DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   when to use OSB (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/287885-when-use-osb.html)

coloradotrout September 23rd 09 05:38 PM

when to use OSB

It's cheap, it's pretty tough, it's great for wall and roof
sheathing.

When do you use it around the shop?

I'm thinking to use it to build a sheet storage cart -- basically a
plaftorm on wheels with an A-frame atop it. At $6 a sheet, seems OSB
would server the purpose.

-MIKE- September 23rd 09 06:12 PM

when to use OSB

coloradotrout wrote:
It's cheap, it's pretty tough, it's great for wall and roof
sheathing.

When do you use it around the shop?

I'm thinking to use it to build a sheet storage cart -- basically a
plaftorm on wheels with an A-frame atop it. At $6 a sheet, seems OSB
would server the purpose.

I'm not sure it's worth the savings.
I used it to line a wall of the shop, because.... it's cheap.... and it
takes a screw very well. For that, I'm very pleased.
I've used it as a temporary work table top and would never do that again.

Keep in mind that, in general, one side grips and one side slips, by
design.
It's not something I'd want to be sliding hands or edges of plywood
across, on the grip side.

It also splinters and chips very easily, so depending on manufacture and
cutting blade, can be downright nasty to handle on a cut edge.

For your purpose, I think melamine would be better. It's smooth and
clean and sheets would slide across very easily, and not mark or scratch
against it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Morris Dovey September 23rd 09 06:18 PM

when to use OSB

coloradotrout wrote:
It's cheap, it's pretty tough, it's great for wall and roof
sheathing.

When do you use it around the shop?

I inherited a pile of OSB cut-offs when I moved into my current shop. I
use it for decks on light-duty pallets, and I've used strips to sticker
rough-sawn wood.

It hasn't been a suitable material for anything else I've done.

I'm thinking to use it to build a sheet storage cart -- basically a
plaftorm on wheels with an A-frame atop it. At $6 a sheet, seems OSB
would server the purpose.

It's cheap, but not very durable.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Elrond Hubbard September 23rd 09 10:57 PM

when to use OSB

Morris Dovey wrote in :

coloradotrout wrote:
It's cheap, it's pretty tough, it's great for wall and roof
sheathing.

When do you use it around the shop?

I inherited a pile of OSB cut-offs when I moved into my current shop. I
use it for decks on light-duty pallets, and I've used strips to sticker
rough-sawn wood.

It hasn't been a suitable material for anything else I've done.

I'm thinking to use it to build a sheet storage cart -- basically a
plaftorm on wheels with an A-frame atop it. At $6 a sheet, seems OSB
would server the purpose.

It's cheap, but not very durable.

At work, OSB stands for Obscenely Swelling Board. It's OK for some
interior uses, but not as good as ply for holding fasteners. Any
application that might even think about getting wet is out of the question.

Unless you're talking about Advantec - now THAT's good stuff.

[email protected] September 24th 09 02:39 AM

when to use OSB

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:12:56 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

coloradotrout wrote:
[...]

I'd agree.
My answer to the question is basically one word - NEVER.

I won't use the stuff, at any price, for anything.

Ed Pawlowski September 24th 09 03:19 AM

when to use OSB

"coloradotrout" wrote in message
It's cheap, it's pretty tough, it's great for wall and roof
sheathing.

When do you use it around the shop?

Never have, never will.

Swingman September 24th 09 05:05 AM

when to use OSB

-MIKE- wrote:

I used it to line a wall of the shop, because.... it's cheap.... and it
takes a screw very well. For that, I'm very pleased.
I've used it as a temporary work table top and would never do that again.

On reason I don't use it for construction is that it does NOT hold
screws or nails over time very well ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Puckdropper[_2_] September 24th 09 06:02 AM

when to use OSB

wrote in news:0ejlb5tc91vkkh098c1ne8bg8mru4v9vju@
4ax.com:

I'd agree.
My answer to the question is basically one word - NEVER.

I won't use the stuff, at any price, for anything.

I've got one project with any OSB at all. I used it because the drawer I
was using required a sheeting-based bottom, and all the school shop had
was 1x12's. It is possible to sand OSB to a nice smooth feel, but you're
better off with ply for anything that is touched.

There's actually some left over OSB from an addition in the shed. It's
free (well, already paid for), but still hasn't found its way in to my
material selection process.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Jay Pique September 24th 09 10:43 AM

when to use OSB

wrote:

coloradotrout wrote:
[...]

We build shipping crates from it all the time. And we also use it for
vacuum pressing cauls. And we've even used a little bit as door
panels after we ran it through the widebelt. Funky looking stuff once
it's sanded smooth and finished with some amber shellac. That was
just for kicks though.

JP

SteveBell[_2_] September 24th 09 02:12 PM

when to use OSB

coloradotrout | 2009-09-23 | 11:38:43 AM wrote:

It's cheap, it's pretty tough, it's great for wall and roof
sheathing.

When do you use it around the shop?

I'm thinking to use it to build a sheet storage cart -- basically a
plaftorm on wheels with an A-frame atop it. At $6 a sheet, seems OSB
would server the purpose.

There's a cedar-only lumber yard in Dallas that panelled their office
in OSB. It's ... unique.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

BillGill September 24th 09 02:22 PM

when to use OSB

coloradotrout wrote:
It's cheap, it's pretty tough, it's great for wall and roof
sheathing.

When do you use it around the shop?

I'm thinking to use it to build a sheet storage cart -- basically a
plaftorm on wheels with an A-frame atop it. At $6 a sheet, seems OSB
would server the purpose.

When my brother built his shop back in the 80s he used OSB for panelling
in the cabinet doors. It looked pretty good.

Bill

coloradotrout September 24th 09 04:29 PM

when to use OSB

I've used it for shop/garage shelving.

Jack Stein September 29th 09 04:19 PM

when to use OSB

Jay Pique wrote:

coloradotrout wrote:
It's cheap, it's pretty tough, it's great for wall and roof
sheathing.

My answer to the question is basically one word - NEVER.

I won't use the stuff, at any price, for anything.

We build shipping crates from it all the time. And we also use it for
vacuum pressing cauls. And we've even used a little bit as door
panels after we ran it through the widebelt. Funky looking stuff once
it's sanded smooth and finished with some amber shellac. That was
just for kicks though.

When my son was in high school and working at Macy Dept Store, he called
me one day and said they were tossing out 5 perfectly nice packing boxes
about 3'x3'x12", and thought I should come get them. He said there has
got to be some use, perhaps build a cat house for a feral cat community
living under my shed. They were made of flake board, the stuff used for
roofing today... I built a two story condo, insulated for the cats, and
with no finish at all, they have survived 7 years outside though harsh
Pittsburgh weather. I thought it would last because I knew a guy that
built a cottage on an island in the the river, sided with untreated
flake board. It lasted 20 years before a flood swept the damn thing
away. The stuff is far more durable than people make out. You can't
leave it contact the ground, or it will swell and rot. It can handle a
ton of weather as long as it can dry out, but thats true of any wood,
other than pressure treated stuff.

Go to my web page, (http://jbstein.com) and in the photo gallery, under
cats, the 4th picture has the cat house I made just by screwing two
packing boxes together. Thing is still in perfect shape, still outside,
12 months a year for 7 or so years....

Also, when I built a new bench for my table saw, I used this stuff for
the panels, and as temporary doors till I got around to building real
doors. Damn, I like the look, and probably won't bother.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/TSBench.jpg

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/

LDosser September 29th 09 06:34 PM

when to use OSB

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
snip
Also, when I built a new bench for my table saw, I used this stuff for the
panels, and as temporary doors till I got around to building real doors.
Damn, I like the look, and probably won't bother.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/TSBench.jpg

Looking at the picture of your bench reminds me of a question that's
bothered me for years. Why is it called Oriented when it's obvious it isn't?

Lee Michaels September 29th 09 10:26 PM

when to use OSB

"LDosser" wrote in message
"Jack Stein" wrote in message
snip
Also, when I built a new bench for my table saw, I used this stuff for
the panels, and as temporary doors till I got around to building real
doors. Damn, I like the look, and probably won't bother.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/TSBench.jpg

Looking at the picture of your bench reminds me of a question that's
bothered me for years. Why is it called Oriented when it's obvious it
isn't?

Cuz it is oriented in a horizontal plane. Thus making it flat. Apparently
there was other ways to orient the chunks. But it would not be a
structually sound. Not that OSB is all that strong.

LDosser September 30th 09 12:56 AM

when to use OSB

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"LDosser" wrote in message
"Jack Stein" wrote in message
snip
Also, when I built a new bench for my table saw, I used this stuff for
the panels, and as temporary doors till I got around to building real
doors. Damn, I like the look, and probably won't bother.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/TSBench.jpg

Looking at the picture of your bench reminds me of a question that's
bothered me for years. Why is it called Oriented when it's obvious it
isn't?

Cuz it is oriented in a horizontal plane. Thus making it flat.
Apparently there was other ways to orient the chunks. But it would not be
a structually sound. Not that OSB is all that strong.

OK, then How do they orient it?

FrozenNorth[_4_] September 30th 09 01:00 AM

when to use OSB

LDosser wrote:
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"LDosser" wrote in message
"Jack Stein" wrote in message
snip
Also, when I built a new bench for my table saw, I used this stuff
for the panels, and as temporary doors till I got around to building
real doors. Damn, I like the look, and probably won't bother.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/TSBench.jpg

Looking at the picture of your bench reminds me of a question that's
bothered me for years. Why is it called Oriented when it's obvious it
isn't?

Cuz it is oriented in a horizontal plane. Thus making it flat.
Apparently there was other ways to orient the chunks. But it would
not be a structually sound. Not that OSB is all that strong.

OK, then How do they orient it?

Make it in China?

--
Froz...

Lee Michaels September 30th 09 01:06 AM

when to use OSB

"LDosser" wrote in message
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"LDosser" wrote in message
"Jack Stein" wrote in message
snip
Also, when I built a new bench for my table saw, I used this stuff for
the panels, and as temporary doors till I got around to building real
doors. Damn, I like the look, and probably won't bother.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/TSBench.jpg

Looking at the picture of your bench reminds me of a question that's
bothered me for years. Why is it called Oriented when it's obvious it
isn't?

Cuz it is oriented in a horizontal plane. Thus making it flat.
Apparently there was other ways to orient the chunks. But it would not
be a structually sound. Not that OSB is all that strong.

OK, then How do they orient it?

Horizontal plane, as in flat, as opposed to every which direction. Each of
those chunks all lay flat. That is their orintation. (I guess that means
they are straight) ;)

The manufacturing process, I don't know. I am certain that there are big
presses at work.

J. Clarke September 30th 09 03:10 AM

when to use OSB

Lee Michaels wrote:
"LDosser" wrote in message
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"LDosser" wrote in message
"Jack Stein" wrote in message
snip
[...]

It's more than just "oriented flat". It's designed so that it's stronger in
one direction than in another--that direction will usually be marked on the
panels.

[email protected] September 30th 09 03:40 AM

when to use OSB

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:34:42 -0700, "LDosser"
wrote:

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
snip
Also, when I built a new bench for my table saw, I used this stuff for the
panels, and as temporary doors till I got around to building real doors.
Damn, I like the look, and probably won't bother.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/TSBench.jpg

Looking at the picture of your bench reminds me of a question that's
bothered me for years. Why is it called Oriented when it's obvious it isn't?

It's oriented flat. no strands renning surface to surface

-MIKE- September 30th 09 04:31 AM

when to use OSB

J. Clarke wrote:
[...]

I can't tell if you guys are all blowing smoke up each other's rears or
not. :-)

The "oriented" means, (as with plywood, where they cross hatch the
grain pattern of each ply) the chips or shreds or whatever you want to
call them in OSB, all have their grain oriented in the same direction on
each layer they glue down, or "ply."

And it's not stronger in any direction.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Neil Brooks September 30th 09 04:55 AM

when to use OSB

On Sep 29, 9:31*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
[...]

Dunno' about that....

http://www.cwc.ca/Products/OSB/?Language=EN

"Like waferboard, OSB is made of aspen-poplar strands, southern yellow
pine or mixed hardwood species. However, the strands in the outer
faces of OSB are normally oriented along the long axis of the panel
thereby, like plywood, making it stronger along the long axis as
compared to the narrow axis."

.... or any number of other sources.

-MIKE- September 30th 09 05:01 AM

when to use OSB

Neil Brooks wrote:
On Sep 29, 9:31 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
[...]

I'm not going to argue your source, but when I saw it being made, the
strands went north/south, east/west, every other layer.

Things may have changed since then, as they often do in anything dealing
with evolving technology.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

J. Clarke September 30th 09 06:14 AM

when to use OSB

-MIKE- wrote:
Neil Brooks wrote:
On Sep 29, 9:31 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
[...]

It's an engineered product--the strands have whatever orientation give it
the properties that the engineer wants it to have. If they went
north/south, east/west every other layer, whichever orientation was on the
faces that's the orientation of the stronger axis.

Robatoy[_2_] September 30th 09 02:50 PM

when to use OSB

On Sep 30, 10:39*am, Jack Stein wrote:
*Of course, there is waterproof, and then there is
waterproof...

No there isn't. It is either waterproof or it isn't.

Jack Stein September 30th 09 03:39 PM

when to use OSB

LDosser wrote:
"Jack Stein" wrote in message

Also, when I built a new bench for my table saw, I used this stuff for
the panels, and as temporary doors till I got around to building real
doors. Damn, I like the look, and probably won't bother.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/TSBench.jpg

Looking at the picture of your bench reminds me of a question that's
bothered me for years. Why is it called Oriented when it's obvious it
isn't?

I dunno, I always called it flake board or wafer board, and had the same
question you do. I assume it's supposed to all go in one direction, but
sure doesn't seem to do that, does it? Anyway, the stuff is pretty good
for it's intended purposes. Of interest to me, someone who normally
hates this stuff, I found it OK for doors on my TS bench... surprises
the heck out of me. Even more surprising is in this very thread,
someone else said/did the same thing... Also, I learned long long ago
the stuff is more durable in weather than most people think, just keep
it off the ground.

I think lots of people think of particle board, designed for indoor use
like counter tops as so on, that stuff gets wet, it immediately swells
and falls apart. If glue is not waterproof, it can't get wet. Wood is
waterproof, so if you have a wood product, with waterproof glue, you
should be OK. Of course, there is waterproof, and then there is
waterproof...

Hoosierpopi September 30th 09 03:53 PM

when to use OSB

I've mainly used it for sheathing and covered it with 30# felt and
siding. Have used it in the shop instead of Sheet Rock as it is better
to fasten stuff to.

Just finished a small chicken coop made of the stuff (primed and
painted inside and out!) and a re-enforcing beam some 18' long to tie
the two walls of my shop and support the (metal - 5V Crimp) roof.
There i ran a 2x10 bottom cord from wall to wall and cut and nailed
and glued triangular sections to the rafters above it and itself, then
ran another 2x10 nailed and glued and bolted to it like a sandwich and
"sandwiched" the rafters above as well. I hope it will tie the tow
walls together nicely and will try removing (it was a pole barn I
expanded) one of the poles that I, now, feel is "in the way."

I think it's best not exposed to the weather as wet, it swells.
Notwithstanding some of the comments I read replying to this post. At
Lowes here in NC, its $5.65 a board and a bit cheaper at the local
materials outlet.

Hoosierpopi September 30th 09 03:59 PM

when to use OSB

Why is it called Oriented when it's obvious it isn't?

"adjusted or located in relation to surroundings or circumstances;"

The chips are "oriented" (albeit randomly) with respect to on
another. If they were all "oriented" in one direction, the resulting
panels would not be as strong in any direction (and the panels would
cost more thn solid hardwood owing to the time and effort it would
take to so "orient" each little scrap one so all the grain was lined
up).

http://www.google.com/search?q=defin...ient=firefox-a

Nova September 30th 09 06:24 PM

when to use OSB

LDosser wrote:
"Jack Stein" wrote in message
snip

Also, when I built a new bench for my table saw, I used this stuff for
the panels, and as temporary doors till I got around to building real
doors. Damn, I like the look, and probably won't bother.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/TSBench.jpg

Looking at the picture of your bench reminds me of a question that's
bothered me for years. Why is it called Oriented when it's obvious it
isn't?

The interior ply are oriented with each ply at a right angle to the
next. It's only the outer two surfaces that are random.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

-MIKE- September 30th 09 07:36 PM

when to use OSB

J. Clarke wrote:
[...]

I was thinking that it would make sense to have it stronger in the
lengthwise direction, since in its intended application, the width is
supported by trusses and studs.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

-MIKE- September 30th 09 07:40 PM

when to use OSB

Hoosierpopi wrote:
Why is it called Oriented when it's obvious it isn't?

"adjusted or located in relation to surroundings or circumstances;"

The chips are "oriented" (albeit randomly) with respect to on
another. If they were all "oriented" in one direction, the resulting
panels would not be as strong in any direction (and the panels would
cost more thn solid hardwood owing to the time and effort it would
take to so "orient" each little scrap one so all the grain was lined
up).

http://www.google.com/search?q=defin...ient=firefox-a

Have you seen many industrial manufacturing machines and processes?
They come up with incredibly fast ways to move, locate and place all
kinds of things smaller and lighter than wood chips.
I can't remember how they did it, but when I saw it, the chips all cam
of a conveyor or belt or something, all pointing the same direction.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

[email protected] September 30th 09 08:19 PM

when to use OSB

I wasn't going to tell anybody but I think I have to get it off my
chest. I needed a real workbench and I had to use what I had laying
around, and that was some rough cut white oak two by fours and three
OSB former shelf-boards boards. I laminated the three shelf boards
together with yellow glue, then used the oak for the frame and to band
the edges. I figured "This will last me a couple years and then I'll
build a real one." Got it mostly sanded down, finished it will
Waterlox and put a coat of Johnson's wax on the top. A friend gave me
a couple of old quick release vises. Put some drop-down wheels on it
so I could shove it around the shop when I had to. (That's pretty much
required in that little shop.)

Almost five years later the top is still so flat that I can barely get
a dollar bill underneath the middle of a straightedge across it the
long way, the dog holes haven't crumbled, and it still serves as a
clamping machine and assembly table. It's not especially long or wide
but it's got a lot of mass.

I've decided to hold off on the new bench till I find something about
this one that I don't like. I put a couple drawers in the center
frame. I've grown very attached to it.

J. Clarke September 30th 09 10:31 PM

when to use OSB

-MIKE- wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
[...]

If it's OSB intended for roof sheathing then that is in fact how it's made.
If it's for wall sheathing then the strength might go the other way. There
will be a marking on the faces that shows the direction of the strength
axis.

charlie September 30th 09 11:08 PM

when to use OSB

"LDosser" wrote in message
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Hoosierpopi wrote:
[...]

wood magnets? try
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriente...#Manufacturing

LDosser October 1st 09 12:24 AM

when to use OSB

"charlie" wrote in message

"LDosser" wrote in message
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Hoosierpopi wrote:
[...]

Nothing in that about magnets. :(

-MIKE- October 1st 09 02:22 AM

when to use OSB

J. Clarke wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
I was thinking that it would make sense to have it stronger in the
lengthwise direction, since in its intended application, the width is
supported by trusses and studs.

If it's OSB intended for roof sheathing then that is in fact how it's made.
If it's for wall sheathing then the strength might go the other way. There
will be a marking on the faces that shows the direction of the strength
axis.

I was thinking roof or floor.
There isn't really much strength need for wall sheathing, other than
what it takes to help square the wall, and that's in a different
direction altogether. :-)

There are home builders who will use rigid polystyrene sheets for
sheathing, and just use a half sheet of ply/OSB on the corners. please.

If you're a thief, why waste your time with a door, when all you need is
a cordless reciprocating saw to cut a man sized hole in the freakin wall?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Martin H. Eastburn October 1st 09 03:24 AM

when to use OSB

Jack I think you get indoor use strand with deck board and roof and siding
mixed up.

There is outdoor water proof glue. It makes for a heavier board and is
more expensive. Some builders cheap out.

A big builder in San Jose area was caught a few years after he completed
a housing tract. I think insurance paid and he continues to pay high insurance.

The other one on rood decking - use stainless staples. If you use normal steel
they will rust out and shingles will blow or fall off.

Martin

Jack Stein October 1st 09 02:56 PM

when to use OSB

Hoosierpopi wrote:
Why is it called Oriented when it's obvious it isn't?

The chips are "oriented" (albeit randomly) with respect to on
another.

"Randomly oriented"

Ya gotta love it:-)

Almost as good as deafening silence, or cruel kindness...

--
Jack
Got Change: General Motors ====== Government Motors!