Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodworking "Museum" in Berea, KY

Today on the Woodwright's Shop, he visited a museum (they call it a
laboratory, because you can use the tools) for old woodworking machines,
from the 19th century.

It's in Berea, KY, and part of or next to a woodworking school.

Has anyone been there? Is it worth a trip? I'm only about 4 hrs away.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 10, 3:11*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Today on the Woodwright's Shop, he visited a museum (they call it a
laboratory, because you can use the tools) for old woodworking machines,
from the 19th century.

It's in Berea, KY, and part of or next to a woodworking school.

Has anyone been there? *Is it worth a trip? *I'm only about 4 hrs away.

I didn't see the show, but Berea, KY sounded familiar, so I did a
quick Google and turned up this:
http://www.kellymehler.com/newsite/aboutberea.htm
He's written for FWW and has (had?) a great shop, IIRC, that was on a
river and still used the shaft and belt driven machinery. I wonder if
Festool makes any river-powered tools....? If that is the place, it's
a trip I'd certainly take.

But upon further reading I turned up this:
http://www.berea.edu/tia/labs/saulmon.asp
Knowing Roy, I'm sure that's the place shown on his show.
And that place is also something I would very much like to see.

Either way, go, take a camera, post some pictures. That is not a
request!

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 10, 3:11 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Brian Boggs had his shop there for years, as well, altho istr seeing he
had moved to NC.

Berea and area is full of ones you'll have heard of and many you won't,
some of whom are every bit as talented...

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
But upon further reading I turned up this:
http://www.berea.edu/tia/labs/saulmon.asp
Knowing Roy, I'm sure that's the place shown on his show.
And that place is also something I would very much like to see.

Either way, go, take a camera, post some pictures. That is not a
request!

Yeah, I think that's the place.
Might be worth a road trip, or a detour on the way back from a gig or
something.

I'm hoping someone has been there and can say for sure if it's worth the
tip.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)