Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New latches for old kitchen cabinets

David Nebenzahl wrote:
I'm looking for a good "latching solution" for some old kitchen
cabinet doors. My friends have a house built in the 1920s with
old-style built-in kitchen cabinetry. Over the years the latches on the
doors
have either somehow removed themselves and walked away, or simply
fail to keep the doors shut anymore.

So I'm looking for some good latches. The cabinets have doors set
flush with the face frames, so the latches would either have to
attach to the back of the door and the back of the face frame, or
possibly underneath one of the shelves.

I know those cheap-ass ones with the metal tongue that goes into a
2-pronged metal receiver are no good. I want something that will
really hold the doors securely. So far haven't been able to find
anything locally.
Anyone know of some good hardware in this area? Much appreciated.

There used to be some real heap ones, used a screw with a round (but slotted
head) on the door and a receptacle similar to the ones you mentioned above.
Not elegant but they held very well. Can't say who made them but I'm
guessing Stanley as the cabinets I broke up had Stanley pivot hinges...saved
those and the catches, use both on my shop cabinets.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/27/2009 11:33 AM dadiOH spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I'm looking for a good "latching solution" for some old kitchen
cabinet doors. My friends have a house built in the 1920s with
old-style built-in kitchen cabinetry. Over the years the latches on the
doors
have either somehow removed themselves and walked away, or simply
fail to keep the doors shut anymore.

So I'm looking for some good latches. The cabinets have doors set
flush with the face frames, so the latches would either have to
attach to the back of the door and the back of the face frame, or
possibly underneath one of the shelves.

I know those cheap-ass ones with the metal tongue that goes into a
2-pronged metal receiver are no good. I want something that will
really hold the doors securely. So far haven't been able to find
anything locally.
Anyone know of some good hardware in this area? Much appreciated.

There used to be some real [c]heap ones, used a screw with a round
(but slotted head) on the door and a receptacle similar to the ones
you mentioned above. Not elegant but they held very well. Can't say
who made them but I'm guessing Stanley as the cabinets I broke up had
Stanley pivot hinges...saved those and the catches, use both on my
shop cabinets.

I think I've seen these; did the receivers have two metal prongs that
held the screw between them?

Even so, have no idea where I'd find these.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet