Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bewildered

SWMBO had a large mirror with a metal frame that she didn't like. A few days
ago, she asked me to make her a new wooden frame.

Requirement was for something that looked as though it was made 150 years
ago by somebody living in a bush shanty, who had only an axe and a chisel
and no woodworking skills.
This was the result:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32473839@N02

SWMBO was delighted with the it, (complete with bent rusty nails.) Oldest
daughter saw it and now wants one too ....... amazing ...... I have a shed
full of woodworking tools and machinery, yet this is what they want. : )

Bewildered in Oz

Posted to rec.woodworking

diggerop wrote:
SWMBO had a large mirror with a metal frame that she didn't like. A few
days ago, she asked me to make her a new wooden frame.

Requirement was for something that looked as though it was made 150
years ago by somebody living in a bush shanty, who had only an axe and a
chisel and no woodworking skills.
This was the result:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32473839@N02

SWMBO was delighted with the it, (complete with bent rusty nails.)
Oldest daughter saw it and now wants one too ....... amazing ...... I
have a shed full of woodworking tools and machinery, yet this is what
they want. : )

Bewildered in Oz

Now WHOA there pardner! You're not coming in here expecting some kind of answer for this
"bewildered" condition you're describing, are you?

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
diggerop wrote:
SWMBO had a large mirror with a metal frame that she didn't like. A few
days ago, she asked me to make her a new wooden frame.

Requirement was for something that looked as though it was made 150 years
ago by somebody living in a bush shanty, who had only an axe and a chisel
and no woodworking skills.
This was the result:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32473839@N02

SWMBO was delighted with the it, (complete with bent rusty nails.) Oldest
daughter saw it and now wants one too ....... amazing ...... I have a
shed full of woodworking tools and machinery, yet this is what they want.
: )

Bewildered in Oz

Now WHOA there pardner! You're not coming in here expecting some kind of
answer for this "bewildered" condition you're describing, are you?

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Heh. I was hoping there was a "Woman Whisperer" in the group who could
explain the strange behaviour of these woman critturs.

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

diggerop wrote:
SWMBO was delighted with the it, (complete with bent rusty nails.)
Oldest daughter saw it and now wants one too ....... amazing ...... I
have a shed full of woodworking tools and machinery, yet this is what
they want. : )

Bewildered in Oz

Now WHOA there pardner! You're not coming in here expecting some kind
of answer for this "bewildered" condition you're describing, are you?

Heh. I was hoping there was a "Woman Whisperer" in the group who could
explain the strange behaviour of these woman critturs.

diggerop

Shhyeeah. Like one of *those* exists! :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:08:13 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner
scrawled the following:

diggerop wrote:
SWMBO was delighted with the it, (complete with bent rusty nails.)
Oldest daughter saw it and now wants one too ....... amazing ...... I
have a shed full of woodworking tools and machinery, yet this is what
they want. : )

Bewildered in Oz

Now WHOA there pardner! You're not coming in here expecting some kind
of answer for this "bewildered" condition you're describing, are you?

Heh. I was hoping there was a "Woman Whisperer" in the group who could
explain the strange behaviour of these woman critturs.

diggerop

Shhyeeah. Like one of *those* exists! :-)

I usually get slapped for the things I whisper to women. shrug

--
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."

Posted to rec.woodworking

"diggerop" toobusy@themoment wrote in message
. au...
SWMBO had a large mirror with a metal frame that she didn't like. A few
days ago, she asked me to make her a new wooden frame.

Requirement was for something that looked as though it was made 150 years
ago by somebody living in a bush shanty, who had only an axe and a chisel
and no woodworking skills.
This was the result:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32473839@N02

SWMBO was delighted with the it, (complete with bent rusty nails.) Oldest
daughter saw it and now wants one too ....... amazing ...... I have a shed
full of woodworking tools and machinery, yet this is what they want. : )

Bewildered in Oz

I stared and stared... Is it cherry? Maybe I'm not looking at it at the
right angle?
To your credit, you were successful in meeting the requirements
specification--and
the mirror is still in one piece too! : )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

I have no idea what the wood is. It was transit protection for a
telecommunications cable drum.
It's predominantly sapwood, *very* light, splits easily, quite soft.

The fragile appearance is an illusion, the frame is a lot more robust than
it appears, - triangular 3 ply backing gussets on the joints, screwed and
glued. I cheated on the rebate for the mirror, - used a router.

It was an interesting experience taking care to make something deliberately
rough. More work involved in that than doing it properly.

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

My dad once made a table for my mom, but had a hard time getting a
finish on it he liked. He was halfway through stripping yet another
attempt off when my mom saw it and said "That's PERFECT! Just like
that!"
Posted to rec.woodworking

"diggerop" toobusy@themoment wrote in message
. au...
SWMBO had a large mirror with a metal frame that she didn't like. A few
days ago, she asked me to make her a new wooden frame.

Requirement was for something that looked as though it was made 150 years
ago by somebody living in a bush shanty, who had only an axe and a chisel
and no woodworking skills.
This was the result:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32473839@N02

SWMBO was delighted with the it, (complete with bent rusty nails.) Oldest
daughter saw it and now wants one too ....... amazing ...... I have a shed
full of woodworking tools and machinery, yet this is what they want. : )

Bewildered in Oz

Red Green would be proud of you.

Where is the duct tape and baling wire?

LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you have even a very inexpensive wet saw, you can make a very
creative mirror "frame" using marble or slate. In our mountain
cabin, we had an entry that really needed a nice mirror. At Home
Depot, I purchased a 24 X 36" plate glass mirror (no bevel) and
glued it to the wall of the entry way, using 8d nails into the
drywall beneath the mirror to support it until the glue dried.

The following day, I bought and ripped some slate floor tile that
matched the colors of a fireplace in an adjoining room. I ripped
the 12" slate tiles into 1", 2" and 3" pieces and then began
surrounding the mirror with them, cut to random lengths. I began
with the 1" surrounding the mirror, using Liquid Nails as the
adhesive and straight pins to hold the slate pieces onto the
drywall until the Liquid Nails set. Making sure no seams were the
same, I then moved to the 2" pieces using the same technique,
followed by the 3" ones. That gave me a 6" surround, which looked
just fine.

No attempt was made to grout any gaps and the slightly rustic look
of the irregular seams was perfect for what I wanted to do.

--
Nonny

Have you ever wondered if the bills
in your wallet were ever in a stripper's butt crack?
Have a nice day ..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:25:07 +0800, the infamous "diggerop"
toobusy@themoment scrawled the following:

SWMBO had a large mirror with a metal frame that she didn't like. A few days
ago, she asked me to make her a new wooden frame.

Requirement was for something that looked as though it was made 150 years
ago by somebody living in a bush shanty, who had only an axe and a chisel
and no woodworking skills.
This was the result:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32473839@N02

SWMBO was delighted with the it, (complete with bent rusty nails.) Oldest
daughter saw it and now wants one too ....... amazing ...... I have a shed
full of woodworking tools and machinery, yet this is what they want. : )

Bewildered in Oz

I think that's the "It looks like I built it myself!" crew who likes
those rrrrustic styles. shiver

--
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

diggerop wrote:

Bewildered in Oz

Can't help you with the wimmin part, but that would sell by the hundreds
at craft fairs here in Texas.

There's riches in niches, and money where you least expect it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08