Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Forstner's Bit

I need a Forstner's bit that is 2 3/16th. The typical on-line vendors
offer a 2 1/8th and 2 1/4 size. Anyone know if this size is made?
This is for a production job - need to make 100's of these - so this
is getting bit frustrating.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Warbler wrote:
I need a Forstner's bit that is 2 3/16th. The typical on-line vendors
offer a 2 1/8th and 2 1/4 size. Anyone know if this size is made?
This is for a production job - need to make 100's of these - so this
is getting bit frustrating.

I won't say _somebody_ won't make one, but I've never seen ~1.5" in
anything other than eighths. May have to have that made special if has
to be Forstner and has to be precise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Warbler" wrote in message
I need a Forstner's bit that is 2 3/16th. The typical on-line vendors
offer a 2 1/8th and 2 1/4 size. Anyone know if this size is made?
This is for a production job - need to make 100's of these - so this
is getting bit frustrating.

http://yourhome.shoptoit.ca/shop/pro...d_2345192.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Maybe there is a metric size that approximates this dimension. Didn't
take the trouble to check this out.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

No man is an island, but then no man
is a potato salad, either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:15:13 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Warbler" wrote in message
I need a Forstner's bit that is 2 3/16th. The typical on-line vendors
offer a 2 1/8th and 2 1/4 size. Anyone know if this size is made?
This is for a production job - need to make 100's of these - so this
is getting bit frustrating.

http://yourhome.shoptoit.ca/shop/pro...d_2345192.html

Or

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240

These are high speed steel and should in theory stay sharp longer.
Twice the price, but if you are doing hundreds, it may be worth it.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Warbler wrote:
I need a Forstner's bit that is 2 3/16th. The typical on-line vendors
offer a 2 1/8th and 2 1/4 size. Anyone know if this size is made?
This is for a production job - need to make 100's of these - so this
is getting bit frustrating.

2 1/4" bit plus metal lathe?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
dpb wrote:
Warbler wrote:
I need a Forstner's bit that is 2 3/16th. The typical on-line vendors
offer a 2 1/8th and 2 1/4 size. Anyone know if this size is made?
This is for a production job - need to make 100's of these - so this
is getting bit frustrating.

I won't say _somebody_ won't make one, but I've never seen~1.5" in
anything other than eighths. May have to have that made special if has
to be Forstner and has to be precise.

--

Maybe there is a metric size that approximates this dimension. Didn't take
the trouble to check this out.

Only if a 55.55 mm would be easier to find. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 22, 1:15*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Warbler wrote:
I need a Forstner's bit that is 2 3/16th. *The typical on-line vendors
offer a 2 1/8th and *2 1/4 size. *Anyone know if this size is made?
This is for a production job - need to make 100's of these - so this
is getting bit frustrating.

2 1/4" bit plus metal lathe?

Or a grinder and a jig or a belt sander and a jig. Taking off one
sixteenth ought to be doable.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Oct 22, 1:15 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Warbler wrote:
I need a Forstner's bit that is 2 3/16th. The typical on-line vendors
offer a 2 1/8th and 2 1/4 size. Anyone know if this size is made?
This is for a production job - need to make 100's of these - so this
is getting bit frustrating.

2 1/4" bit plus metal lathe?

Or a grinder and a jig or a belt sander and a jig. Taking off one
sixteenth ought to be doable.

===

we didn't hear what the OP is going to be drilling or why that particular
size is necessary. perhaps the process could be changed instead.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 22, 10:15*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Warbler" wrote in message

I need a Forstner's bit that is 2 3/16th. *The typical on-line vendors
offer a 2 1/8th and *2 1/4 size. *Anyone know if this size is made?
This is for a production job - need to make 100's of these - so this
is getting bit frustrating.

http://yourhome.shoptoit.ca/shop/pro...__locale_en__p...

Hey Leon, do you find it frustrating to link to the exact product,
available at a reasonable price, and still have people offering advice
requiring a machine shop?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Oct 22, 10:15 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Warbler" wrote in message

I need a Forstner's bit that is 2 3/16th. The typical on-line vendors
offer a 2 1/8th and 2 1/4 size. Anyone know if this size is made?
This is for a production job - need to make 100's of these - so this
is getting bit frustrating.

http://yourhome.shoptoit.ca/shop/pro...__locale_en__p...

Hey Leon, do you find it frustrating to link to the exact product,
available at a reasonable price, and still have people offering advice
requiring a machine shop?

It does kinda make me wonder what's on their mind. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 23, 12:19*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

On Oct 22, 10:15 am, "Leon" wrote:

"Warbler" wrote in message

I need a Forstner's bit that is 2 3/16th. The typical on-line vendors
offer a 2 1/8th and 2 1/4 size. Anyone know if this size is made?
This is for a production job - need to make 100's of these - so this
is getting bit frustrating.

http://yourhome.shoptoit.ca/shop/pro...__locale_en__p...

Hey Leon, do you find it frustrating to link to the exact product,
available at a reasonable price, and still have people offering advice
requiring a machine shop? *

It does kinda make me wonder what's on their mind. *;~)

Just proves my wife's point....people don't read.

but I was rather surprised that the OP didn't get DAGS as an
answer

cheers
Bob