Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Milk Paint Help / Advice

First time using milk paint. I am happy that I did get the "old look" I was
hoping for. But the whole process seemed messy. So I am wondering what I
might have done wrong.

This morning I painted my shelves for the bookcases I am making. I am using
the powder from http://www.milkpaint.com/.

I mixed it according to the directions 1 - 1/2 cups water to 1 - 1/2 cups
powder and it seemed like pudding, I also had lots of lumps. I added more
water to get rid of the lumps. But the paint still seemed a bit "thick". I
was afraid to add to much more water because I was afraid it would not
cover.

I also used a foam brush (per the instructions in the package) and it was
messy and the brushes fell apart. So I switched to a bristle brush and it
looked terrible. So back to foam.

Going forward, is there a better way to apply than with a foam brush?
Is the paint supposed to be that thick or did I mess up there.

Thanks

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry C" wrote in message
[...]

I have only used General Finishes milk paint, it is sorta thick compared to
varnish but not so much compared to an oil based paint. I used a good
quality bristle brush and got good results.
Milk paint is going to look different when compared to modern day latex and
or oil based paints. Additionally many milk paints can be wiped off for a
stained look so they are going to go on a lot like a stain to begin with.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Larry C" wrote in message
[...]

I used milk paint from JE Moser and my experience couldn't have been more
different. It was very thin, the consistency of water. I used a bristle
brush and it went on very smoothly. I lightly touched it with sandpaper
after it dried andd put on a second coat. It looked great. lumps, the
instructions stated to mix it and let it sit, then remix.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 6, 3:08*pm, "Joe" wrote:
"Larry C" wrote in message

[...]

instructions stated to mix it and let it sit, then remix.- Hide quoted text -

Whenever I have to mix powder with liquid I put in just enough liquid
to make a thin paste to begin - that way you aren't chasing lumps
around. Once it's smooth I add the rest of the liquid to thin it
out. I actually learned this by eating sushi (the wrong way I've been
told). I like to mix my wasabi in with the soy sauce to make a
dipping sauce. Too much soy and the wasabi just floats in little
lumps, running away from your chopsticks. Put just a little soy in
and you're fine. This is how I mix up powdered urea formaldehyde
glues. Works great.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah the powder always seems to mix up too thick. I didn't remember
using a foam brush when aI used it. I mixed it by look, using as much
water as I wanted. I then strained it through a rough sieve. If I
recall, I mixed it pretty thin but letting it sit for a while it
thickened up. You can always put multiple coats. I know I did for
sure. I was then burnishing it and shellaching over the top for
specific look but I had 100% opaque color.

On Nov 6, 11:21*am, "Larry C"
wrote:
[...]

A little Milk Paint help please A Lurker Woodworking 6 September 2nd 08 04:24 PM
milk paint Walter Johnson[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 October 22nd 07 11:08 PM
mixing milk paint with latex? autopi Woodworking 1 November 19th 05 03:34 PM
Limewash and milk paint David UK diy 17 February 23rd 05 01:41 AM
Limewash and milk paint david Woodworking 7 February 6th 05 02:35 PM