Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Gotta Love It

Found an off the wall TV program that showed various projects built
from discards headed to the dump.

One was the universal "Off", TV remote.

Starting with an old TV remote, stripped out everything but the "Off"
switch then re-programmed the remote to issue a continuous string
"Off" commands for every TV made.

Next, hide the unit in a hat so that you could walk down the street
wearing the hat and push the "Off" button turning off any TV with in
about 50 ft.

Impressive use of technology by someone with a lot of spare time or a
diabolical sense of humor.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Found an off the wall TV program that showed various projects built
from discards headed to the dump.

One was the universal "Off", TV remote.

Starting with an old TV remote, stripped out everything but the "Off"
switch then re-programmed the remote to issue a continuous string
"Off" commands for every TV made.

Next, hide the unit in a hat so that you could walk down the street
wearing the hat and push the "Off" button turning off any TV with in
about 50 ft.

Impressive use of technology by someone with a lot of spare time or a
diabolical sense of humor.

It's been done: http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php

Bought one of these a couple years ago. It's loads of fun.
Posted to rec.woodworking

No one is able to use a cell phone near me in restaurants and other
places where it would be inappropriate.

I would very much like to know how you achieve this.
Would it work between vehicles; could I use it to prevent
the driver of a passing car using his cell phone.(using a cell phone,
whilst
driving, is illegal in the UK)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Limey Lurker wrote:
No one is able to use a cell phone near me in restaurants and other
places where it would be inappropriate.

I would very much like to know how you achieve this.
Would it work between vehicles; could I use it to prevent
the driver of a passing car using his cell phone.(using a cell phone,
whilst driving, is illegal in the UK)

That depends - how loud can you sing?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 17:03:45 -0600, Morris Dovey
wrote:

Limey Lurker wrote:
No one is able to use a cell phone near me in restaurants and other
places where it would be inappropriate.

I would very much like to know how you achieve this.
Would it work between vehicles; could I use it to prevent
the driver of a passing car using his cell phone.(using a cell phone,
whilst driving, is illegal in the UK)

That depends - how loud can you sing?

Or how many years you want to bunk with Bubba.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 26, 4:00*pm, Limey Lurker wrote:
No one is able to use a cell phone near me in restaurants and other
places where it would be inappropriate.

I would very much like to know how you achieve this.
Would it work between vehicles; could I use it to prevent
the driver of a passing car using his cell phone.(using a cell phone,
whilst
driving, is illegal in the UK)

Jammers are available.

In fact, for the States, the UK is our primary source.

But ... think about it: if you think the cell-phone-using driver is
distracted while they're mindlessly chatting away, then just imagine
their reaction when their call suddenly drops.

I think you make a horrid situation worse.

Movies? Restaurants? Elevators? For environments like that, I'd
LOVE to have one ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message
Jammers are available.

In fact, for the States, the UK is our primary source.

But ... think about it: if you think the cell-phone-using driver is
distracted while they're mindlessly chatting away, then just imagine
their reaction when their call suddenly drops.

I think you make a horrid situation worse.

I am thinking the person using the jammer will be as big of a problem as the
cell phone user. On the road he is certainly going to be watching the cell
phone user to see if his jammer is working.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message
On Dec 26, 4:00 pm, Limey Lurker wrote:
No one is able to use a cell phone near me in restaurants and other
places where it would be inappropriate.

I would very much like to know how you achieve this.
Would it work between vehicles; could I use it to prevent
the driver of a passing car using his cell phone.(using a cell phone,
whilst
driving, is illegal in the UK)

Jammers are available.

In fact, for the States, the UK is our primary source.

But ... think about it: if you think the cell-phone-using driver is
distracted while they're mindlessly chatting away, then just imagine
their reaction when their call suddenly drops.

I think you make a horrid situation worse.

Movies? Restaurants? Elevators? For environments like that, I'd
LOVE to have one ;-)

The operation of a jamming device in the US can get you a $20000 fine and
five years in jail. The operation of such a device in the UK can put you in
violation of two laws. One carrying a maximum fine of 5000, the other a
maximum of two years in jail and an unlimited fine. In the US, many things
are available for purchase but are not legal to use. In the UK, devices that
are illegal to use are generally illegal to manufacture or purchase.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Found an off the wall TV program that showed various projects built from
discards headed to the dump.

One was the universal "Off", TV remote.

Starting with an old TV remote, stripped out everything but the "Off"
switch then re-programmed the remote to issue a continuous string "Off"
commands for every TV made.

Next, hide the unit in a hat so that you could walk down the street
wearing the hat and push the "Off" button turning off any TV with in about
50 ft.

Impressive use of technology by someone with a lot of spare time or a
diabolical sense of humor.

Lew

Something does not make sense. A TV remote needs to send an Infra-Red code
to turn the TV off, this will not work through a hat, and the remote needs
to be aimed at the TV for it to receive the IR beam. Secondly most cheap TVs
do not have discrete off codes, it is the same code that turns the TV on --
it works as a toggle -- so if the TV is off it will turn it on, if it is on
it will turn it off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

Something does not make sense. A TV remote needs to send an Infra-Red code
to turn the TV off, this will not work through a hat, and the remote needs
to be aimed at the TV for it to receive the IR beam. Secondly most cheap
TVs do not have discrete off codes, it is the same code that turns the TV
on -- it works as a toggle -- so if the TV is off it will turn it on, if
it is on it will turn it off.

Agreed - and on top of that, the code is unique to brands of TV. One only
needs to look at the user guide for a universal remote to see that.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 00:07:18 -0500, the infamous "EXT"
scrawled the following:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

All of the new DVRs use an RF signal, so this is more plausible than
you think.

--
"I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things
that money can buy." --Tom Clancy
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 00:07:18 -0500, the infamous "EXT"
scrawled the following:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Some do, some don't. At the present time they all accept an IR signal as RF
signals cannot be learned by Universal Remotes. Most better Universal
Remotes can send RF signals to a Black Box next to the equipment which then
in turn forwards an IR signal directly to each piece of equipment's IR
receiver.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/27/2009 11:55 AM, EXT wrote:

[...]

The DirecTV DVR remote is programmable to use either RF or IR to the
DVR. It is also programmable in IR for your TV, DVD, HT audio, etc.
It's a fairly decent universal remote.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:37:39 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
Next, hide the unit in a hat so that you could walk down the street
wearing the hat and push the "Off" button turning off any TV with in
about 50 ft.

I've done the same thing before, but my preferred target is a bar when
the Leaf's are playing and I get to watch everybody freak out. It's
truly amazing to see the fans support such an inept hockey team when
they've given so little back all these past years.