Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ok, I want one!

An affordable Bridge City Tool.

The KerfMaker.

If you have most of a day to burn you can probably make one yourself. I may
pay the $72.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6_S6lZKLI

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

An affordable Bridge City Tool.

The KerfMaker.

If you have most of a day to burn you can probably make one
yourself. I may pay the $72.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6_S6lZKLI

Looks like a winner to me.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
An affordable Bridge City Tool.

The KerfMaker.

If you have most of a day to burn you can probably make one yourself. I
may pay the $72.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6_S6lZKLI

As someone who has made a thousand or so lap joints in my time, I could
have saved a huge amount of time with a tool like this. I have rigged up
numerous jigs. But nothing this fancy, small or accurate.

Bridge City Tool Works just be congratulated on coming out with a new tool
for less than a $100.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 3, 9:04*pm, "Leon" wrote:
An affordable Bridge City Tool.

The KerfMaker.

If you have most of a day to burn you can probably make one yourself. *I may
pay the $72.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6_S6lZKLI

Nice find, Leon. Looks like it works great.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

I may try and build one...

By the time you pay quantity one pricing for a display and the
matching electronics, you could probably by a half dozen of the
finished device.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 3, 9:38*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Dave Balderstone" wrote:
I may try and build one...

By the time you pay quantity one pricing for a display and the
matching electronics, you could probably by a half dozen of the
finished device.

Lew

Dave,

If you are interested there are several versions of the Kerf Maker,
Kerf Master etc shown on Lumberjocks.com. Go to it and do a search
for kerf and I am sure you will find one that you can make. I have a
version posted there.

Regards,

Al
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote:
I may try and build one...

By the time you pay quantity one pricing for a display and the
matching electronics, you could probably by a half dozen of the
finished device.

Lew

Dave,

If you are interested there are several versions of the Kerf Maker,
Kerf Master etc shown on Lumberjocks.com. Go to it and do a search
for kerf and I am sure you will find one that you can make. I have a
version posted there.

Regards,

Al

Very neat. The price is right too!

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:031120092149135465%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Leon
wrote:

An affordable Bridge City Tool.

The KerfMaker.

If you have most of a day to burn you can probably make one yourself. I
may
pay the $72.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6_S6lZKLI

Pretty damn cool.

I may try and build one...

I was thinking that, I actually down loaded a Sketchup drawing of a
"similar" one. The problem with that one is that it is pretty much a 2
piece vs, 3 piece design. To set the kerf you adjust the length of a scew
that is protruding out one end of the jig. The BridgeCity tool jig uses a
3rd more easily to quickly adjust piece that will allow quick kerf
adjustments if you want to use the jig for more than one tool. I can post
the Sketchup drawing if some one wants to see it. It is simular but not
exactly the same mechanically.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
An affordable Bridge City Tool.

The KerfMaker.

If you have most of a day to burn you can probably make one yourself. I
may pay the $72.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6_S6lZKLI

My thoughts are that I would probably want to clean the joints out with my
stacked dado set. Make the left and right side cuts with the regular TS
blade and then clean out the joint with the dado set. For me this would
make cleaner cuts and speed hogging out the waste between the cuts if there
were a bunch to make.

The problem is that the dado set would then have to be set up to match the
depth of the previously made side cuts. This was done once, doing it again
would be a PIA.

Solution. Because the Kerfmaker will adjust to a kerf up to 1/2" simply
start with a 1/2" stacked dado set configuration for 1/2" and wider joints.
Obviousely a narrower stack would be indicated for joints down to 1/4" wide.
For Joints less than 1/4" wide your regular saw blade is going to fill the
bill.
Basically with the proper set up you should not have to make more than 2
passes to make any joint 1/8"- 1" wide.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Al Holstein" wrote in message

Dave,

If you are interested there are several versions of the Kerf Maker,
Kerf Master etc shown on Lumberjocks.com. Go to it and do a search
for kerf and I am sure you will find one that you can make. I have a
version posted there.

Regards,

Al

So Al, do you use your jig? Basically whether you were using yours ot the
BridgeCity jig, do you find that you use it often? any Gotcha's to watch
out for during actual use of the jig?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 20:04:19 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

An affordable Bridge City Tool.

The KerfMaker.

If you have most of a day to burn you can probably make one yourself. I may
pay the $72.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6_S6lZKLI

Sweet tool! Me want one, too. (Damn, can't add it to Amazone wishlist
'cuz they don't sell it yet.)

That makes Shoji screen work MUCH faster and easier. (Did you see that
they misspelled it as "Soji"? Oops!)

--
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Sweet tool! Me want one, too. (Damn, can't add it to Amazone wishlist
'cuz they don't sell it yet.)

That makes Shoji screen work MUCH faster and easier. (Did you see that
they misspelled it as "Soji"? Oops!)

Probably using the same spell checker/word rearanger that I do. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 1:30 am, Al Holstein wrote:

If you are interested there are several versions of the Kerf Maker,
Kerf Master etc shown on Lumberjocks.com. Go to it and do a search
for kerf and I am sure you will find one that you can make. I have a
version posted there.

Hey Al - nice job on simplifying the design and construction.
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/20819

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

Electronics?

DUH!

Saw digital readout on caliper and thought it was part of device.

Mumble...............mumble.........

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 5:13*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Al Holstein" wrote in message

Dave,

If you are interested there are several versions of the Kerf Maker,
Kerf Master etc shown on Lumberjocks.com. *Go to it and do a search
for kerf and I am sure you will find one that you can make. *I have a
version posted there.

Regards,

Al

So Al, do you use your jig? *Basically whether you were using yours ot the
BridgeCity jig, do you find that you use it often? *any Gotcha's to watch
out for during actual use of the jig?

Dave,

I haven't used it much yet, but the only Gotcha that I am aware of is
to make certain the I have the sliding piece pushed firmly against the
piece that I am measuring, so I don't cut it too big.

Regards,

Al

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
An affordable Bridge City Tool.

The KerfMaker.

If you have most of a day to burn you can probably make one yourself. I
may pay the $72.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6_S6lZKLI

I posted my interpitation of the jig on a.b.p.w. in PDF and Sketchup. Dado
Jig.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I posted my interpitation of the jig on a.b.p.w. in PDF and Sketchup. Dado
Jig.

I'd really like to see your interpretation - may I beg e-mailed copies
or a web URL where I could download them?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

I posted my interpitation of the jig on a.b.p.w. in PDF and Sketchup.
Dado Jig.

I'd really like to see your interpretation - may I beg e-mailed copies or
a web URL where I could download them?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

You got mail! I sent both. I did not draw the clamping nuts or the threads
on the screws however I think you can figure that out.
Dimensions are pretty critical in some areas, I did not put them in but if
you have Sketchup you can easily add them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I posted my interpitation of the jig on a.b.p.w. in PDF and Sketchup.
Dado Jig.

I'd really like to see your interpretation - may I beg e-mailed copies or
a web URL where I could download them?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Did I send to the right address?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Did I send to the right address?

You certainly did!

You do nice work (and fast)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
Leon wrote:

Did I send to the right address?

You certainly did!

You do nice work (and fast)

Oops (I forgot the most important part):

Thank you!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:28:28 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Sweet tool! Me want one, too. (Damn, can't add it to Amazone wishlist
'cuz they don't sell it yet.)

That makes Shoji screen work MUCH faster and easier. (Did you see that
they misspelled it as "Soji"? Oops!)

Probably using the same spell checker/word rearanger that I do. ;~)

I dunno. They only used one version of the word in the article. You
sometimes use 3 different spellings of the same word in a 4 sentence
paragraph, dude. Ach du meine gute!

I've been wondering if you start the typing while you're sober and
finish it after the second sixpack, knowwhatImean,Vern? g

--
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
Leon wrote:

Did I send to the right address?

You certainly did!

You do nice work (and fast)

OK,,,, you do know I did not build it. '~)

Oops (I forgot the most important part):

Thank you!

Your welcome!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
I've been wondering if you start the typing while you're sober and
finish it after the second sixpack, knowwhatImean,Vern? g

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...500_AA240_.jpg

I miss that guy! :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...500_AA240_.jpg

I miss that guy! :-)

Was trained as a Shakespearian actor.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

It does look like a nifty tool. In the meantime, though, just rip an edge
off an arbitray thickness board. Without moving the fence, place a
piece of stock of the thickness you will be working with against the
fence, then rip the 1st board again, holding the stock against the
fence so that the piece being ripped rides against it. The strip of wood
thus created on the waste side of the blade is now ready to be used
as a gauge for cutting the second outer kerf of your slot.

And, it doesn't have to be calibrated before using!