Jakes452

Default small raised panel?

I want to make a small jewely like box with raised panels.

Is there a small bit for that. I have a large one but its too big.

thanks for any input

Pounds on Wood

They do make small sets, but I would probably think about using a box core
bit and milling the panels vertically.

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop

"Jakes452" wrote in message
I want to make a small jewely like box with raised panels.

Is there a small bit for that. I have a large one but its too big.

thanks for any input

Nova

Jakes452 wrote:

I want to make a small jewely like box with raised panels.

Is there a small bit for that. I have a large one but its too big.

thanks for any input

A number of different places sell them. Try Woodcraft at:

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/...87C543E6572D99

or do a search for "miniature rail and stile".

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Chris Melanson

Off the topic of the panels Bill. I took a look at your web site looks like
you have done some nice work!
One thing I did notice though is that you are using PVC pipe for you
dust collection. I did not notice any grounding cable on it though.Without
this static electricity builds up and could lead to an arch big enough to
ignite the dust flowing through the pipe causing a small explosion and or
fire at the least. I do not know if you knew this but though I might shed a
little light on the subject for you .
PVC is a good material for a dust system if used properly. Static build
up is the main drawback of PVC though.
Thanks :
Chris

"Jakes452" wrote in message
I want to make a small jewely like box with raised panels.

Is there a small bit for that. I have a large one but its too big.

thanks for any input

Greg O

"Chris Melanson" wrote in message
One thing I did notice though is that you are using PVC pipe for you

dust collection. I did not notice any grounding cable on it though.Without
this static electricity builds up and could lead to an arch big enough to
ignite the dust flowing through the pipe causing a small explosion and or
fire at the least.

Hang on folks! Here we go again!!
Greg

Bay Area Dave

not sure if it's small enough, but CMT makes several sizes. you can
find them online under Sommerfeld and Woodpeckers. Their smallest set
will work for stuff like wall clocks.

dave

Jakes452 wrote:

I want to make a small jewely like box with raised panels.

Is there a small bit for that. I have a large one but its too big.

thanks for any input

Charlie Self

Jakes452 notes:

great input...thankyou....it exists!

Yes, it does. Marc Sommerfield designed it for CMT. Anyplace selling CMT bits
and blades will have it or be able to roder it.

Charlie Self
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Lawrence Wasserman

In article wta4c.148847$A12.121514@edtnps84,
Chris Melanson wrote:
...snipped...
One thing I did notice though is that you are using PVC pipe for you
dust collection. I did not notice any grounding cable on it though.Without
this static electricity builds up and could lead to an arch big enough to
ignite the dust flowing through the pipe causing a small explosion and or
fire at the least. I do not know if you knew this but though I might shed a
little light on the subject for you .
PVC is a good material for a dust system if used properly. Static build
up is the main drawback of PVC though.
Thanks :
Chris

...snipped...

Man, you've really done it now!

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Stephen M

I'll save everyone the trouble.... here's the link debunking the while PVC
static explosion myth

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rodec/.../DC_myths.html

One thing I did notice though is that you are using PVC pipe for you
dust collection. I did not notice any grounding cable on it though.Without
this static electricity builds up and could lead to an arch big enough to
ignite the dust flowing through the pipe causing a small explosion and or
fire at the least. I do not know if you knew this but though I might shed

little light on the subject for you .
PVC is a good material for a dust system if used properly. Static

build
up is the main drawback of PVC though.
Thanks :
Chris

Paul Kierstead

"Chris Melanson" wrote:

dust collection. I did not notice any grounding cable on it though.Without
this static electricity builds up and could lead to an arch big enough to
ignite the dust flowing through the pipe causing a small explosion and or
fire at the least. I do not know if you knew this but though I might shed a
little light on the subject for you .

My coffee grinder builds up a lot of static as the coffee grounds are
fired into the grinds holder. Your post caused me considerable worry; is
it in danger of exploding?
Morris Dovey

Stephen M wrote:

I'll save everyone the trouble.... here's the link debunking the while PVC
static explosion myth

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rodec/.../DC_myths.html

Interesting article. Thanks!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Pounds on Wood

Actually, the wire is there you just cannot see it. I used unobtainium
instead of copper because the impedance is so much lower, donchano.

Thanks for your support.
--
Bill Pounds
http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop

"Chris Melanson" wrote in message
Off the topic of the panels Bill. I took a look at your web site looks

like
you have done some nice work!
One thing I did notice though is that you are using PVC pipe for you
dust collection. I did not notice any grounding cable on it though.Without
this static electricity builds up and could lead to an arch big enough to
ignite the dust flowing through the pipe causing a small explosion and or
fire at the least. I do not know if you knew this but though I might shed

little light on the subject for you .
PVC is a good material for a dust system if used properly. Static

build
up is the main drawback of PVC though.
Thanks :
Chris

Larry West

"Jakes452" wrote in message news:z4a4c.16654$m4.13600@okepread03...
I want to make a small jewely like box with raised panels.

Is there a small bit for that. I have a large one but its too big.

thanks for any input

I recently ordered the Ogee Junior Raised Panel Set (800.522.11) for
$149.90 from Sommerfeld's Tools for Wood. Haven't used it yet, but I
like the quality of CMT bits.

There's a review/tutorial of this bit set at:
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/cmt-jr1.htm

There's an excellent 12-page article by George Vondriska in the April
2001 issue of American Woodworker magazine.

HTH
Larry