Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drilling Granite counter top

I am planning to install a dispenser for Brandy in our kitchen.
The spigot will be a very typical sink-type spigot from HD or
Lowe's that mounts through the counter top with a 1/2" hole. I
have the normal graduated carbide bit selection as well as a
DeWalt Hammer Drill. However, I've never drilled granite before
and would appreciate any tips.

For instance, when the installers did the sink fixtures, they used
an abrasive diamond hole saw and a sloppy sponge for cooling.
Should I use water to cool the carbide bit? Should I invest in
the abrasive hole saw? Do I risk cracking the counter top if I
use the hammer drill function, or should I go with the drill
function and lots of pressure and patience? Is it necessary to
drill a small pilot if using the carbide bit, or can I "go for the
gold" in one shot?

--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs
out of both sides of a drunken
Congressman's mouth?

The floor is level.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 21:58:58 -0800, "Nonny" wrote:

the abrasive hole saw? Do I risk cracking the counter top if I
use the hammer drill function, or should I go with the drill

Yes, there's a good chance you'll crack the granite

function and lots of pressure and patience? Is it necessary to
drill a small pilot if using the carbide bit, or can I "go for the
gold" in one shot?

Use a diamond abrasive bit and take your time with it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 12:58*am, "Nonny" wrote:
[...]

Diamond core-bore in a grinder. Use one designed to run dry. Use a
guide as there is no pilot drill.
NEVER use carbide or hammer function.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nonny wrote:

I am planning to install a dispenser for Brandy in our kitchen.
The spigot will be a very typical sink-type spigot from HD or
Lowe's that mounts through the counter top with a 1/2" hole. I
have the normal graduated carbide bit selection as well as a
DeWalt Hammer Drill. However, I've never drilled granite before
and would appreciate any tips.

For instance, when the installers did the sink fixtures, they used
an abrasive diamond hole saw and a sloppy sponge for cooling.
Should I use water to cool the carbide bit? Should I invest in
the abrasive hole saw? Do I risk cracking the counter top if I
use the hammer drill function, or should I go with the drill
function and lots of pressure and patience? Is it necessary to
drill a small pilot if using the carbide bit, or can I "go for the
gold" in one shot?

The guide could be something as simple as the same size hole drilled through
a 2x4 and then slip the hole saw in that and start your cut, once your into
the granite you can nix the guide.
Never use the hammer function on granite or tile...
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

Drill only don't hammer-drill.

Use pool or flowing water coolant.

You can take plumbers putty and create a dam around the area - allowing
plenty of water to keep it cool.

Rock is always cut with water - it will fracture and you will not like
the zip run across the sink top!

If you can get a small water pump - think water feature for house - palm size -
and use it to pump into the pool and have an overflow that goes into
the sink or pot.

You want to keep as much dust out of the hole so the dust won't grind
away the drill and waller out the hole.

Martin

Nonny wrote:
I am planning to install a dispenser for Brandy in our kitchen. The
spigot will be a very typical sink-type spigot from HD or Lowe's that
mounts through the counter top with a 1/2" hole. I have the normal
graduated carbide bit selection as well as a DeWalt Hammer Drill.
However, I've never drilled granite before and would appreciate any tips.

For instance, when the installers did the sink fixtures, they used an
abrasive diamond hole saw and a sloppy sponge for cooling. Should I use
water to cool the carbide bit? Should I invest in the abrasive hole
saw? Do I risk cracking the counter top if I use the hammer drill
function, or should I go with the drill function and lots of pressure
and patience? Is it necessary to drill a small pilot if using the
carbide bit, or can I "go for the gold" in one shot?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've done it with one of these:
Use some water for cooling.

-Bruce

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 22:58:58 -0700, Nonny wrote
(in article ):

I am planning to install a dispenser for Brandy in our kitchen.
The spigot will be a very typical sink-type spigot from HD or
Lowe's that mounts through the counter top with a 1/2" hole. I
have the normal graduated carbide bit selection as well as a
DeWalt Hammer Drill. However, I've never drilled granite before
and would appreciate any tips.

For instance, when the installers did the sink fixtures, they used
an abrasive diamond hole saw and a sloppy sponge for cooling.
Should I use water to cool the carbide bit? Should I invest in
the abrasive hole saw? Do I risk cracking the counter top if I
use the hammer drill function, or should I go with the drill
function and lots of pressure and patience? Is it necessary to
drill a small pilot if using the carbide bit, or can I "go for the
gold" in one shot?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nonny wrote:

I am planning to install a dispenser for Brandy in our kitchen. The
spigot will be a very typical sink-type spigot from HD or Lowe's
that mounts through the counter top with a 1/2" hole. I have the
normal graduated carbide bit selection as well as a DeWalt Hammer
Drill. However, I've never drilled granite before and would
appreciate any tips.

For instance, when the installers did the sink fixtures, they used
an abrasive diamond hole saw and a sloppy sponge for cooling.
Should I use water to cool the carbide bit? Should I invest in the
abrasive hole saw? Do I risk cracking the counter top if I use the
hammer drill function, or should I go with the drill function and
lots of pressure and patience? Is it necessary to drill a small
pilot if using the carbide bit, or can I "go for the gold" in one
shot?

You need liberal amounts of water and a diamond abrasive drill

When we do this we create a putty dam about 3 inches high and a foot
diameter and fill it full of water .

The granite will crack if you dont
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks to everyone for the information. My pump arrived this AM,
so I'll make a run to our Harbor Freight store and see what they
have in diamond abrasive bits, as recommended in the URL. I'm
now considering an optional wall-type dispenser that won't require
drilling the granite counter top. I'm particularly concerned
about the location of where I'd mount the spigot, since it's near
a corner and having tile and marble experience, I KNOW that's an
area frought with danger, anyway. My alternative would be a "box"
that would wall mount and the spigot would be on the top, giving
me more height as well.

Again, thanks for reaffirming just how many good people hang out
here and what a broad range of knowledge and advice is present.

--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs
out of both sides of a drunken
Congressman's mouth?

The floor is level.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nonny wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the information. My pump arrived this AM, so
I'll make a run to our Harbor Freight store and see what they have in
diamond abrasive bits, as recommended in the URL. I'm now considering
an optional wall-type dispenser that won't require drilling the granite
counter top. I'm particularly concerned about the location of where I'd
mount the spigot, since it's near a corner and having tile and marble
experience, I KNOW that's an area frought with danger, anyway. My
alternative would be a "box" that would wall mount and the spigot would
be on the top, giving me more height as well.

Again, thanks for reaffirming just how many good people hang out here
and what a broad range of knowledge and advice is present.

I did a kitchen last year where I ended up having to drill holes in the
granite counter top to permanently secure (epoxy did not work)the
"wooden rack/shelf" to the kitchen desk you see in the left foreground
in this pictu

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/3811kit-11.jpg

The diamond bits were expensive but it was not a tough job, although it
was a bit too close to the edge for comfort. We used water, but no more
than a couple of cups, a bit at a time, while drilling the four 1/2"
holes, and the one 1" hole (to allow the client EZ access to the
receptacle under the counter for her laptop).

I did, however, breathe a sigh of relief after it was done ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 19, 11:58*pm, "Nonny" wrote:
[...]

Remember that making this hole will weaken the countertop..

So do you really need to make it?

TMT

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

Remember that making this hole will weaken the countertop..

So do you really need to make it?

Nope- I didn't. I finished today and it works just swell without
drilling the cabinet top. The dispenser is mounted on a cast
electrical box that is screwed to the wall, sitting on the 4"
backsplash, and the pipe goes out the backside, into the wall and
down to the pump. This places the spigot up about 14" above the
counter top, permitting any glass or even a bottle to fit beneath
it: handy if I want to empty the system.

Essentially, I have a 3-gallon water bottle I purchased from a
water store, sitting on the floor of the pantry. A 3/8" tube runs
from it up to a Flojet diaphragm pump. This prevents any
siphoning. The pump has a 35 psi pressure switch and a 1.1 gpm
rate, and can supposedly run dry. It's fed with a 5a, 12vdc
"brick" from an old laptop and fused at 4a., which is the
manufacturer's suggestion. The pump, power supply and fuse holder
all are mounted on a piece of 3/4" particle board and fastened
with a single screw to the back of an adjoining cabinet.

The pump's output goes up the interior of a wall to a cast metal
electrical box with cover: painted to match the wall. The box
sits on the top of the 4" backsplash and is secured to a stud.
The pipe enters from the back and is connected to a press to
dispense faucet like you see for RO systems or filtered water
systems. The faucet is mounted on the top of the box to gain even
more height above the cabinet.

The system was tested and purged with water, of course and passed
with flying colors. The bottle was emptied and refilled with 3
bottles of Brandy as a test and should be in service during Happy
Hour tonight. GriN

--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs
out of both sides of a drunken
Congressman's mouth?

The floor is level.

Counter-tops: What's next after granite? Thomas G. Marshall[_2_] Home Repair 54 September 10th 09 01:15 AM
Granite counter RubenD Home Repair 2 July 27th 08 09:02 PM
Under counter sink not flush in granite counter [email protected] Home Repair 8 May 30th 08 05:28 PM
Granite Counter Top [email protected] Home Repair 0 May 24th 08 08:04 AM
? add second sink to granite counter ? [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 6th 06 04:25 PM