, that conditions as they exist now are optimal and desirable -- that
any change from currrent conditions *must* be a change for the worse. In fact,
most GW models project an increase mostly in nighttime temperatures (IOW,
higher lows), which among other things will lengthen the growing season in
many parts of the world, and make agriculture possible in places where it is
not now. This strikes me as a Good Thing, not a Bad Thing.

HeyBub[_3_] January 7th 10 04:18 PM

Doug Miller wrote:

And you must be restricting your viewpoint to Europe only. :-)
Mariners knew
for a long time that the surface of the earth is curved -- what other
explanation can there be for the fact that you can see the masts of a
distant
ship long before you can see the hull? Non-sea-faring cultures,
though, had no
such reference points -- the earth is "obviously" flat, right?

The answer to the ship-mast question can easily be answered by positing a
hill (of water) between the ships.

As to the conclusion "what other explanation can there be," ignorance of any
other possibility is not a proof. Sherlock Holmes said: "If you eliminate
all other possibilities, whatever is left must be the answer" is correct as
far as it goes. The fact remains that one cannot eliminate all other
possibilities. There always remain the cases of miracles, hallucination,
lies, mistakes, and a host of others. Absence of evidence is not evidence of
anything.

As for the earth being flat, it is if you're building a house, surveying a
lot, plowing a field, laying out a road, building a railroad (except for the
hills), and so on. Just like Newtonian mechanics are the ultimate truths for
bowling, billiards, or shooting a scrot who breaks into your shed.

HeyBub[_3_] January 7th 10 04:32 PM

Leon wrote:
"Nantz" wrote in message
On Jan 6, 6:05 pm, Swingman wrote:

When 95% of the world's climatologists agree on this I have to believe
them. When 95% of the world's politicians agree on something, there's
still room for doubt.
Nantz

Apparently the climatologists are witnessing that they do not have
enough data to form anything close to an accurate conclusion in their
life times.

Less than 50 years ago, 100% of geologists were convinced of the theory of
"continental drift." In was only in the 1960's that the notion of "Plate
Tectonics" became popular. Now 100% of geologists do NOT accept continental
drift. A hundred years ago, 100% of physicists held that Newtonian mechanics
was the cat's pajamas. Now, 0% of physicists accept Newton as the ultimate
truth-teller.

Be that as it may, there ARE disciplines where majority vote determines
truth (Romance literature, history, etc.). In math and the hard sciences,
truth is empirical. If something cannot be proven, it is not "truth." It is
hypothesis. Or conjecture.

Compare the two observational "sciences:" Climate Change and Astronomy.

By careful measurement, astronomy has (with the help of other branches of
physics and mathematics), worked out the movement of the planets, motions of
the galaxies, wound back the clock to the first milliseconds of the
universe, and projected everything into the unimaginable future.

The Climate Change people's theories can't wind back their equations to get
the climate 100 years ago and they can't predict the weather next month.

The difference between Climate Change theoreticians and Astrologers is not
great.

Leon[_6_] January 7th 10 04:47 PM

OT - Let's Hear it for Global Warming!!

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Leon"
wrote:

"Nantz" wrote in message
[...]

And the term "normal" used my most "weather readers" on the news is a pet
peave of mine. Daily when they are trying to jazz up the news they recite
that the temperature is "x" degrees above or below normal. That is the most
stupid comment I have ever heard said over and over.

First off when talking in terms of climate temperature "normal" is NOT a
constant. It is normal for temperatures to constantly fluxuate from day to
day, year to year, decade to decade.

The term that the "weather readers" are searching for is "Average". The
temp today is/was "x" degrees below/above "average".

When you take data and add it up and divide by the number of pieces of data
you don't get normal, you get an average.

Second, that conditions as they exist now are optimal and desirable --
that
any change from currrent conditions *must* be a change for the worse. In
fact,
most GW models project an increase mostly in nighttime temperatures (IOW,
higher lows), which among other things will lengthen the growing season in
many parts of the world, and make agriculture possible in places where it
is
not now. This strikes me as a Good Thing, not a Bad Thing.

Exactly, who is to say what the actual optimum temperature is. So what if
there is more coastal flooding, so what if the polar bears have to swim to
the south pole to reach their paradise. Living creatures adapt. AAMOF
Polar Bears were actually found in Texas, rounded up and returned to their
northern home as mentioned in a recent Texas magazine publication. Coastal
flooding, that is nothing new, happens every time there is a storm.

Leon[_6_] January 7th 10 04:51 PM

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 17:26:48 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

Snip

[...]

And just to put a different spin on things. This flock of sheep that buy
into the global warming hoax are actually causing the problem themselves by
their actions. When we were poluting something fierce back in in the 50's
60's and 70's we had no global warming. It was not until we started BS
programs to clean up the environment that we caused GW.

Lee Michaels January 7th 10 04:59 PM

OT - Let's Hear it for Global Warming!!

"Leon" wrote

AAMOF Polar Bears were actually found in Texas, rounded up and returned
to their northern home as mentioned in a recent Texas magazine
publication.

You guys had a polar bear invasion?? I never heard of that. They didn't
walk all the way to Texas did they?

Now this is a nature story that my missus would love to hear about. Any
details?

Lee Michaels January 7th 10 05:03 PM

OT - Let's Hear it for Global Warming!!

"Leon" wrote

And just to put a different spin on things. This flock of sheep that buy
into the global warming hoax are actually causing the problem themselves
by their actions. When we were poluting something fierce back in in the
50's 60's and 70's we had no global warming. It was not until we started
BS programs to clean up the environment that we caused GW.

You win the politically incorrect prize for the day. Greenies causing GW??
LOL

Whenever a passionate greenie starts to lecture me on how I am damaging the
planet, I tell them to kill themsilves to reduce the strain on the earth's
ecosystems. That shuts them up pretty quickly.

Larry Blanchard January 7th 10 05:28 PM

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 15:11:42 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

And you must be restricting your viewpoint to Europe only. :-) Mariners
knew for a long time that the surface of the earth is curved -- what
other explanation can there be for the fact that you can see the masts
of a distant ship long before you can see the hull? Non-sea-faring
cultures, though, had no such reference points -- the earth is
"obviously" flat, right?

Actually, I thought of mentioning that. But those mariners seem to have
had a remarkable lack of success convincing the landlubbers of the facts
as they saw them. And I seem to remember reading of a definite fear
among some sailors of falling off the edge of the world. So it wasn't
altogether a landlubber vs mariner thing.

But it's refreshing to discuss history with you rather than politics :-).

J. Clarke January 7th 10 05:29 PM

HeyBub wrote:
Leon wrote:
"Nantz" wrote in message
On Jan 6, 6:05 pm, Swingman wrote:

When 95% of the world's climatologists agree on this I have to
believe them. When 95% of the world's politicians agree on
something, there's still room for doubt.
Nantz

Apparently the climatologists are witnessing that they do not have
enough data to form anything close to an accurate conclusion in their
life times.

Less than 50 years ago, 100% of geologists were convinced of the
theory of "continental drift." In was only in the 1960's that the
notion of "Plate Tectonics" became popular. Now 100% of geologists do
NOT accept continental drift.

Uh, try that one again. "Plate tectonics" _is_ "continental drift".

remainder trimmed

Larry Blanchard January 7th 10 05:32 PM

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:18:13 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

As for the earth being flat, it is if you're building a house, surveying
a lot, plowing a field, laying out a road, building a railroad (except
for the hills), and so on.

I can assure you that surveyors do take into account the curvature or the
Earth because the distance between lines of longitude varies with the
distance from the equator. I did surveying software back in the '70s and
know whereof I speak :-).

Larry Blanchard January 7th 10 05:34 PM

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:17:49 -0500, J. Clarke wrote:

The notion that the church wouldn't allow science is something that was
made up in the 1800s. Modern historians have discovered that this was
not the case. In fact some of the key ideas of modern science came from
medieval monks.

"But it *does* move!" Quote from a somewhat famous heresy trial.