Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Winning Shop Tip - Gloat?

I got a nice e-mail from Woodsmith this afternoon. Seems they thought
their readers might like it if they published a how-to article on my
sawhorses. I thought that was flattering...

The e-mail ended with "Thank you for your interest in Woodsmith
Magazine." and some contact information.

That didn't ring quite true, since I've never been a Woodsmith or
ShopNotes subscriber/reader, and since I haven't ever contacted them.

They're right here in Des Moines, so I picked up the phone and gave 'em
a call. Turns out they received an e-mail "tip" about 1:30 this afternoon.

After a bit of prompting I learned that they expected that the sawhorse
design would become their (exclusive) property. I said that they were
welcome to publish the design without paying me if they acknowledged
where it came from, but that I wasn't willing to give up any rights.

I have no woodworking "presence" anywhere but here on the wreck, and the
stuff I put on my projects pages is there because I enjoy sharing ideas
and stimulating thought - and because I smile every time I see someone
return to a page they've already visited (I really do!)

It's a bit of an ego trip to see that happen from all over the world
(and there are times when I really do need an ego boost).

So, to whoever offered that bit of flattery, I'd like to say Thank you,
that once was enough - and I'd like to ask that it not be repeated.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
I have no woodworking "presence" anywhere but here on the wreck, and the
stuff I put on my projects pages is there because I enjoy sharing ideas
and stimulating thought - and because I smile every time I see someone
return to a page they've already visited (I really do!)

It's a bit of an ego trip to see that happen from all over the world
(and there are times when I really do need an ego boost).

Mo (can I call you, Mo?), I get the same feeling out of my drum tuning
site.
I put the information out on the web because I think it should be free.
I get a kick out of that, and helping people with info that can be
struggling for beginners.

I get emails from all over the world and it really does show you how the
internet has shrunk the earth.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like the sort of thing that happens here in mining employment. When
skilled workers are in short supply, I get unsolicited offers via e-mail,
the post, or sometimes even by phone from firms I have never dealt with, or
sometimes never heard of. They will never say how they got my details, just
that "it was a tip from a friend."
I always tell them that I'm quite happily employed, but as a favour, I do
know some people that might like to talk to them. The first number I give
them is the office of the Anti Corruption Commission. The second is the
Taxation Dept. I did have one idiot that rang back and said he must have
written down the numbers wrongly and could I give them to him again!

I gathered from one of the bottom feeders, whose brain I managed to pick,
that if you are on their books, they will also pay/give rewards for
information you give them on other people.

It happens several times a month when things are really starting to take
off. Very annoying and unwanted.

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
snip

It's a bit of an ego trip to see that happen from all over the world (and
there are times when I really do need an ego boost).

So, to whoever offered that bit of flattery, I'd like to say Thank you,
that once was enough - and I'd like to ask that it not be repeated.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Wasn't me but,

I am sitting here looking at the check from August Home Publishing, the
WoodSmith and ShopNotes parent company.

I sent them a 2 sentence e-mail with a picture attached. The picture showed
a 12" Bessy Revo clamp. The clamp is simply marking a location on my rip
fence front bar. The clamp servers the purpose of indexing the location of
the fence so I can return the fence EXACTLY to the same spot.

It is kinda flattering.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Morris Dovey wrote:

I got a nice e-mail from Woodsmith this afternoon. Seems they thought
their readers might like it if they published a how-to article on my
sawhorses. I thought that was flattering...

They're right here in Des Moines, so I picked up the phone and gave 'em
a call. Turns out they received an e-mail "tip" about 1:30 this afternoon.

So, to whoever offered that bit of flattery, I'd like to say Thank you,
that once was enough - and I'd like to ask that it not be repeated.

I'd wonder if instead the "tip" wasn't auto-generated either manually or
by a mining 'bot rather than an unknown admirer manually sending in your
info...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

I got a nice e-mail from Woodsmith this afternoon. Seems they thought
their readers might like it if they published a how-to article on my
sawhorses. I thought that was flattering...

snip
So, to whoever offered that bit of flattery, I'd like to say Thank you,
that once was enough - and I'd like to ask that it not be repeated.

Happens more than you can imagine. I've had entire websites copied word
for word and running under a different company name in India.

I've also noticed my words on e-woodshop.net website parroted elsewhere,
word for word ... which is not a big deal considering the content.

On another website, I wrote the following copyrighted "History" in 1996,
which is still being used to this day:

http://www.andersonfair.com/HssAF_2.htm

A year or so ago I saw it printed, word for word, and with NO credits,
in a local magazine!

When I called to thank them for being so nice as to use my intellectual
property without my permission, the twenty something "editor" admitted
taking it from the link below and stated that since there were no
credits there, "she didn't consider it a big deal":

http://www.visithoustontexas.com/vis...s.php?id=29120

These folks never got my permission either, although they do link back
to the home page of the original site ... go figure.

Still, thought it is just words it would be niced to be credited, but
damn there is little ethical behavior these day!

You were fortunate that you were able to put a stop to it. Clearly
copyright notices mean little.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
When I called to thank them for being so nice as to use my intellectual
property without my permission, the twenty something "editor" admitted
taking it from the link below and stated that since there were no
credits there, "she didn't consider it a big deal":

I was bored and checking out the stats on my youtube account.

One of the "embedded to" links was woodcraft.com.
I looked and looked and couldn't find where they used it.

Not the same I know, because I allow embedding, but it would be nice to
know.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

You were fortunate that you were able to put a stop to it. Clearly
copyright notices mean little.

I don't think there was any dishonesty involved in this case, since
August Home contacted /me/. More likely someone intended a favor,
without understanding that I would have to take down the web page.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 13, 6:24*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
Swingman wrote:
You were fortunate that you were able to put a stop to it. Clearly
copyright notices mean little.

I don't think there was any dishonesty involved in this case, since
August Home contacted /me/. More likely someone intended a favor,
without understanding that I would have to take down the web page.

Will the party responsible for sending Woodsmith the tip about Morris'
sawhorses sign below:
1).
2).
3).
4).
5).
6).
7).
8). RicodJour (JK - at least I didn't put my moniker first!)

Morris will be extending his personal thanks on a first come, first
serve basis.
Thank you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 13, 4:53*pm, Swingman wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote:

[...]

I think I see the problem. You put an @ instead of the little C in a
circle!
It should be KarlC©

Copyright notices, like patents, have to be defended. Not everyone is
scared off by a little symbol.

If it still stokes you, work up a cease and desist letter, with a lot
of legal terminology and threatening "vigorous pursuit of damages and
punitive awards" and include a bogus law firm in the CC: section at
the end. For example:
W. Lloyd Hastings, IV, Esq.
or
J. Abraham Saperstein, Goldstein & Goldstein, Inc.

If all you're asking for is an attribution and a link to your original
work, a single letter should suffice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:

Copyright notices, like patents, have to be defended. Not everyone is
scared off by a little symbol.

Last time I looked "trademark" laws have to be defended or they are
weakened or lost. "Patents" and "copyrights" do not need to be "defended"?

That said, you are indeed correct in that you derive no benefit unless
you enforce your rights.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 13, 6:24 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:

I don't think there was any dishonesty involved in this case, since
August Home contacted /me/. More likely someone intended a favor,
without understanding that I would have to take down the web page.

8). RicodJour (JK - at least I didn't put my moniker first!)

Morris will be extending his personal thanks on a first come, first
serve basis.

No grief. I took it as a compliment (Thank you) and I'd have been
pleased if they'd felt they could publish without having to buy it.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour said:

On Nov 13, 4:53*pm, Swingman wrote:
On another website, I wrote the following copyrighted "History" in 1996,
which is still being used to this day:

http://www.andersonfair.com/HssAF_2.htm

A year or so ago I saw it printed, word for word, and with NO credits,
in a local magazine!

When I called to thank them for being so nice as to use my intellectual
property without my permission, the twenty something "editor" admitted
taking it from the link below and stated that since there were no
credits there, "she didn't consider it a big deal":

I think I see the problem. You put an @ instead of the little C in a
circle!
It should be KarlC©

May I be the first to point you towards an OT thread earlier this week
concerning new spectacles. ;-)

The Anderson Fair page is marked: K*** ** C********* ©1996
(Name remove to protect the identity from Usenet.)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman said:

RicodJour wrote:

Copyright notices, like patents, have to be defended. Not everyone is
scared off by a little symbol.

Last time I looked "trademark" laws have to be defended or they are
weakened or lost. "Patents" and "copyrights" do not need to be "defended"?

That said, you are indeed correct in that you derive no benefit unless
you enforce your rights.

It is unfortunate, however, that it will cost $400+ an hour to do so.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 13, 8:35*pm, Greg wrote:
RicodJour said:

I think I see the problem. *You put an @ instead of the little C in a
circle!
It should be KarlC© *

May I be the first to point you towards an OT thread earlier this week
concerning new spectacles. * ;-)

The Anderson Fair page is marked: *K*** ** C********* ©1996
(Name remove to protect the identity from Usenet.)

I was referring to Swing's sig, hence the smiley.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour said:

On Nov 13, 8:35*pm, Greg wrote:
RicodJour said:

I think I see the problem. *You put an @ instead of the little C in a
circle!
It should be KarlC© *

May I be the first to point you towards an OT thread earlier this week
concerning new spectacles. * ;-)

The Anderson Fair page is marked: *K*** ** C********* ©1996
(Name remove to protect the identity from Usenet.)

I was referring to Swing's sig, hence the smiley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

;-)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Happens more than you can imagine. I've had entire websites copied word
for word and running under a different company name in India.

I've also noticed my words on e-woodshop.net website parroted elsewhere,
word for word ... which is not a big deal considering the content.

I used to write for the specialty coffee industry. My stuff (and the
magazines) was stolen all the time. I went into a new coffee shop to review
it and I found several articles blown up and posted on the wall poster
sized. I went over to read them and discovered they were my articles! He
took my name off and put his name on them.

I asked if he knew who wrote the articles. He said he did. I told him I did
and I was upset and was going to contact themagazines and let them know.
Nobody would have cared he he attributed to the proper source.

But he got angry and called the cops on me. They were right down the street
and were there right away. I explained to them the situation and they said
there was nothing they could do, but I had to leave because "I was causing a
disturbance".

I contacted the magazine and they called their lawyer. A week later, all the
plagarized material disappeared from their walls. Good thing too. I was
upset enough to picket the place. Imagine, calling the cops on the victim
of intellectual theft. Many folks are natural born thieves and see nothing
wrong with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Swingman wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote:

[...]

That conversation should proceed: "Would you please get your legal counsel
on the line?"

*EVIL* grin

http://www.visithoustontexas.com/vis...s.php?id=29120

These folks never got my permission either, although they do link back
to the home page of the original site ... go figure.

Send a DMCA takedown notice to the ISP hosting the site, with a copy to
the site contact. They _are_ effective. Especially when you can send a
link to the original (*with* copyright notice), "for their edification".