Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta planer 22-540 uneven

My deta planer doesn't plan evenly anymore. I replaced the blades and
they seem to be installed properly but this still didn't stop my
problem. Is there anything else that could be out of adjustment to
cause my problem?

Thanks for your help

Jeff S
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff Stoltzfus" wrote in message
My deta planer doesn't plan evenly anymore. I replaced the blades and
they seem to be installed properly but this still didn't stop my
problem. Is there anything else that could be out of adjustment to
cause my problem?

Thanks for your help

Jeff S

Define unevenly. A surface that is not smooth? Boards are thinner on one
side?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff Stoltzfus" wrote:

Boards are thinner on one side

Your cutter knives are not installed properly.

They are not parallel with planer bed.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Jeff Stoltzfus" wrote:

Boards are thinner on one side

Your cutter knives are not installed properly.

They are not parallel with planer bed.

That would be my assumption and more than likely if the knives are indeed
installed correctly the cutter head assembly has probably become out of
adjustment, One side had worked its way farther down the screw shaft than
the other. BTDT.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff Stoltzfus wrote:
My deta planer doesn't plan evenly anymore. I replaced the blades and
they seem to be installed properly but this still didn't stop my
problem. Is there anything else that could be out of adjustment to
cause my problem?

Thanks for your help

Jeff S

Are you any relation to Joe Stoltzfus?
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

Do you have the lock on? If you have not locked the cutter it will do this.

Len
"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:05:53 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"
scrawled the following:

"Jeff Stoltzfus" wrote:

Boards are thinner on one side

Your cutter knives are not installed properly.

They are not parallel with planer bed.

After the loose one throws the screw, it'll be quite easy to determine
which was the guilty blade.

(Jeff, I highly recommend checking those blade holddown screws before
you touch the planer switch again.)

--
Indifference to evidence: Climate alarmists have become brilliantly
adept at changing their terms to suit their convenience. So it's
Posted to rec.woodworking

You can do some investigation to see if you can locate the problem.

You want to first make a block that can be used to check the blades at
each edge. Assuming this can take more than 3 1/2" of depth here is
how I would do it.

Take a 6" section of 2x4 or any wood with parallel edges about that
size. I guessed at 6", you just want to be sure it does not extend out
to the extension tables so shorter if needed. Chamfer the long edges
on one 2" side leaving about a 1/4" flat. Now place that block at one
edge of the table as if you were going to plane off the 1/4" flat edge
(flat up) and slowly lower the cutter (or raise the table) while
slowly rocking the cutters back and forth just until one knife scrapes
the flat.

Then check each knife to see if the kinives themselves are scraping
the same. Then move to the other edge and leaving it at the same
cutting depth. You should either have a complete free pass or no pass
depending of you did the low or high side first. If it is already the
same, something really wierd is going on.

Do the same per knife check on the second side.

This will help determine if one knife is the prob or if the whole
cutter head to table is out of wack. If it is the whole head then see
if there is any adjustment where the lift screws attach to the head.

Another possibility is an out of wack extension table that is lifing
it up but you will then usually see a wierd type of reverse snipe