Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pressure Washer Recommendation

On Dec 14, 8:26*pm, RonB wrote:
Just a heads-up, and this might have changed during the past few
years:

We bought a Karcher in the general range you describe about 6-7 years
ago. *Very good looking machine and it got good reviews at the time.
HOWEVER, the nozzle adjustment crapped out in about three or four
months and attempts to find a replacement part were fruitless. *A
fellow at Karcher, USA finally told us outright that some replacement
parts for consumer grade washers where back-ordered with no projected
delivery date. *It was purchased at Lowes, and to their credit, they
let us exchange at purchase price for a different machine.

RonB

I bought a Karcher POS from lowes..... It lasted a summer. the next
time, i looked in sears. they had a few machines in the 300$ range,
but qant over 100$ for a 3 year warranty - It looks as if they know
the washers don't last

shelly
Posted to rec.woodworking

The folks that sell pressure washers parts are
quite blunt about consumer grade washers. They
consider them a POS. The pump has a average
life time of "about" 50 hours run time.

The pump being the key part,runs $200-$300.

I have a lovely 5hp Honda setting in my shop
right now that was given to me.

It just needs a gasket was what I was told.
Turns out, they can't be bought for love nor money.

The pump is the only way to fix the damn thing.

wrote:

I bought a Karcher POS from lowes..... It lasted a summer. the next
time, i looked in sears. they had a few machines in the 300$ range,
but qant over 100$ for a 3 year warranty - It looks as if they know
the washers don't last

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 16, 11:05*am, Pat Barber wrote:

I have a lovely 5hp Honda setting in my shop
right now that was given to me.

It just needs a gasket was what I was told.
Turns out, they can't be bought for love nor money.

The pump is the only way to fix the damn thing.

Well, maybe the only factory-supported way... but any
auto parts store can sell you a square foot or so of
gasket material. There's also those Permatex
goo advertisements that it 'works without a gasket'
but I hate those, since replacing a Ford water pump
put in with only the glue. The extra few millimeters for
the (three, in series) gaskets keeps the bolts from
bottoming in the engine block - without the gaskets,
those bolts were bound to break (and the removal of
the full-seam-glued housings was very stressful, too).