Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Space saving furnace making a noise

Our space saving furnace is starting to make a whirring,
tinny noise. Is this going to be as costly as it sounds?

Thanks,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sam" wrote in message
Our space saving furnace is starting to make a whirring,
tinny noise. Is this going to be as costly as it sounds?

Thanks,

More.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sam" wrote in message
Our space saving furnace is starting to make a whirring,
tinny noise. Is this going to be as costly as it sounds?

Thanks,

Not only will it cost a bundle to fix, it won't save as much space in the
future. Get it taken care of soon so the space you've already saved is not
lost.

Posted to rec.woodworking

sam wrote:
Our space saving furnace is starting to make a whirring,
tinny noise. Is this going to be as costly as it sounds?

Thanks,

Did you pull the cover to look at the fan? There may be a chipmunk
running around the squirrel cage.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Pobody's Nerfect!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 01:13:06 -0600, the infamous sam
scrawled the following:

Our space saving furnace is starting to make a whirring,
tinny noise. Is this going to be as costly as it sounds?

If you just recently had a snap freeze (ours was down to 11F), it
could just be frozen up like mine was. Check your drain pipe for ice.
Mine had frozen all the way up into the machine so the combustion
chamber had water in it. Luckily, the drip pan caught most of the
water when it thawed so my kitchen ceiling didn't collapse from it.

Other problems which can make it sound tinny a

1) loose insulation blown into the fan. This can also cause a bad
vibration during operation. Mice can build nests in systems over the
summer, when you're not using them much. Be sure to wear a dust mask
or respirator when cleaning up mouse nests to avoid any Hantavirus.

2) loose impeller screws. The fan can vibrate if it's loose, or hit
the sheetmetal cover/guard which causes a tinny noise.

3) Bad (or just dry) bearings in the fan motor.

Turn the furnace off and unplug it. Pull the inspection covers and
look for crap in the fan. Spin the fan by hand to listen for that
tinny noise. See if the motor shaft wobbles. Inspect the covers
around the fan opening for wear, indicating a loose or bent impeller.
Look for and lube any zerks on the motor and fan assembly.

How old is your system?

Harbor freight has a nifty English wheel if you have to replace a
cover due to insignificant scratches. If you wish to fabricate this
yourself, this could be a nice tool-collecting problem, this whirring
tinny noise, sam. Don't limit yourself to wooddorking tools, expand
your metaldorking array, too. Go for it! Enjoy.

--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

[...]

Hey Larry!

Much appreciated! I'll get to work. The unit is about
15 years old.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sam" wrote in message
Our space saving furnace is starting to make a whirring,
tinny noise. Is this going to be as costly as it sounds?

Thanks,

I don't know. How costly does it sound now? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 01:13:06 -0600, sam wrote:

Our space saving furnace is starting to make a whirring,
tinny noise. Is this going to be as costly as it sounds?

Thanks,

On my furnace the fan on the inductor fan came loose on it's hub
(about a year old). I brazed it up several years ago and it's been
fine since. The dealer I bought it from went broke, and I'd have had
to pay a dealer to come in and fix it, and then HOPE to get some of it
back on Warranty - and the local dealers didn't have the part in stock
- so I just fixed it myself.